New (Used) Car Help

Posted by Guimengo 
New (Used) Car Help
Date: June 16, 2009 03:35AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hey guys, so my dearly disliked Walrus (2004 Mercury Sable, posted image on different thread) is dying. Got 77.2 k miles on it, and this weekend I had an issue with battery connections that were loose, and as soon as I got it back from the shop my A/C started to fail, an internal issue that isn't solved, the unit has to be replaced.

So, I really want to get myself a compact car or a smaller Sedan. Here in the US we don't have the luxury of fuel-friendly cars that are sold pretty much anywhere outside of the US so to actually get over 25mpg on city is a miracle. My budget is about US$7,000 and I was brainstorming for car models and came up with the following:

- Toyota Corolla
- Honda Civic
- Honda Insight (ugly monstrosity)
- Toyota Prius/Aeris/MotherNaturewhatever (cars that are fuel efficient but take a bigger toll on the environment to be made)
- Ford Focus

I really don't know where to start so I thought I'd find some good help on GPG. Thanks :).

ps: I'd love to get a dark blue Lancer Evo but that's absurd ;)
Re: New (Used) Car Help
Date: June 16, 2009 07:44AM
Posted by: mortal
This has got your name all over it.
Environmentally friendly, small carbon footprint. Easy to park, low running costs, cheap to maintain. A coupe sports sedan, just imagine the wind in your hair as you zoom along the highway. Even the colour is perfect. ;)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 16, 2009 11:27AM
Posted by: The Lopper
Date: June 16, 2009 04:38PM
I can see myself zooming on the highway after getting smashed by a truck :P.

I just decided to take the Focus out of that list... it's frustrating to not have decent cheap cars in this country!
Date: June 16, 2009 04:54PM
Posted by: Nickv
Guimengo schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - Honda Insight (ugly monstrosity)

I looked that up and bloody hell, that's ugly! It's like they welded the back of the Citroen DS to the front of a Prius. Ugh.

As for the efficient car: I saw there are old Priuses going for less than 7000. But the question is, how badly do you want to save on fuel? ;)
Date: June 16, 2009 04:59PM
Posted by: MattB
Out of them was going to be between a civic and Focus.

Good choice (A good choice from Gui?! :S), Focus' are generally good drives, quite good suspensions. What engine/spec are you thinking of?

Date: June 16, 2009 05:46PM
Posted by: msater
What the %^#% have they done to the back wheels on the first generation Honda Insight? Looks like they've covered them :P

Word of advice: Get a Toyota. Cheap, reliable and comfortable. (or by my standards, anyway) :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 16, 2009 06:53PM
Posted by: harjinator
I agree with the Toyota opinion. mine's been bulletproof, and she's 15 years old. Only expected things have needed doing (new rad and new exhaust back box) but seeing as both were the factory fit, i think they'd served their purpose! nippy little thing too! can out accelerate a 09 plate fiesta no problem

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: June 16, 2009 08:07PM
Matt, I'm not really worried about 0-60 or anything, just something that will go and be fuel efficient. Would be nice if the car could go past 100mph though, for the occasional super long drives where doing 95-100 for 30s helps save overall time (A).

Edit: I forgot to mention, it has to be able to withstand some heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures... and drive reasonably on those :P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 08:08PM by Guimengo.
Date: June 16, 2009 10:05PM
I didnt say anything about 0-60 :S I said good suspension, if you need me to expand on that, it means that its a good, comfortable ride and corners well. FFS.

Date: June 16, 2009 10:27PM
I was responding to the engine aspect part, I got the rest from your post.
"What engine/spec are you thinking of?"
Date: June 16, 2009 11:16PM
Posted by: Vader
Focus is a good choice.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 17, 2009 12:46AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> I was responding to the engine aspect part, I got
> the rest from your post.
> "What engine/spec are you thinking of?"

I.E. Petrol/Diesel, Zetec, Ghia, Hatchback/Saloon/Estate etc...

Date: June 17, 2009 02:32AM
I don't really mind petrol or diesel, however diesel here has prices that vary a lot here. Right now is cheaper but prices are so unreliable... I don't know what Ghia means, I'd be ok with saloon or hatchback, an Estate is too big for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 02:53AM by Guimengo.
Date: June 17, 2009 01:38PM
Posted by: Sapo
I'd go for the Focus. Nice design, very comfortable drive.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: June 17, 2009 05:18PM
The feedback on the Focus is overwhelmingly good here in the forum! Here in the US people don't say the same, from what I've gathered recently. It must be down to the quality of the parts... once again, European is better :(.

Any idea how a Focus would fit a 1.915m tall person? I don't fit in a Mazda Miata, for example.
Date: June 18, 2009 04:14AM
Posted by: Sapo
Guimengo schreef:
> The feedback on the Focus is overwhelmingly good
> here in the forum! Here in the US people don't say
> the same, from what I've gathered recently. It
> must be down to the quality of the parts... once
> again, European is better :(.
>
> Any idea how a Focus would fit a 1.915m tall
> person? I don't fit in a Mazda Miata, for example.

Guess your length is not a problem, if fitted in fine and I am 1,86. And about the US people not be as enthousiastic as we are about the Focus: it's a particulary European car, US people might have other demands for a car.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: June 18, 2009 07:04AM
I am getting that vibe too, they just aren't used to such. I still have to go on a test drive with all of them, the Focus may even be fine in the heavy snow for all I know!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy