Pictures of the recession

Posted by chrislewis 
Pictures of the recession
Date: March 21, 2009 06:59PM
Posted by: chrislewis
Haven't seen much of this topic talked about so thought I would post this link showing the rawness of it in pictures. Wondering what it's like for you guys?

[www.boston.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 07:21PM by chrislewis.
Re: Pictures of the recession
Date: March 22, 2009 12:40AM
Posted by: The Lopper
It's all these abandoned housing estates that are a real reminder. Amazingly, I was talking to some local builders today and they've got three projects just taken on this week, they reckon that'll tide them over well into the summer at least. It's next year, when the effect of the collapse in mortgaging comes in, that they're truly f**ked.

Dunno what it's like anywhere else, but the government here are at sea. It ain't getting better any time soon.
Date: March 22, 2009 02:27AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Seems to be driving down house prices, which is good news for me since I'll be looking for one in a couple of years. Am absolutely f**ked when I graduate for a job though, a placement one's hard to come by since they get snapped up by the more qualified people so quickly.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 22, 2009 02:41AM
Posted by: torana_05
building industry where i am workin seems to be dying. trying to find jobs in painting is hard because not many people wnat to pump their work through fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 03:04AM by torana_05.
Date: March 22, 2009 07:39AM
Posted by: casabonka
Sales is a tough market to be in also, regardless of the product... bring on busier times!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: March 22, 2009 08:01AM
Posted by: mortal
Recession? I cannot get a builder to help with a house extension, and finding someone to do 100 metres of rural fencing, nah mate, call me back in a few months. The floor tiles in the kitchen need ripping up and replacing, can I find a floor tiler that wants the job....not a chance. I'll probably have to do the lot myself.
I put up an advert at the local store for someone to come out and do some brush cutting, using my equipment, my fuel. A days work, and what do I get, people call up and want thirty bucks an hour, cash money! Get out of here! They don't even have an ABN number, they wont be paying tax, and they don't have any personal accident insurance either. If they injure themselves on my property I'm the one they'll sue! I'll have to find the time to do that myself as well. Talk about pricing yourself out of a job! You would think they'd be lining up at my gate for the work at eighteen to twenty bucks an hour, that I'd pay. Probably better off without them, the last time I hired some guy to do some work, he came back when I was out and stole my chainsaw and mower and a heap of tools. Damn druggie hippies. FFS!!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 22, 2009 08:12AM
Posted by: torana_05
ill come and paint for ya mortal if ya need any lol

Date: March 22, 2009 08:28AM
Posted by: mortal
lol, I've been painting all day today, tomorrow I have the laundry and bathroom ceiling and walls in the granny flat to do.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 22, 2009 09:20AM
Posted by: gav
Electricians and plumbers and things seem to be doing fine here at the moment - probably because a lot of the Poles have disappeared back. ;)

While it was looking really poor originally (our household were struggling), things have picked up... and it's been great news for our jobs. A couple of year back our school was due to close at the end of this year, but the County Council making a series of cockups combined with this downturn means there's little hope of it happening in the next few years, and if they force it through in that time, there'll be public lynchings.

So to sum up - get a job in the public sector if at all possible. ;)
Date: March 22, 2009 04:58PM
Posted by: sasjag
We've noticed it at work in that our work has reduced by roughly 25% on 'my' shift, but the later shift is as strong as ever really. We'll be fine since we're one of the largest companies and dont have any debts/loans so not really affecting us to any extent so far.

Our household has been feeling it a bit, my dad's self employed builder/plumber and this last week was teh first time he's had any real work in over 2months - people still need stuff fixing, but they aint going out and wanting new bathrooms/kitchens so not much for him to do.

With interest rates low as well not paying so much on my overdraft (roughly £5 month now, as opposed to £20). I know one guy at work has saved £500 a month in his mortgage!

I give it 18months to 2years before we're out of it

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 22, 2009 09:09PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I heard on the radio that our area is one of the worst hit by the recession. We've got an average of 60 people for every 1 job available. My old favourite shop closed down, too - Mad4Motorsports :( It sold minichamps, posters, videos, tickets to the grand prix, pretty much everything. I decided to walk there one day, only to find it completely empty with a note on the door saying thanks to everyone.

Apart from the jobs and shops closing down, though, our area seems hardly any different at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 09:10PM by flat tyre.
Date: March 22, 2009 09:45PM
Posted by: MattB
Our profits are up! People still loving their cheap fast food.

Date: March 23, 2009 12:59AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
yeah i heard that most of the fast food joints are doing a roaring trade.

and gav, public sector jobs FTW :D
Date: March 23, 2009 01:50AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
People will always have to eat, and lorries can't be unloaded during the day because of delivery restrictions. My job is safe.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 23, 2009 08:08AM
Posted by: chrislewis
I thought it would be worse for you guys in the UK so that's a good thing to hear at least for some. As the saying goes if your neighbour loses his job it's a recession, when you lose yours it's a depression. Hopefully things don't get that bad.

Gotta watch out for inflation now & rising interest rates.

Date: March 23, 2009 09:25AM
Posted by: Nickv
Things will get that bad. Unemployment here will likely hit 9% in 2010, while it was only 3,75% last December. I reckon the increase be around the same in the most of Europe.

Until trust increases again, it will deteriorate. It's madness that the whole world economy runs on something stupid as trust really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy