Any Beatles fans?

Posted by mortal 
Any Beatles fans?
Date: May 20, 2009 01:17AM
Posted by: mortal
Abbey Road is one of my favorite albums.
I think the published lyrics to Polythelene Pam are incorrect. They say "She's the kind of a girl that makes the news of the world" and he is clearly saying something else. Trouble is, I can't quite pick exactly what it is, the last word sounds like veil or avail. Any opinions on it?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 09:58AM by mortal.
Re: Any Beatles fans?
Date: May 20, 2009 02:24AM
Posted by: danm
it is 'news of the world', a reference to a really tabloid paper over here, in the sense that if she makes news of the world, she was probably outrageous or a trashy person, a la jordan/jodie marsh etc.

i think the confusion is lennons really strong accent here, really strong for liverpool, probably done on purpose in one of his weird ways.

a strong, lower class-esque scouse accent also adds to the whole pam being a news of the world skank analogy.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 02:44AM by danm.
Date: May 20, 2009 02:47AM
Hmmm, sure doesn't sound like it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: May 20, 2009 06:14AM
Posted by: danm
It is definitely news of the world, the scouse has been taken to epic proportions.

Ends up sounding like 'neuu sa thuuu wuuuh' with a stuffy nose, just like this character 'pam' is meant to be - scummy sounding!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 20, 2009 09:15AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I just had a listen on youtube to jog the memory, it's definitely "news of the world"....the only problem as far as i can hear is that he doesn't quite round out the d in world, which is pretty acceptable given the pace of the lyrics
Date: May 20, 2009 10:22AM
Posted by: senninho
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Abbey Road is one of my favorite albums.
> I think the published lyrics to Polythelene Pam
> are incorrect. They say "She's the kind of a girl
> that makes the news of the world" and he is
> clearly saying something else. Trouble is, I can't
> quite pick exactly what it is, the last word
> sounds like veil or avail. Any opinions on it?

#1 forum Beatles fan here - in a tribute band and everything ;-)

This one's actually in our setlist. The lyrics are:

She's the kind of a girl
That makes the News of the World
Yeah, you could say she was attractively built!

I think the confusion might be because of the exaggerated Scouse accent John sings in on this - the words World, yes and you are pretty much one continuous sound.

As for the implication - as Dan mentions, the NoTW is a very tabloid paper, that does enjoy publishing anything that involves 'attractively built' lyrics.

I think the best example of over-Scouseing is the second verse. Before i read the lyrics, i was completely unable to decipher what he was singing...

Date: May 20, 2009 11:02AM
I shall accept the adjudication. :-)

Date: May 20, 2009 09:46PM
Posted by: Vader
He pronounces is more like "willed" but from my knowledge of phonetics and phonology I support what has been said. It should be "world".

I love the Beatles. Sgt.Pepper is brilliant. So is Abbey Road and a lot more ...

Not exactly a Beatles cover band, but it still rocks (and they are huge fans, too ...)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 11:12PM by Vader.
Date: May 21, 2009 09:25PM
Posted by: jimbob1
the lyric is "She's the kind of a girl that makes the news of the world"
it's john putting on a heavier scouse accent " he lived in a middle class area with his aunt mimi,so he heavied up his liverpool twang a bit..so he does this here & that makes the word >world sound wuurld.
he's refering to the 60's news of the world newspaper where the page 3 girl was usually topless & had saucy stories to boot. his reference was a compliment of sorts to her wilder side & perhaps big baps :)....polythene pam was an unfinished song john grouped together with pauls to make the great set collectively that
ends with She Came In Through the Bathroom Window.

depends where you read but info is usually different.

Polythene Pam

Another of Lennon's, this was inspired by two people. The first was a girl who was a fan in their Cavern Club days. She had a habit of eating polythene, and was known as Polythene Pat. The next was a girl named Stephanie, who dressed in a polythene bag, whom he met on the Isle of Guernsey. It seems that John spent the night with her in what was described as a near-orgy. These two experiences developed into Polythene Pam.

or

John Lennon wrote this about a bizarre night he spent with poet Royston Ellis and his girlfriend Stephanie. The 3 put on polythene bags and slept in the same bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 09:33PM by jimbob1.
Date: May 23, 2009 10:23AM
The Beatles Bible has a fair bit of info on it, and they are usually very well researched:

[www.beatlesbible.com]

Particularly interesting is that the version on the anthology actually doesn't have that lyric at all.

Date: May 23, 2009 11:15AM
Posted by: airefresco
senninho Wrote:

> Particularly interesting is that the version on
> the anthology actually doesn't have that lyric at
> all.

Yeah it does at 0:38 it´s kinda mumbled and again at 0:51, which is pretty much the same as the proper version.
Date: May 23, 2009 12:04PM
airefresco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> senninho Wrote:
>
> > Particularly interesting is that the version on
> > the anthology actually doesn't have that lyric
> at
> > all.
>
> Yeah it does at 0:38 it´s kinda mumbled and again
> at 0:51, which is pretty much the same as the
> proper version.

The Beatles Bible
The Kinfauns demo was eventually released in 1996 on Anthology 3. In it, the line "She's the kind of a girl that makes the News of the World" is replaced by "Well it's a little absurd but she's a nice class of bird". There are also variations in the song's chords.

Date: May 23, 2009 12:13PM
That´s half right. That bit they say is replaced is sort of right. The vocals are double tracked, one says (left side) the nice class bird bit, but on the other track (right side) he starts with the news of the world bit and kind mumbles through it. Then the second time clearly says the news of the world on both tracks.

The point being, he still news of the world on both versions :)
Date: May 23, 2009 03:42PM
Oh, i getcha. Typical Lennon flubbing of backing vocals/double tracking then ;)

There's a classy amount of that in I want to hold your hand :)

Date: May 23, 2009 08:47PM
The best one is on "and your bird can sing" on Anthology 2. I can´t here that song without laughing. You need headphones on for the full effect of epicness. :)
Date: May 23, 2009 10:35PM
Ah yes, that one is Paul, but no-one knows what started him off :)

Another good'un is John forgetting the words to Don't Let me Down:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

/edit found this one too!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 10:39PM by senninho.
Date: May 23, 2009 11:09PM
Posted by: EC83
Love The Beatles, especially their psychedelic material. Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby are my favourites.

Date: May 24, 2009 12:48PM
Posted by: Zcott
I'm a big fan of their later stuff - Abbey Road and the White Album are all truly fantastic albums.

Date: May 24, 2009 08:39PM
Posted by: Muks_C
classic clip from Alan Partridge about The Beatles:

">

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy