Which Graphics Card?

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Which Graphics Card?
Date: February 16, 2009 10:45PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Sorry to start another one of these threads, But I could do with some assistance on buying a new gfx card.

My budget is low as always, I'm looking to spend anything up to and including £60. The good news however is unlike before I now have a PCI-E x16 slot!

The games I play are rFactor, Grand Prix 4 and F1 Challenge.

My current graphics is an integrated Intel 895G gfx chip.

My PC Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Intel Pentium D 3.00GHz
500GB HDD
4GB DDR2

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 10:46PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Re: Which Graphics Card?
Date: February 16, 2009 11:20PM
Posted by: mika19b
Can u stretch to £67?

This is probably the best you can get [www.scan.co.uk]
Date: February 16, 2009 11:42PM
I don't think my PCI-E slot is 2.0, would that still work? or is PCI-E 2.0 different?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 16, 2009 11:45PM
All PCI-E 2 cards just clock back to PCI-E 1 speed if your mobo only has that, so it will work :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 11:46PM by mika19b.
Date: February 16, 2009 11:48PM
Ah great thanks mate, I'll wait a few days to see what else people come up with! Or wait to hear more thoughts on that card you've pointed out...?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 17, 2009 12:55AM
Posted by: gav
Just make sure whatever card you choose will be handled by the PSU. It's always the biggest sucker of power, so that's something else you need to evaluate.

mika19b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All PCI-E 2 cards just clock back to PCI-E 1 speed
> if your mobo only has that, so it will work :)

Just to clear up, the only difference between PCIe 1.x (most commonly PCIe 1.1) and PCIe 2.0 is bandwidth. The existing limitations of PCIe 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 32x (the latter not often seen on a consumer product) remain - the chipset can just use more lanes. To all intents and purposes there is no speed difference at all, and it is all backwards compatible (though not to the original PCI of course).

Think of it as a sieve. You get more holes in a bigger sieve, but the liquid doesn't pass through any quicker - it can just deal with more at a time. You'll notice no difference between PCIe 1.1 and PCIe 2.0 unless you're running multiple high-end cards (such as 2 top graphics cards and a 4-figure RAID controller together). It's of no concern to Joe Public at all.
Date: February 17, 2009 01:09AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
You could get a PNY 8800gt for $120, dunno how much that is on pounds but not too far off I think? I will be gettin one most probably this week. So far I have been using a PNY 8500 gt and it runs all of GP4 mods at constant 40 to 50 fps and I have a weaker pc than yours, got it for just $50 so that is as cheap as you can get.
Date: February 18, 2009 12:37AM
how does this gfx card compare to the card mika pointed out in the 2nd post?

[www.overclockers.co.uk]

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 08:56PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: February 18, 2009 11:14AM
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> how does this gfx card compare to the card mika
> ppinted out in the 2nd post?

As the price suggests, it doesn't, and by a long way. The 2 results on the left are for the GDDR2 version, the one second from the right is for a GDDR3 version (which is clearly the better of the 2) but they're both destroyed by the HD 4670 on the far right. Ignore the 3DMark results at the top of the page and move to the non-synthetic benchmarks starting with Crysis.

RAM on a video cards means exactly nothing at this price range. A 256mb version of the same card wouldn't be any slower than a 1gb version - certainly not more than a couple of percent anyway.

If you're going to consider an NVIDIA card, you're should only be looking at the 9600GT really. If absolutely strapped for cash, a 9600GSO.

In order of performance, lowest to highest:

XFX 9600 GSO XXX - £68.99 + del (struggling to find any decent deals from respectable etailers on GSOs, so unless you can find one for less than £60, it's out. There are a few on Google Shopping, but none from etailers I've heard of)
PowerColor HD 4670 PCS Edition - £63.99 free del
Gainward 9600GT Bliss Edition - £71.50 free del
Date: February 18, 2009 08:58PM
thanks for that info gav, looks like the card mika posted is going to be the one to go for (Y)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 18, 2009 10:37PM
You do realise the eBuyer one is £12 cheaper when you factor in shipping, yeah? ;-)
Date: February 19, 2009 12:07AM
Date: February 19, 2009 02:10AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
Well I bought yesterday a BFG 9800GT for $140 and I have to say I am very pleased by it's performance, Crysis runs at constant 30 to 45 fps on high settings with 1280x768 resolution and it runs just as well on medium settings at 1280x1028. It only needs 400w of power so it is very efficient in that regard as well. March 3 can't come soon enough, hurry up Empire Total War.
Date: February 19, 2009 10:27AM
Considering a GTX 295 doesn't use 400w, I wouldn't call your 9800GT too efficient. ;-)
Date: February 19, 2009 12:57PM
Just to make sure - my monitor plugs into this kind of connector:

So will this [www.ebuyer.com] type of card be ok for my monitor to plug into?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 19, 2009 01:07PM
It looks like that card only has 2xDVI connectors if that picture is accurate. The card will work, but may not come with the dongle necessary (they normally do though). Anyone you know who's got a recent graphics card will be able to give your theirs, or alternatively they cost about 32p from any local store that have anything to remotely do with PCs.

The product page on the Powercolor website shows an adapter included (the red one), but they're not always accurate (particularly for European markets, though I don't know if PowerColor are one of the manufacturers to skimp).
Date: February 19, 2009 01:40PM
Ok thanks gav, one review of this card on ebuyer says it DOES come with a dongle, but even if it doesn't I'd soon pick one up elsewhere.

So unless another card comes to light I'll be going for that one!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 19, 2009 01:55PM
Ooo one thing, it says the PowerColor HD4670 supports DirectX 10.1 but would it run ok on 9 as I'm currently on XP not Vista?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 19, 2009 02:47PM
Yeah, it's all backwards compatible. :)

Only thing I'd check is that newer ATI cards (HD 3000 series onwards) run GP4 OK. I've seen nothing to suggest it won't, but the game is bloody old now, so it would be best to check.
Date: February 19, 2009 02:59PM
gav Wrote:
> Yeah, it's all backwards compatible. :)
>
> Only thing I'd check is that newer ATI cards (HD
> 3000 series onwards) run GP4 OK. I've seen nothing
> to suggest it won't, but the game is bloody old
> now, so it would be best to check.

My Radeon 4870 512MB run's the game fine with no problem, so all the lower spec card's should too :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy