Spotify

Posted by msater 
Spotify
Date: April 09, 2009 07:17PM
Posted by: msater
Anyone else use Spotify? It's a great piece of software, I use it too look up new artists and bands, then I buy the albums on iTunes.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Re: Spotify
Date: April 09, 2009 09:27PM
Posted by: Nickv
then I buy the albums on iTunes.

Suuuuuuure ;)
Date: April 09, 2009 09:35PM
Posted by: matt3454
Buying off iTunes is a con. If you want the song, buy the physical copy. Maybe thats just me though.

Date: April 09, 2009 09:46PM
Posted by: Zcott
Just you. If I can buy an album for either £7 or £15, I'll choose the cheaper option.

Seems I'm not the only one, either. In a recent survey, 71% of American teenagers said they downloaded music as opposed to buying from a retail outlet. And the majority of people who bought from an online store used iTunes (97%).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 10:15PM by Zcott.
Date: April 09, 2009 10:15PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i've never bought an album off itunes, i always prefer to get albums as a cd, but i get all of my individual tracks from iTunes. seems good to me lol now everything is plus :P

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 10, 2009 01:31AM
Posted by: The Lopper
It's a personal thing I guess. I always prefer to buy CDs (or, on rare occasions, vinyls) because I really appreciate the cover art, the liner notes, etc etc. Plus, and I know a lot of people will scoff at this, but I am convinced that music on a cd sounds better than an mp3. It certainly sounds better on vinyl.
Date: April 11, 2009 04:47PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a personal thing I guess. I always prefer to
> buy CDs (or, on rare occasions, vinyls) because I
> really appreciate the cover art, the liner notes,
> etc etc. Plus, and I know a lot of people will
> scoff at this, but I am convinced that music on a
> cd sounds better than an mp3. It certainly sounds
> better on vinyl.

+1.

I always prefer CDs, mostly because iTunes et al don't offer a guaranteed lossless version from the master (unlikely anyway) or the CD, whereas if I rip from CD > FLAC, I have a lossless version I can keep and then archive the CD for safekeeping. Downloading these days seems too impersonal, and I'm only 20!

Plus, iTunes whack DRM on most of their things, and until they remove it on all their downloads, I won't go anywhere near it. Won't install it on XP either since updates break it. (Apple don't like Microsoft and vice versa.)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: April 17, 2009 07:44PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Zcott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just you. If I can buy an album for either £7 or
> £15, I'll choose the cheaper option.

£15?!? I think the most I've ever spent on a CD is £9.99, and even then that's very rare, usually around £7, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I prefer having a physical copy of what I'm buying. As far as I'm aware, all of my mates are CD buyers as well (I'm 21 by the way).

Spotify - looks interesting, I might give it a try soon.
Date: April 17, 2009 08:02PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I prefer to buy my music from Russian websites :P
Date: April 17, 2009 09:24PM
Posted by: Frantic
I prefer the phyisical ones, and the vynils!!!

Date: April 19, 2009 04:41PM
count.bazley Wrote:

>
> £15?!? I think the most I've ever spent on a CD
> is £9.99 [snip]

Yeah, but a lot of the stuff I want to listen to isn't available in mass market places like Zavvi or even Play.com, so it involves either buying it from Amazon and getting it delivered (expensive and slow) or finding it on iTunes and buying it there.

Check out Spotify, though, it's a good service.

>
> Plus, iTunes whack DRM on most of their things,
> and until they remove it on all their downloads, I
> won't go anywhere near it. Won't install it on XP
> either since updates break it. (Apple don't like
> Microsoft and vice versa.)

Not anymore; all the stuff has had the DRM stripped from it. The file itself contains your iTunes username if you dig deep enough, but you can play it on anything now.

Date: April 20, 2009 10:41AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
iTunes also jacked up the price recently. Amazon sells MP3s for cheaper. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 21, 2009 02:46AM
iTunes jacked up the price in States for certain tracks, but made less popular ones cheaper. Just fyi. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy