Which Internet Security Suite?

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Which Internet Security Suite?
Date: February 14, 2009 03:27PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Well for a while now I've been using my computer with no kind of Anti-Virus or Internet Security Suite installed and everything's been fine, but now I've decided to have one and use it on my home PC.

I'm fairly big NOD32 fan, but it's £40 for a one-year license which to me seems a little on the steep side.

For the past week I've been using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and that seemed pretty good, although it did take up almost 3 times the amount of space on my HDD that NOD32 did, and it did ever so slightly make it's presence felt a little more when copying files, starting up applications and/or downloading files.

This morning I've downloaded and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, which seems pretty good! Only takes up 27mb of space on my HDD and so far I haven't been able to do anything that feels slower than when it wasn’t installed! Plus, Amazon are selling it for just under £20 - half the price of NOD32, AND it's available to use on THREE machines rather than 1.

Only thing I slightly dislike about Kaspersky is the interface. I do consider myself to be an advanced user but even some of the options in Kaspersky seems a little advanced to me. Then again, I selected the advanced option when installing rather than the recommended users option.

So at the moment it's between NOD32 (ESET Internet Security), which to me is perfect in every way except for the high price, and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.

I'm interested to hear thoughts from you guys on the three contenders above, and/or others I haven't mentioned that you use that you find awesome.

Discuss!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Re: Which Internet Security Suite?
Date: February 14, 2009 04:02PM
Posted by: gav
If you buy NOD32 for more than 1 year there are some decent discounts, but it's still not as good value as Kaspersky.

It comes down to whether you feel NOD32 is worth double the cost. They are the only 2 decent packages really.
Date: February 14, 2009 04:21PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
i use eset and its crap lol it finds the viruses :P trys to delete them but doesnt. so im about to switch to Nortan 2009
Date: February 14, 2009 04:50PM
Posted by: Stan
you would be safer with no av installed rather then norton

Date: February 14, 2009 04:56PM
Holy crap SHEEPY don't switch to Norton!! :-o

Actually, it's you....so yeah switch to Norton.. ;)

Thanks for your thoughts gav.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 14, 2009 05:13PM
Posted by: villej
The new 2009 Norton internet security is actually supposed to be quite good. It's totally different than previous versions.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: February 14, 2009 05:52PM
Posted by: Dahie
After hearing that both Kaspersky and Bitdefender don't even manage to keep defend their own website from hacks, I wonder if they do better work defending our system. I associate Norton with claiming windows DLLs to be Malware. Good one! And then there is Antivir, which spams with ads once a day…

Disclaimer:
This post was written without Windows and by somebody who didn't use any pseudo-security software for 2 years.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 05:53PM by Dahie.
Date: February 14, 2009 06:42PM
Posted by: Fincent
I've used AVG on a number of PCs over many years and I've never had a single problem :) . If you do ever end up getting trojans or viruses or anything nasty then it'll lock it in the vault where you can either heal or delete the file. Even better it's completely free and the definitions are updated daily.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: February 14, 2009 07:59PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Norton killed my old computer. Avoid like the plague.
Date: February 14, 2009 08:48PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I have avast!. It's free, and I have never had a problem with it :)
Definitely recommended.
It updates the virus database once a day I think, and has never given me a false warning.
Date: February 14, 2009 11:14PM
Posted by: doukouris
I suggest:

- Firewall: Agnitum Outpost Firewall with integrated Antispyware
- Antivirus: Eset NOD32 ver.3
- Peer Guardian 2 : IP filtering and blocking

- Spybot Search and Destroy: for PC scanning once a week and for real time protection while using Internet Explorer.

The above combination is very light - consumes very few system resources and all these programs do not cause any coonflict to each other.

I do not suggest one suite for all.
Simply, because there is no suite that is the best at the same time in all fields:
- Firewall
- Antivirus
- Antispyware

... and stay away from Norton, I had some bad experience.

"Cyberacer"

my GP4 works
videos of GP4 with 2009_Physics_and_V8Torque(18000rpm)
Music bands I listen to: C:REAL and KELDIAN
Date: February 15, 2009 04:26AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
ive had bad experience with nortan 2005-2007 but its not been as bad as Kaspersky or Eset. that AVG was weird
Date: February 15, 2009 10:20AM
For the record, I've got a free license for Kaspersky (I believe Barclays are still running a promotion for customers of online banking to give you the 3-license version free), but I'm stilling using NOD32.

SHEEPY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ive had bad experience with nortan 2005-2007 but
> its not been as bad as Kaspersky or Eset.

They are miles ahead of Norton (pre-2009 at any rate).*

Detection rates are next to useless as well. You're testing for a handful of viruses out of billions. It's an area where Symantec generally do well in, as their actual scanning engine has never been that bad (the Symantec business solutions continue to have a good reputation), it's just the horrible hooks on the operating system which the consumer version does, and the fact that everything takes twice as long as it should.

* I haven't seen 2009 yet - I might stick the trial on some dummy PC just to see if the normal Symantec approach has been used - spend money to get their way (not that I'm suggesting magazines have been bribed of course...). I generally struggle to work out how something 100mb can be lighter on the system than something 20mb (ESET suite) or 35mb (Kaspersky). It can be lighter of course, but with the reputation Norton has, it makes you question things rather a lot more).

SHEEPY Wrote:
> that AVG was weird

In that you didn't have to spend £40 on it? ;)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:36AM
Posted by: Morbid
I am using AVG 8.0 Internet Security. I think it is pretty good in terms of security. It does unfortunately bog down the system somewhat. Particularly while browsing, or launching an application while browsing. The memory expenditure is surprisingly very light, around 10mb, but I think the program delays processes until it is done inspecting them.

I would like to have the same kind of security; Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Anti-spam, Firewall, Anti-Rootkit, Email-scanner, Resident Shield (scans file when used), and Web-shield (protects against stupid user actions online), without bogging the system down like this. I can live without the link scanner and the system tools.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 15, 2009 12:19PM
I reinstalled Kaspersky last night and this time I selected to use it in the Automatic Mode rather than the Interactive Mode and now it's much better. Before it was a little like Vista in the early stages, asking me about every single thing I wanted to do. Whereas now it sits there in the background just like NOD32 and I'm pretty sure I can't notice any difference in my computers perfrmance.

Kaspersky is winning for me at the moment! Gav, you have mail. ;-)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 15, 2009 12:39PM
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> Kaspersky is winning for me at the moment! Gav,
> you have mail. ;-)

Not gonna happen. It'll get used elsewhere at some point thanks. ;)
Date: February 15, 2009 12:54PM
LOL! Can't blame me for trying! ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 15, 2009 01:14PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
kaspersky!! :P

Date: February 15, 2009 02:04PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I have been thinking tbh, I've got ESET Smart Security and liking it :) always does the job well! But is it a bit wasted on my machine? I have a Hardware Firewall in my router already so do I need another software firewall in Smart Security or would NOD32 do the job okay?

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: February 15, 2009 02:10PM
I have a feeling NOD32 doesn't have Antispyware or Antispam like Smart Security, so it depends how much you need those two I guess.

Personally I'd just keep Smart Security rather than downgrade to Antivirus, they're both lighter than a feather and about the same price, at least with Smart Security you're going to be that little bit more protected.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy