Cadburys Dairy Milk Advert

Posted by gin 
Re: Cadburys Dairy Milk Advert
Date: March 23, 2009 09:56PM
Posted by: Nickv
I doubt if these 'empty' commercials help anyway. It's just telling you the brand and that's it. How's that going to attract more customers? If a commercial makes me buy something it's because the product has specific characteristics that I want or because it's been lowered in price. Neither have been mentioned in that ad.
Date: March 23, 2009 10:04PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I give up. It's a crap ad.
Date: March 23, 2009 10:33PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Red Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interestingly, the gorilla ad won loads of awards,
> but evidence suggested that the sales of Dairy
> Milk didn't go up at all.

You can't just solely look at that though - who's to say sales wouldn't have dropped without the ad? Did chocolate sales everywhere go down? Was there a new competitor? Did Cadbury's cannibalise itself with a new range of chocolates?

etc etc.

I've now typed Cadbury's twice, as lopper said on a motorsports forum. A good ad does this. I, like it or not, now have cadbury's (3!) at least in my subconscious, so next time i'm buying chocolate (admittedly in my case, never) there's a greater chance i'll choose that brand. Pure and basic logic, people!
Date: March 23, 2009 11:01PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> Red Sam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Interestingly, the gorilla ad won loads of
> awards,
> > but evidence suggested that the sales of Dairy
> > Milk didn't go up at all.
>
>
> You can't just solely look at that though - who's
> to say sales wouldn't have dropped without the ad?
> Did chocolate sales everywhere go down? Was there
> a new competitor? Did Cadbury's cannibalise itself
> with a new range of chocolates?
>
> etc etc.
>
> I've now typed Cadbury's twice, as lopper said on
> a motorsports forum. A good ad does this. I, like
> it or not, now have cadbury's (3!) at least in my
> subconscious, so next time i'm buying chocolate
> (admittedly in my case, never) there's a greater
> chance i'll choose that brand. Pure and basic
> logic, people!

Strange, the other day I was going to buy some chocolate, and saw bars of Dairy Milk. Then I remembered how crap the gorilla and eyebrows adverts are, and thought "@#$%& you Cadbury's, I'm having a Yorkie"
Date: March 23, 2009 11:08PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
you're a lot more conscientious than your average joe shopper then ;)
Date: March 23, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: Monza972
Dude looks hilarious at the end he seems he can't stop himself laughing :p
Date: March 24, 2009 01:44AM
Posted by: MattB
Ads ftw. Simply for the tune, it was my ringtone as soon as I first heard it haha.

Date: March 25, 2009 01:01AM
Posted by: Red Sam
Ads these days are also normally blatant copies of lesser known works off of YouTube or somesuch.

Anyone who reads the Ad Nauseum column in Private Eye magazine will see lots of examples of this.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: March 25, 2009 04:08AM
Posted by: danm
the best version of that advert has to be the one where alan carr (LOL) and lil allen spoof it. so bad, yet so funny!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 25, 2009 04:42AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Nickv Wrote:
> I doubt if these 'empty' commercials help anyway.
> It's just telling you the brand and that's it.
> How's that going to attract more customers? If a
> commercial makes me buy something it's because the
> product has specific characteristics that I want
> or because it's been lowered in price. Neither
> have been mentioned in that ad.

To add to this: Brand Awareness only works if the brand is unknown. Why get the Cadburys brand out there? We all know it. We all know what they sell, and we all know if we like it by now. I don't tend to buy much chocolate, but I never tend to buy cadburys, and I certainly wont because of some crap ads that tell me the name.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 25, 2009 01:48PM
So should any well known brands advertise anymore? Cadbury's, Coca-Cola, Budweiser, Vodafone etc etc...
Date: March 25, 2009 01:58PM
No they should continue to advertise. But not just giving the name, but they should describe the product, explain why theirs is better than anybody elses. Coca-Cola is a great example. Have you ever seen a Coca-Cola ad that explained why you should buy it (besides Coca-Cola Zero or Light)? I haven't. People who drink Pepsi won't switch to Coca-Cola because of the endless broadcasting of that ad with those Coca-Cola trucks around X-mas for example. Giving the name only works when your company is relatively unknown and even then I think it isn't the best way.

Vodafone ads have things like new phones, new tarifs or faster internet. They say: this is what we have, this is what it can do, this is what it costs and because it's better than all the rest, you should buy it. Coca-Cola ads have a machine with a fairy world inside... Good for the awards, but I doubt it increases sales.
The only effect I imagine such commercials can have is that when you see it that you remember that you should put it on your shopping list or that you have forgotten to buy it at the supermarket this morning and that you'll buy it. But that doesn't attract new customers. Also the same effect can be reached by having the Vodafone-like ads.

/rant over :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 02:01PM by Nickv.
Date: March 25, 2009 01:59PM
Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 01:59PM by Nickv.
Date: March 25, 2009 01:59PM
Wow, triple post! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 02:00PM by Nickv.
Date: March 25, 2009 02:14PM
So companies such as Cadbury's and Coca-Cola have such large shares of the market that they have no reason to advertise for more customers. All they can do is enhance the perception of the company. Cadbury's for example had a number of health scares with their products in recent years. Now instead of "salmonella company" they're "weird funny ad with gorillas and eyebrows" company to a lot of people. Similiar with Coca-Cola. Instead of "bottled tap-water" company they might have been seen after the Dasani fiasco, a quirky ad may make people see them in a better light.

I need chocolate. Think I'll have a Dairy Milk, haven't had one in a while. ;)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
they're controlling your mind, Lopper! their crap ads are working!!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 25, 2009 09:05PM
;-) Actually I like Cadbury's and specifically Dairy Milks/Golden Crunches anyway. Regular chocolate consumption doesn't really work with student budgeting. The last tv advertising that properly brainwashed me was the Jolly Rancher advertising that hit Ireland in the mid 90s. I think there was actually subliminal messaging going on there, cause every kid in my school was infatuated with getting a packet of them. Then we did and they were crap. JR only lasted about 4 months here.
Date: March 25, 2009 09:16PM
Posted by: gin
Lol you people seem to know very little about marketing, trust me that add works, we all noticed it all over the world. Also, you see to question how this add may work and yet you do not question companies who sponsor F1 teams, some of their logos are tiny and i never even notice them, yet these guys pay millions for those stickers....

What ever you may THINK you know, people in suits know better and they dont just throw millions away on adds that do not work. Especially not huge companies like this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 09:17PM by gin.
Date: March 25, 2009 09:20PM
Posted by: gav
gin Wrote:
> What ever you may THINK you know, people in suits
> know better and they dont just throw millions away
> on adds that do not work. Especially not huge
> companies like this one.

[www.earthdream.co.uk]
Date: March 25, 2009 11:36PM
Posted by: Muks_C
gin Wrote:
> Lol you people seem to know very little about
> marketing, trust me that add works, we all noticed
> it all over the world. Also, you see to question
> how this add may work and yet you do not question
> companies who sponsor F1 teams, some of their
> logos are tiny and i never even notice them, yet
> these guys pay millions for those stickers....
>
> What ever you may THINK you know, people in suits
> know better and they dont just throw millions away
> on adds that do not work. Especially not huge
> companies like this one.

i disagree with most of this post. in my opinion, advertising doesn't really work, i don't think it necessarily increases sales of a particular product, or a company's range products. it does, however, raise brand awareness, which is a completely separate thing.

i could probably name most of the sponsors on most of the F1 cars from last season, but i probably wouldn't know what most of them did/sold. and i probably wouldn't buy, or wouldn't have bought in the past, any of their products based on their association with F1. i may be aware of the brands, but that wouldn't translate into me buying a particular product on the strength of that awareness.

any idiot can throw millions of dollars at something, it doesn't mean they know what they're doing.

if they spent 1 million dollars on the Cadbury's Dairy Milk ads, i doubt that translated into 1 million dollars of extra sales. everyone who has discussed those ads won't have bought more Dairy Milks than they normally would.

in that sense, advertising is purely speculative, you hope that the money you spend on an advertising campaign improves your sales, but it is certainly not guaranteed, and is just a gamble.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy