Which Internet Security Suite?

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Re: Which Internet Security Suite?
Date: February 15, 2009 02:30PM
Posted by: gav
I've not bothered with a software firewall since I got one on my router Ian. Haven't seen the need.
Date: February 15, 2009 03:03PM
Posted by: montoya6k
I use, mcafee really effective though,for my vista..or better yet kaspersky/sophos.

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio
Date: February 16, 2009 06:35PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
Hi everyone - This seems to be a thread that could help me at the moment....

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to computers - I bought my laptop just over a year ago & was 'advised' to purchase Norton for security - It ran out a few weeks ago & i've been looking into what would be best now - Either renew it (looking at you views i doubt that now!), or using something else....

Unfortunately in the meantime it seems someone has hacked into my computer & obtained my passwords for Hotmail, Facebook & god knows what else :( They've also been impersonating me (sending harmful & hurtful messages, & emails as me etc etc). Firstly i thought someone might've guessed my passwords so changed them, but the next day they were back in doing the same thing again - Now i can't get back into my Facebook at all (They've changed my password & somehow unregistered my email address from Facebook so i can't even request a reset) Could they have somehow installed a key logger on my system & if so how would i go about getting rid of it?? All help & advise would be gratefully received....

Oh, and just remembered that from what i could see, some of the hackers material appears to have been pulled off my laptop from when Norton was still active. So was it pointless ever having it if they could get in when they wanted anyway??

As for new security - I only really use my laptop for casual internet use & emails. Norton is still installed on my system but has expired. I'm a bit skint at the moment too so ideally i don't want to be spending too much on new security software, but i obviously want it to be reliable. So what do you think would be best suited to me??

I'd really appreciate any advise on all of the above - Thanks in advance..... :-)

Date: February 16, 2009 10:32PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
I would reply helpfully to your post but I'm not sure if that's really you Taylor... ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 11:49AM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: February 17, 2009 12:15AM
Posted by: mortal
LOL! :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 17, 2009 11:31AM
Haha lol - Very good Iceman-Paul :-)

Seriously tho - Can anyone help me?? (With the above issues - Not just in general :-))

Date: February 17, 2009 01:33PM
Posted by: Morbid
Most likely, they used a keylogger or a trojan. It is identity theft, and almost all countries have laws that make this a criminal offence. With the sites they already have access too, they can hijack the most of your life. Report it to the police ASAP, and ditto with all the sites and services involved. Do also inform your bank pronto.

Then get some proper computer defense and dig out the spyware. Search on hijack this. There are many forums where professionals will help you for free.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 17, 2009 03:57PM
Thanks Morbid. Will do. I can't believe this is happening to me!! :-(

Can you elaborate on your last sentence though please? As i said i'm not very computer literate so i don't really know what you mean by 'dig out the spyware' & 'search on hijack this' ??

Sorry to be a pain!!

Date: February 17, 2009 04:02PM
Posted by: Morbid
Do this:

[www.google.dk]

Dig out spyware = clean out the program that is installed on your computer, that these @#$%& are using to steal your passwords.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 17, 2009 04:12PM
Right i've done that & have installed 'Spyware Doctor 6' which is currently scanning my laptop for trojans & key loggers etc etc - Is that a decent product??

It also appears to be free - Can that be right???

Thanks for the definition Morbid - I couldn't have described them better myself....

Thanks again....

Date: February 18, 2009 12:32AM
**Taylor** Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It also appears to be free - Can that be right???

seeing as it's won a couple of awards named 'best buy' i guess not! ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 18, 2009 12:37AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
[www.pctools.com]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 18, 2009 12:50AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Oh I also have to say that since I've been ill for the last week, my PC has been sitting unused. Turned on, but not used, as I've been on the laptop. Today I go to it and find ESET has found a virus (strange since its been sitting doing nothing for the last week) and asked me if I wanted to Clean, Delete, or take no action upon it. Funnily enough, Clean and Delete didn't work. It never fails to amaze me just how far behind the rest of the software world security software is really.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 20, 2009 01:55AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
my verdict on Norton internet security 2009

Awsome for the first 2 hours made my computer faster and cleaned it.

after the first liveupdate requiring a restart. Norton never worked again. ive had to reinstall it 3 times. absolutly pissing me off now. and gunna phone customer service if its used all 3 computer uses up. and ive looked on the offical norton forums and quiet a lot of people have this problem for a few week. and norton hasnt even bothered to listren to them not one reply from a Norton Adviser or nout.
Date: February 20, 2009 08:15PM
I'm still using Kaspersky and it seems to be doing the job brilliantly. I never thought it'd mach up to Nod32 which I loved, but Kaspersky certainly isn't giving me any reasons to go back to ESET as of yet. I'll probably use up all the remaining free days trial before I actually make up my mind to purchace one though.

But for the record I highly recommend trying Kaspersky. It's super, super light.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 21, 2009 08:07AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
spent 3 hours the other night talking to a Norton adviser they couldnt get norton 2009 to work after an update either so they installed norton 2008 for me. and guess what :P ive just finished reinstalling windows because norton doesnt pick up viruses :(

so anyone know of any free antivirus and firewalls.
Date: February 21, 2009 03:22PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
@ SHEEPY, try avast! antivirus, it's free, and has always worked fine for me.
Date: February 26, 2009 06:07PM
Posted by: lanky180
I have the 2009 Norton Internet Security and....I think its quite good :)

[batracer.com]
Date: March 13, 2009 11:06PM
Posted by: prunn
I would recommend one of them mcafee/kaspersky/avira antivir
they are pretty solid

if you just need to remove a virus go for malwarebyte
[www.malwarebytes.org]
it's free but it just scan your computer... no live protection

PЯuИNИ

[prunn.wordpress.com]
Date: March 14, 2009 04:34PM
Posted by: Willb
ESET is the best available, but it is costly - which sucks, otherwise i'd actually buy 2 or 3 licences...

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy