Date: January 13, 2009 01:27PM
Posted by: The Lopper
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am afraid to a certain degree DJSKYLINE is
> correct.
>
> Pilots during the 'supersonic' age, the korean
> war, veitnam etc have been known to loose height.
> And not only through the ejector seat... just from
> massive loads on their heads and neck.
>

That's different though, isn't it? I mean when a jet turns, it has to roll onto it's side and then the pilot pulls up and there's your turn. So there's more g-forces pressing down on your head. F1 cars don't turn like that, they turn laterally.
Re: Homemade f1 simulaor
Date: January 13, 2009 01:52PM
Posted by: montoya6k
just wasting his money on that thing,better out his money on right choice( i prefer to start a racing career with that money,rather to spent allover in a simulator that costs$$$$)

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

"You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best."
—Fangio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 01:53PM by montoya6k.
Date: January 13, 2009 02:18PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
The Lopper Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am afraid to a certain degree DJSKYLINE is
> > correct.
> >
> > Pilots during the 'supersonic' age, the korean
> > war, veitnam etc have been known to loose
> height.
> > And not only through the ejector seat... just
> from
> > massive loads on their heads and neck.
> >
>
> That's different though, isn't it? I mean when a
> jet turns, it has to roll onto it's side and then
> the pilot pulls up and there's your turn. So
> there's more g-forces pressing down on your head.
> F1 cars don't turn like that, they turn laterally.

think about it now...i totally remember martin brundle saying
when f1 drivers accelerate it feels like their head is being lifted up too because of the force or something, then obviously the opposite effect when braking...head feels like its getting pushed down.
Im not sure why, but im going to read more into this after my exams unless someone can explain by then

Date: January 13, 2009 02:40PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
I think he would have been reffering to the buffeting effect on your head. where your head gets forced backwards, or sometimes the air forcing itself at you can actually get under your crash helmet and feel like it's trying to lift off your head. Braking hard and quickly will also sometimes feel like your head is being forced down towards your chest. These things are due to weak neck muscles.

Even if you were to move up or down, it's very unlikely that the compression in your spine would be visual, it's probably more a visual illusion - moving in the seat maybe?? You can be strapped in as tight as possible and still findyourself moving. Steve Kane had that problem during his Mclaren Test for winning The Autosport driver of the year. He was constantly finding himself moving around in the car under braking, he said at one point he hit the brakes and went so low in the car he couldn't see. I think this is due to him having a rubbish rushed seat fitting... he said they had 3 or 4 attempts at getting the seat right....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 02:41PM by bazza_racer.
Date: January 13, 2009 03:15PM
Posted by: chet
The Lopper Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am afraid to a certain degree DJSKYLINE is
> > correct.
> >
> > Pilots during the 'supersonic' age, the korean
> > war, veitnam etc have been known to loose
> height.
> > And not only through the ejector seat... just
> from
> > massive loads on their heads and neck.
> >
>
> That's different though, isn't it? I mean when a
> jet turns, it has to roll onto it's side and then
> the pilot pulls up and there's your turn. So
> there's more g-forces pressing down on your head.
> F1 cars don't turn like that, they turn laterally.

Oh of course but the forces felt are still the same.

A - G on your head of lets say -3g would still mean the forces on your neck muscles would be 3g. So either way acceleration, braking, or turning your neck is still going to have to support.

There has to be someone here who watched ALMS races on speed where they have shown it? Youtube isnt playing nice atm.

Yeah if anyone went karting when little and wore a slightly too big helmet you would have noticed it trying to lift off.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 13, 2009 04:03PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I see, but would both forces have the same effect of pushing you down? Ie, would the force of lateral turning push you down into the car the same way as the force of turning a jet, such that the force is coming down mostly vertically onto your head? Is it not more likely that in a car you would be pushed back, like when a plane is taking off, rather than pushed down, as when a plane is turning? I don't actually know, maybe you know more than I do on the subject :)

By the way, isn't it wonderful the way a simple thread can turn into a barnstorming scientific discussion ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:29PM by The Lopper.
Date: January 13, 2009 05:45PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
lol yeah it is haha. It may different driving an F1 car, due to the obvious difference in speeds and loads. At brands in particular, go through Paddock hill bend and just as you get to the bottom of the dip (before run to druids) the car can compress a lot there and it takes you with it. Feels like it's gonna suck you through the bottom of the car - especially if you havn't done your belts up very tight :S
Date: January 13, 2009 06:31PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
bazza_racer Wrote:
> lol yeah it is haha. It may different driving an
> F1 car, due to the obvious difference in speeds
> and loads. At brands in particular, go through
> Paddock hill bend and just as you get to the
> bottom of the dip (before run to druids) the car
> can compress a lot there and it takes you with it.
> Feels like it's gonna suck you through the bottom
> of the car - especially if you havn't done your
> belts up very tight :S

Same feeling I guess at Eau Rouge. ;-)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 13, 2009 08:08PM
Posted by: J i m
I'm not going to join in on the finer aspects of the physical discussion, but Brundle does often refer to a drivers head "going down" under breaking.

It's probably not the best choice of words on his part, although lets face it, what words are appropriate?

I think it's either the drivers head going forwards and giving the illusion that it goes down because of the tilt. The head is going to move around a fair bit because of the forces involved in braking.

It's that or the driver sliding forwards in his seat a little bit, but that wouldn't make a great deal of sense because if there's one thing you don't want to be doing in a racing car is sliding around in your seat, it's bad enough in a go-kart.
Date: January 15, 2009 04:12PM
Posted by: sasjag
the drivers head goes down because he is strapped in so tightly his neck acts as a pivot point

The Lopper is completely correct. a driver only really experiences lateral g's (along the y and z planes, assuming x is vertical), wheras a fighter pilot/tobaggonist is generally going vertically as well, hences the spine 'compressing'. Certain corners will produce this effect (Eau Rouge) but not many. Its basic physics people, Newtons laws!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: January 15, 2009 05:17PM
Posted by: Sapo
x vertical?!

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: January 15, 2009 05:41PM
Posted by: Guimengo
he can call the axis whatever he wants as long as he remains coherent, and he did so it's fine :P.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy