A-Levels (Urgh)

Posted by Monza972 
A-Levels (Urgh)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:27PM
Posted by: Monza972
Yeah, so its that time of year again to choose A-Level subject for all of our members finishing Year 11. However, choosing subjects is the bloody hard thing. So I was wondering if you guys that are currently in Uni can help us out in choosing of our subjects.

Personally, I was thinking of becoming a Doctor at University. However, it needs maths. I suck at that, so its a no. Then I thought about Computing (I like that subject and am interested a lot in it) but found that it more maths than Medicine. I'm pulling all my hairs out in anger as isn't there anything in the Computing world which doesn't require maths at A Level?!

I've checked various sites such as www.mychoicelondon.com and then have checked out a couple of Universities which show what I would need to get into that course at degree level. I'm hating all of this right now :(
Re: A-Levels (Urgh)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:28PM
Posted by: Nickv
Tell us about your interests. It's easier to learn something when you actually like it :)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:32PM
I have an Interest in IT and Computing, Formula 1 (obviously ;)), Designing/Painting things (using photoshop) and Gaming.
Date: November 25, 2008 07:41PM
Posted by: Nickv
That's gonna be tough, since all those things require maths to a certain degree ;)

Well, if you want to be something with F1, you can always try to become the new Murray Walker ;)

Designing/Paiting things with Photoshop...you could look into something graphical? That you end up as someone who designs advert posters, logos, brochures and what not.
Date: November 25, 2008 07:52PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, so its that time of year again to choose
> A-Level subject for all of our members finishing
> Year 11. However, choosing subjects is the bloody
> hard thing. So I was wondering if you guys that
> are currently in Uni can help us out in choosing
> of our subjects.
>
> Personally, I was thinking of becoming a Doctor at
> University. However, it needs maths. I suck at
> that, so its a no. Then I thought about Computing
> (I like that subject and am interested a lot in
> it) but found that it more maths than Medicine.
> I'm pulling all my hairs out in anger as isn't
> there anything in the Computing world which
> doesn't require maths at A Level?!
>
> I've checked various sites such as
> www.mychoicelondon.com and then have checked out a
> couple of Universities which show what I would
> need to get into that course at degree level. I'm
> hating all of this right now :(

I knew for university that I'd need Maths, and I'm not too shabby at it, so went for it. It's not quite as bad as people make out, but you're better off with Physics IMO (another A-Level subject I took) as it also incorporates Maths but not as far as the main Maths A-Level. *BUT* (and this is a big one), check with the university what the first year entails, as I found that one of the core modules for the course was *drumroll* Maths. For mine, if you had an A-Level or AS-Level in Maths, you missed the first half of the year. That was spent getting others up to speed. The second half was just building on that.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 25, 2008 08:02PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
how are you doing in gcse maths,

Date: November 25, 2008 08:02PM
Posted by: Vader
Monza972 Wrote:
>

Become a WoW pro.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 25, 2008 08:11PM
Posted by: J-C
Monza972 Wrote:

How about Computer Salesman?

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod
Date: November 25, 2008 08:19PM
J-C Wrote:
> Monza972 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm pulling all my hairs out in anger as isn't
> > there anything in the Computing world which
> > doesn't require maths at A Level?!
>
> How about Computer Salesman?

Nah, not that.

DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> how are you doing in gcse maths,

Got a C from my Early Entry exam I did last year (Foundation)

I did my Early Entry for this year this month. Results in Jan

Vader Wrote:
> Monza972 Wrote:
> -----
> >
>
> Become a WoW pro.

Haha, I look into that Vader lol

turkey_machine Wrote:
> Monza972 Wrote:
> -----
> > Yeah, so its that time of year again to choose
> > A-Level subject for all of our members
> finishing
> > Year 11. However, choosing subjects is the
> bloody
> > hard thing. So I was wondering if you guys that
> > are currently in Uni can help us out in
> choosing
> > of our subjects.
> >
> > Personally, I was thinking of becoming a Doctor
> at
> > University. However, it needs maths. I suck at
> > that, so its a no. Then I thought about
> Computing
> > (I like that subject and am interested a lot in
> > it) but found that it more maths than Medicine.
> >
> > I've checked various sites such as
> > www.mychoicelondon.com and then have checked out
> a
> > couple of Universities which show what I would
> > need to get into that course at degree level.
> I'm
> > hating all of this right now :(
>
>
> I knew for university that I'd need Maths, and I'm
> not too shabby at it, so went for it. It's not
> quite as bad as people make out, but you're better
> off with Physics IMO (another A-Level subject I
> took) as it also incorporates Maths but not as far
> as the main Maths A-Level. *BUT* (and this is a
> big one), check with the university what the first
> year entails, as I found that one of the core
> modules for the course was *drumroll* Maths. For
> mine, if you had an A-Level or AS-Level in Maths,
> you missed the first half of the year. That was
> spent getting others up to speed. The second half
> was just building on that.

Hm, maths *is* needed everywhere. Thing is I'm ok with all the sections of it e.g. Algebra and the Shapes although my Trig is completely bad.
Date: November 25, 2008 08:42PM
Posted by: danm
doing maths a levels is a lot of hard work and in job terms... most only want you to do the basics of a good solid gcse score... a level maths is probably only gonna be useful for more advanced career choices like you say - medicine, or maths based like engineering. same sort of thing for subjects like physics, veyr hard, and very specific.

i was about to do veterinary medicine but changed the day before ucas letters went in, to architecture.

je loved art, but it was a weak career prospect. but after i cancelled it out, i thought logically, why try doing something too hard and not enjoy it so much, when you can do (art) something you enjoy the most, and be paid a little less. that was before i found architecture (like jesus, LOL!) however, my a levels were chosen to give me a better range in the event i didnt want to do the veterinary part.

i did art, biology, geography and a half as in chemistry. gave me a pretty good range, as my gcses were solid enough, (maths A, english A, english literature A, history, art A*, double science AA, german B, religion (pah!) C etc).

i love architecture at uni, its a brilliant subject area. caters for you art and design needs, creativity, your historical areas, geography for environmental aspects, the science or engineering the things. you have to design something really cool looking, only to find it wont work structurally, so you have to redesign them with different materials, choosing them to look good but work enough. does this column have to be so wide, can it be smaller and support the loads.... or can you find a better material, and does it fit, can it bend, withstand this environmental condition.

i absolutely have ZERO regrets on this course, and its also about to get a whole lot more interestig with new eco rules and carbon footprints. designing new and alterting old buildings to be more practical and efficient. :)

saves you doing maths all day everyday. architecture can have maths days, then you get a break and get to redesign the thing, and if you fancy more maths, engineer it a bit more complex haha!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 25, 2008 09:08PM
Posted by: NickKK
I was initially thinking of going into astrophysics but also enjoyed natural sciences so I took a more general selection of Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography. Eventually I changed to earth sciences and geophysics (astrophysics is ultra maths :( )but I found the selection I had was applicable to many other subjects as well.

Out of those I'd say Physics and Geography gave me the most useful knowledge and skills, although without the maths I imagine one would struggle in any remotely scientific subject and to some degree medicine.
A level maths isn't really all that scary, in fact it's the easiest subject to revise for - just grind through problems over and over throughout the year and it'll just become a second language, other subjects require imaginitive revision to get em to stick! Without persistent practise maths quickly becomes gibberish.

In any case many unis are far more flexible about the subjects they require for their courses, example at Imperial I was told you need Geology, Chemistry and Maths to get in but many people did 2 or even only 1 of those subjects and got in fine. Talk to prospective unis, ask them how flexible they are about subjects taken and most importantly try and be positive about the subjects you choose, you'll be surprised how much more interesting some topics become beyond secondary school !

Date: November 25, 2008 09:10PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Monil, what Dan says is perfect. You may detest Math but if you can use it to something you like, like necessary calculations for a building to be made in a way it won't collapse but still look pretty cool, can be just the thing for you.

Personally I'd try some architecture but there's only so much time you can spend in uni so I did Economics, the only thing being that the Math I used there wasn't for a fun purpose like building something or working out F1 car sidepods ;). Being able to use Math with Physics is pretty cool and a personal favorite, if you can apply Math to things you like it may change your life (and mine if you work for Ferrari and send me F1 tickets ;))
Date: November 25, 2008 10:53PM
Wow, great responses. Thanks Guys :)

Dan, I agree with you every bit but the thing is that I'm totally not sure about what I want to go into yet. I'm thinking about IT but the maths bit is really putting me off. As if i do take Maths as an A-Level, but if they start to teach me things which go over the top of my head i'll quickly loose my place in class and crash and burn. I want something I can really enjoy at A-Level but the things I want to do in the future I keep getting screwed with the Prospect of maths.

Gui, but what can I use Maths in the things I like. The interests I have a far from Maths except for Formula 1, besides that its mostly Non-Mathematical. Tbh, I've started to dislike Physics ever since it started with the Formulas and working out the Work Done and Velocity and such. Because I do my Sciences in Modules due to me doing Triple Science, the module for Physics I aced it, however, the latter two I absolutely failed them because I just kept on messing up in the Maths area
Date: November 25, 2008 11:06PM
Posted by: BAR#10
I noticed you wrote you were thinking of becoming a doctor, but then you don't mention medicine as one of your interests.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: November 25, 2008 11:13PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Monil, can you sign up to more general studies that can transfer? Here in the US we're forced to take a bunch of elective (garbage) classes. How about management, very basic economics, communication/speech (and if it's the case, interior design or something with fashion ;))?
Date: November 25, 2008 11:40PM
Posted by: strekedesire
haha how convenient!

Dan, thanks for your description on your architecture experience at uni. Now I don't have to go bother you to answer my questions ;)
Date: November 26, 2008 12:29AM
BAR#10 Wrote:
> I noticed you wrote you were thinking of becoming
> a doctor, but then you don't mention medicine as
> one of your interests.

I don't have that as an interest. I only thought about it because my parent said that its good industry to work in. I worked towards it and then found out about the Maths A-Level and then realised I had no total interest in it. I've nearly been snoozing in my very important science classes, which i clearly shouldn't do.

Guimengo Wrote:
> Monil, can you sign up to more general studies
> that can transfer? Here in the US we're forced to
> take a bunch of elective (garbage) classes. How
> about management, very basic economics,
> communication/speech (and if it's the case,
> interior design or something with fashion ;))?

Nah they don't allow us to sign on to "unhelpful" subjects here. But if they did which were in my interest I would've dropped my nose in it a little bit.
Date: November 26, 2008 12:50AM
Posted by: BeamingSauber07
The only thing I've learnt (literally) from my time at uni is that you must choose something that you really do enjoy. If not you're wasting your time.

I wanted to do medicine but always felt too stupid and so never entertained the idea at school. It's only now I look back and think that I had much more choice than I thought and that it was a possibility.

So I would say even if you think you're sh*t at maths (like me), you mustn't feel so constrained. I know dozens of people who study degrees that required them to have an A* in whatever but have done fine at uni. Your ability at any subject e.g. maths, is not decided only by a grade but by your attitude you know?
Date: November 26, 2008 02:13AM
Posted by: chet
Monil, my biggest regret from college, aside from not nearly putting in enough work effort is deciding not to do maths.

I am doing what is effectivley a math based course, and at the moment looking for work placements in to do after my second year. Rolls Royce, BAE , Boeing, and Airbus do not even look at people without an A-level maths A-C. Finding a placement for me is difficult despite technically having a qualification the equivalent and beyond that of A-level maths. Fact is to be able to say you have it is such a powerful tool in getting any kind of job.

If you are prepared to work hard my recomendation would be to do A-level maths.

If you do get an A-C in it then that would be such a massive boost on your CV in ANY kind of job. It shows you have the comittment to work at what is possibly one of the most difficult to understand subjects. You will use principles learnt in A-level maths in the future, no doubt.

My opinion, decide roughly what you would like to do at University, if you wish to go and then base A-levels around that. But my opinion to you is if you think you will work hard at it then its a very useful subject.

Though like has been said, chose subjects you know you will be interested in. I went through college having the best time of my life in terms of a social life, though I did not enjoy my a-levels and because of that i did not put in the required effort and the results showed, now at uni doing something which interests me beyond beleif I can find myself reading a book for hours on end on stuff were learning, but most importantly I enjoy the work i get given and so put the effort in to get the best result I can. Its a tough choice for you. I said I regret not doing it, but thats because ive needed it really. If you feel that you do not enjoy it enough to be able to put more than 100% in then I would not recomend.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 26, 2008 02:22AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
chet Wrote:
> Monil, my biggest regret from college, aside from
> not nearly putting in enough work effort is
> deciding not to do maths.
>
> I am doing what is effectivley a math based
> course, and at the moment looking for work
> placements in to do after my second year. Rolls
> Royce, BAE , Boeing, and Airbus do not even look
> at people without an A-level maths A-C. Finding a
> placement for me is difficult despite technically
> having a qualification the equivalent and beyond
> that of A-level maths. Fact is to be able to say
> you have it is such a powerful tool in getting any
> kind of job.
>
> If you are prepared to work hard my recomendation
> would be to do A-level maths.
>
> If you do get an A-C in it then that would be such
> a massive boost on your CV in ANY kind of job. It
> shows you have the comittment to work at what is
> possibly one of the most difficult to understand
> subjects. You will use principles learnt in
> A-level maths in the future, no doubt.
>
> My opinion, decide roughly what you would like to
> do at University, if you wish to go and then base
> A-levels around that. But my opinion to you is if
> you think you will work hard at it then its a very
> useful subject.
>
> Though like has been said, chose subjects you know
> you will be interested in. I went through college
> having the best time of my life in terms of a
> social life, though I did not enjoy my a-levels
> and because of that i did not put in the required
> effort and the results showed, now at uni doing
> something which interests me beyond beleif I can
> find myself reading a book for hours on end on
> stuff were learning, but most importantly I enjoy
> the work i get given and so put the effort in to
> get the best result I can. Its a tough choice for
> you. I said I regret not doing it, but thats
> because ive needed it really. If you feel that you
> do not enjoy it enough to be able to put more than
> 100% in then I would not recomend.

That's some good advice there
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy