Swine flu at highest alert

Posted by micky-cannonball 
Swine flu at highest alert
Date: June 11, 2009 05:23PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
WHO: Swine flu pandemic has begun, 1st in 41 years

Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Play Video ABC News – Swine Flu to Be Declared Pandemic
AP – A woman wearing a surgical face mask leaves a hospital in Buenos Aires, Wednesday, June 10, 2009. A flood … BY MARIA CHENG and FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writer Maria Cheng And Frank Jordans, Associated Press Writer – 8 mins ago
GENEVA – The World Health Organization told its member nations it was declaring a swine flu pandemic Thursday — the first global flu epidemic in 41 years — as infections climbed in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere.

In a statement sent to member countries, WHO said it decided to raise the pandemic warning level from phase 5 to 6 — its highest alert — after holding an emergency meeting on swine flu with its experts.

The long-awaited pandemic decision is scientific confirmation that a new flu virus has emerged and is quickly circling the globe. It will trigger drugmakers to speed up production of a swine flu vaccine and prompt governments to devote more money toward efforts to contain the virus.

"At this early stage, the pandemic can be characterized globally as being moderate in severity," WHO said in the statement, urging nations not to close borders or restrict travel and trade. ";(We) remain in close dialogue with influenza vaccine manufacturers."

On Wednesday, WHO said 74 countries had reported nearly 27,737 cases of swine flu, including 141 deaths.

The agency has stressed that most cases are mild and require no treatment, but the fear is that a rash of new infections could overwhelm hospitals and health authorities — especially in poorer countries.

Still, about half of the people who have died from swine flu were previously young and healthy — people who are not usually susceptible to flu.

Swine flu is also continuing to spread during the start of summer in the northern hemisphere. Normally, flu viruses disappear with warm weather, but swine flu is proving to be resilient.

The last pandemic — the Hong Kong flu of 1968 — killed about 1 million people. Ordinary flu kills about 250,000 to 500,000 people each year.

Many health experts say WHO's pandemic declaration could have come weeks earlier but the agency became bogged down by politics. In May, several countries urged WHO not to declare a pandemic, fearing it would cause social and economic turmoil.

"This is WHO finally catching up with the facts," said Michael Osterholm, a flu expert at the University of Minnesota who has advised the U.S. government on pandemic preparations.

Despite WHO's hopes, raising the epidemic alert to the highest level will almost certainly spark some panic about spread of swine flu.

Fear has already gripped Argentina, where thousands of people worried about swine flu flooded into hospitals this week, bringing emergency health services in the capital of Buenos Aires to the brink of collapse. Last month, a bus arriving in Argentina from Chile was stoned by people who thought a passenger on it had swine flu. Chile has the most swine flu cases in South America.

In Hong Kong on Thursday, the government ordered all kindergartens and primary schools closed for two weeks after a dozen students tested positive for swine flu — a move that some flu experts would consider an overreaction.

In the United States, where there have been more than 13,000 cases and at least 27 deaths from swine flu, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the move would not change how the U.S. tackled swine flu.

"Our actions in the past month have been as if there was a pandemic in this country," Glen Nowak, a CDC spokesman, said Thursday.

The U.S. government has already taken steps like increasing availability of flu-fighting medicines and authorizing $1 billion for the development of a new vaccine against the novel virus. In addition, new cases seem to be declining in many parts of the country, U.S. health officials say, as North America moves out of its traditional winter flu season.

Still, Osterholm said the declaration was a wake-up call for the world.

"I think a lot of people think we're done with swine flu, but you can't fall asleep at the wheel," he said. "We don't know what's going to happen in the next 6 to 12 months."

___

Medical Writer Maria Cheng reported from London. Mike Stobbe in Atlanta, Jill Lawless in London, Dikky Sinn in Hong Kong, Vincente L. Panetta in Buenos Aires and Bradley S. Klapper in Geneva also contributed to this report.

-Credit Belongs to Yahoo!-

@topic - Sounds, another vacation for me! :)

Re: Swine flu at highest alert
Date: June 11, 2009 06:33PM
Posted by: mika19b
Here we go again.......

Im bored of this Swine Flu crap now.
Date: June 11, 2009 06:56PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE! PLEASE SAVE US LORD VADER.

Date: June 11, 2009 07:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think he's obliged to. I mean, we all sold our soul to him when we registered. The least he could do is take care of us ;)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: NickKK
I propose a competition - whoever comes up with the silliest cause of death which kills as many people as swine flu wins.
I'm pretty sure more people die a year as a result of falling pet ferrets or stepping on a hedgehog..

Date: June 12, 2009 12:16AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
The aporkalypse is imminent!
Date: June 12, 2009 01:04AM
Posted by: Sapo
Iceman-Kimi schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE! PLEASE SAVE US LORD
> VADER.

I guess he'd rather see us die on more horrible, bloody, painfull and slow ways. On the other hand, dying on swine flu wouldn't exactly fit into that picture. So I guess Lord Vader would just torture and kill you on his own, more/most terrible manner to prevent you to die from swine flu Byron :D

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: June 12, 2009 12:29PM
Posted by: The Lopper
@ NickKK checkout the Darwin Awards!

Not quite vast numbers killed, but there are some awesome deaths there.
Date: June 12, 2009 02:10PM
Posted by: anze89
they are IMHO overreacting. It seems that they have too much flu cure and they want to sell it and make as much profit as possible

Date: June 12, 2009 03:06PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
They're quite right to be labelling it a pandemic, it's just not (perhaps yet) severe enough to be causing the death we're all concerned about
Date: June 13, 2009 12:14PM
Posted by: Vader
The Lopper Wrote:
> @ NickKK checkout the Darwin Awards!
>
> Not quite vast numbers killed, but there are some
> awesome deaths there.

I recommend to buy this:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Death by Spaghetti: Bizarre, Baffling and Bonkers True Stories from "In the News" by Paul Sussman.

Synopsis
When Juan Ruiz became chef in a Mexican restaurant, little did he know that his job would kill him - literally - impaled on his own spaghetti by a hurricane. This, and other bizarre stories from around the world, can be found in this book, of which all royalties go to "The Big Issue" Foundation.

Apart from that: EVERYTHING DIES, so get over it.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 13, 2009 03:33PM
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back? ;)

That sounds brilliant, I'll add it to my ever-growing list of "books-for-the-summer". Been reading The Dead School by Pat McCabe, nearly finished, it's a great read. Wuthering Heights next.
Date: June 13, 2009 09:13PM
Posted by: Nickv
The Lopper schreef:
> Wuthering Heights next.

Heathcliff, it's me, it's Cathy, I've come home now...
Date: June 14, 2009 01:25PM
Date: June 14, 2009 10:44PM
Posted by: Muks_C
let me in to your window!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: June 16, 2009 05:52AM
Posted by: Covfan
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> They're quite right to be labelling it a pandemic,
> it's just not (perhaps yet) severe enough to be
> causing the death we're all concerned about

At the risk of being sensible and agreeing with Mika he's right. It's going to be around 3/4 months time when it'll start to be at it's worst in the Northern Hemisphere and it could make a huge impact.
Date: June 16, 2009 07:39AM
Posted by: mortal
At the risk of sensationalism, this might just be what we have to look forward to. TPTB are keeping this past flu pandemic (linked to swine and avian) out of the news. Let's not panic the masses.
[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 16, 2009 09:04AM
Posted by: EC83
TBH I don't think this one will be that bad. Because it's the same subtype, and flu viruses naturally evolve to less and less deadly strains, in order for the virus to try and guarantee its own survival.

The scary thing which could happen is if it cross-mutates with the bird flu one - quite possible, since the pig is the common breeding ground for human and bird flu viruses. But then again, scientists will have been working on vaccines and treatments for both these viruses, so as and when a hybrid emerges they should quickly be able to come up with an effective treatment for it. Treatments like Tamiflu are sure to have an effect on it as well.

Something which, of course, didn't exist in 1918.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy