Water boiling help please (problem fixed, NEW problem now)

Posted by Vader 
Water boiling help please (problem fixed, NEW problem now)
Date: January 16, 2009 01:13PM
Posted by: Vader
I intend to bring some water to the boil. I am thinking of about a litre. However, I am not sure how to go on from here as there are several options. I checked my local newspaper kiosk but there aren't really any journals on it. Any help would be appreciated as I'm a complete n00b if it comes to boiling water.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 03:53PM by Vader.
It's a bit tea-centric, but this site has a good guide:

[www.englishteastore.com]

/edit specifically this passage:

An electric kettle is the best way to boil water for home and office use. It makes hot beverages like tea fast and easy to prepare. Tea tastes much better when made with freshly boiled water, compared to water heated in a microwave. All these kettles switch off automatically when the water boils, which is a big advantage over the stove top kettles which whistle until you turn them off.

Looks like this 'electric kettle' is the way to go :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 03:52PM by Vader.
Re: Water boiling help please
Date: January 16, 2009 02:07PM
I looked at it but I'm a bit confused if it's compatible to my other kitchen hardware. What about the power supply unit? I heard they were the crucial point. I don't the system to crash before the water boils.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 16, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
you're a rude man, herr vader.
Date: January 16, 2009 02:37PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
I hear using the stove will give you a better quality of boiled water...
Also, you might not want to put it in the microwave and then put a spoon in it...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: January 16, 2009 02:40PM
Posted by: The Lopper
The old-fashioned way. Put a saucepan of water on a cooker hob, turn the heat of the hob up and let your water boil. Watch out for over-heating, which can be detrimental both to your water-boiling system and overall performance. Also, be careful when using faulty gas cookers, which can effect a permanent redecoration of your kitchen.
Date: January 16, 2009 03:17PM
Posted by: senninho
Vader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I looked at it but I'm a bit confused if it's
> compatible to my other kitchen hardware. What
> about the power supply unit? I heard they were the
> crucial point. I don't the system to crash before
> the water boils.

You're quite right. I personally always make sure that the plug has a number of pins that correspond with the number of pins in the wall socket - i've tried different combinations in the past and not had much luck.

Date: January 16, 2009 03:52PM
Okay, it worked. After putting the water some sort of a metal container and expose it to a heatsource from underneath it took only a few minutes to let it boil. Maybe I can overclock the oven a bit to make it boil faster.

Now I wonder if I could store boiling water leftovers in the freezer so that I always have boiling water ready at hand. Any experiences?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
(can't believe I'm gonna say this)

If you don't mind the water being lumpy in the freezer, I can't see why not.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 16, 2009 05:31PM
Posted by: ralv585
If you want to overclock your oven, make sure you increase the temperature by a few degrees at a time, if you get splashing, bring it down a few degrees to get it stable.

You might also want some better cooling if you're going to do some extreme overclocking, so open the window slightly or if you can afford it, install some air conditioning, there are some good systems here:
[www.toshiba-aircon.co.uk]

There are some good benchmarks here: [www.benchmarkair.net]

let us know how you get on, maybe you can post some pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 05:31PM by ralv585.
overclock your oven

Best. Sentence. Ever.
Roll with the air con idea and you can use the air con to cool the room, while providing the waste heat from the air conditioning to pre-heat the water. Super-efficient boiling, it´s the future.
10/10 Vader!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
I've had a think about the problem, here's a possible solution.
Using the lumpy water, add a catalyst such as ramen noodles into the reactor vessel and use a 220 volt power source applied through a damper such as human flesh to the reactor vessel. That way, there's no need to over-clock the oven, which could possibly result in a premature oxygen based fusion reaction causing an inadvertent re-decoration of the environment. The research continues. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Do I tack the noodles from the packing or do I put them into water with the box they came with?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
leave them in the box, it adds extra fibre
Do not boil water! The molecules will start moving faster, you wil not be able to stop them, they will move faster and faster, in the end it will cause doom's day, the whole world will end up sucked in your pot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy