Solaris

Posted by Fincent 
Solaris
Date: March 06, 2009 01:04AM
Posted by: Fincent
Has anyone else seen this film? If so, what was your reaction when it finished? I just watched it and I'm interested to know what you thought of it too :)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Re: Solaris
Date: March 06, 2009 01:11AM
Posted by: mortal
Looks a bit creepy.
[www.imdb.com]
I haven't seen it, but I'll look out for it at my local vid rental.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 06, 2009 03:57AM
Posted by: Guimengo
if it's the George Clooney one... I thought it was bad, couldn't stand watching it
Date: March 06, 2009 04:15AM
Posted by: danm
woah, its got Daniel Faraday in it! :O

holy moses - dharma are EVERYWHERE! :|

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 06, 2009 05:14AM
Posted by: The Lopper
To be honest I thought the George Clooney one kinda sucked at the end. The Russian one is meant to better. The problem with it is, for a science fiction film, Solaris doesn't work. The whole alien thing is not explored properly at all, the film could easily be a romance film set on earth in normal circumstances. It's a pity, because aliens in Solaris are quite different from what we normally comprehend them to be.
Date: March 06, 2009 11:08AM
Posted by: NickKK
I haven't seen Solyaris, but after being completely blown away by Stalker I think I need a bit of 'preparation' for this one as it's quite heavy as a movie.

Date: March 13, 2009 10:07PM
Posted by: Vader
This piece of sh*t is another good reason why Hollywood should leave literature alone, FFS. Stanislav Lem was one of the greatest SF authors ever - and he was more. Actually he was the greatest contempory philosopher in Poland until his death in 2006 (He was born 1921). His form of SF was high literature (and still is). In the movie the story just looked trivial. Actually Hollywood killed it. Read the book, don't watch the movie.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 13, 2009 10:15PM
Have you seen the Russian version Vades? Any good(?), it's meant to be miles better.
Date: March 13, 2009 10:30PM
Lem didn't like it either.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 14, 2009 04:36PM
Posted by: Willb
Oh, its a film! I thought you meant the OS! *doh*!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: March 15, 2009 04:24PM
On the subject of disappointing Sci-Fi adaptations, was watching Blade Runner again recently (this time the Final Cut, and all that that implies) and.....no. It's ok, not great. Lots of style, but low on substance. The book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by PK Dick) is definitely one of my faves, and the film pales in comparison

It's strange, but like space exploration itself, sci-fi movies have gone backwards. 2001 still kicks everything's arse; 40 years after it came out, directors have yet to learn Kubrick's lesson that space is s-i-l-e-n-t...And yet there are plenty of good sci-fi authors around, Stephen Baxter is a particular favourite at the moment.
Date: March 15, 2009 08:07PM
Hard to Be A God (1989) is another example for a complete film f*ck up of a perfect SciFi novel. No wonder A. and B. Strugatzky didn't like what they made of their novel.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy