Probably a very easy maths question (trigonometry)

Posted by superchargednut 
Before I get told to 'go ask your teacher' i'll make sure you know that it's not my work, but a friend asked me to help and since doing GCSE last year i've forgotten how to do this part of trig since starting AS.

'Find angle ABC' says the question.

I know how to find angles and sides with a right angled triangle, but if anyone could quickly run past me the method here then i'm sure i'll be able to remember quite quickly.

Re: Probably a very easy maths question (trigonometry)
Date: March 08, 2009 02:56PM
Posted by: sasjag
its an isoceles, so bisect the trinagle down teh middle to create a right angle triangle, and you should know teh rest then :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
And then double whatever i get to find B. thanks :)

Date: March 08, 2009 11:03PM
Posted by: mortal
You're looking pretty acute today. Yes, I'm being obtuse. ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 08, 2009 11:54PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
ahhh, memories come flooding back. and it's like.. i think i know how to do it, until i try, and then i realise i can't. total of all angles in a triangle = 180 degrees.

i don't see how bisecting the thing helps, because then all you have is 90 + two angles you don't know. only that they too = 90. because 90 + 90 = 180 in the triangles you created.

i am an idiot.
Date: March 08, 2009 11:57PM
Posted by: danm
Sound on + [piv.pivpiv.dk]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 08, 2009 11:58PM
i am an idiot.

ROFLMAO

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 09, 2009 12:39AM
Posted by: Lex
sasjag schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its an isoceles, so bisect the trinagle down teh
> middle to create a right angle triangle, and you
> should know teh rest then :P

After bisecting angle B, you'll have the triangle ABD, with angles 90º, B/2 and [90º-(B/2)]. Since ABC is isoceles, AD = AC/2 = 0,95. With that, you know that sin (B/2) = 0,95/2,42 = 0,392561... . Looking at a table like this one, you have that B/2 is approximately 23º. Thus, the angle B is approximately 46º.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: March 09, 2009 01:12AM
Posted by: Vader
The answer is 42. It always is. So move on

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 09, 2009 03:11AM
Yes nothing to see here, move along please. ;-)

I think the cosine rule (b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2acCos(Angle@B)) can be used here...Could be very wrong on that though, maths is not my strong point.
Protractor. Bam, problem solved.

One thing that is amazing is that it doesn't matter how advanced you go with Math, it's easy to forget the simple equations to simple problems. That's why you can't ever stop exercising your brain and doing Math! That said, I have stopped doing that kind of Math and don't feel like going back to it :P
Cosine rule with sides a, b, c; angles A, B, C

a squared = b squared + c squared - 2bc(cosA)
b squared = a squared + c squared - 2ac(cosB)
c squared = a squared + b squared - 2ab(cosC)

Re-arranging those equations to give you angle B should work because you have all 3 sides.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy