PSU on the blink, what's good now?

Posted by turkey_machine 
PSU on the blink, what's good now?
Date: November 20, 2008 11:02PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
My brother's PSU is apparantly on the blink. It keeps randomly resetting, and a hard disk wipe with a fresh XP install hasn't stopped it. He thinks the computer's underpowered, the PSU in it is something in the 3xxW range, and it needs something more with the equipment inside it (Pentium D, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 160GB HDD, NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE, DVD drive, a fair number of USB things attached to it as he's a keen home musician). PSU supplied with the refurbed unit isn't a branded one, and should be; I know the perils of generic PSUs.

What's good with regard to branded PSUs? I'm looking at Emermax, OCZ and Corsair ones, but don't know anything else that's good. The computer's used daily for several hours a time. Any help appreciated, before it takes anything else with it. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: PSU on the blink, what's good now?
Date: November 21, 2008 09:54AM
Posted by: gav
A decent 200W PSU would power that lot easily, but if it's a cheap, crappy PSU, then it'll eventually die no matter what it powers.

It could be all manner of components causing it though, including the PSU. If he's convinced it's the PSU though, here you go (380W version is only a few pence more than the 330W, so it would be silly to get the 330W).
Date: November 21, 2008 06:53PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Cheers Gav, couldn't remember whether Seasonic were gooduns or not. Will pass that on.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 21, 2008 07:02PM
Posted by: NickKK
I swear by my Tagan - ultra quiet and been running for years without a hitch or coil whine which my Enermax developed rather quickly. Quite difficult to find new though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy