free anti spyware removal util?

Posted by LS. 
free anti spyware removal util?
Date: November 04, 2008 02:57PM
Posted by: LS.
The clue is in the title :) anyone know of a good one that doesnt scan your pc then hit you with the results and ask you to pay for it?

cheers

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: free anti spyware removal util?
Date: November 04, 2008 03:00PM
Posted by: Nickv
Hitman Pro is a free program that contains several free anti spyware programs (one is a trial though IIRC). The scanning does take quite a while though.
Date: November 04, 2008 04:21PM
Posted by: J-C
Date: November 04, 2008 04:56PM
Posted by: Monza972
Urm i know i'll be killed for this :p, but AOL Spyware?
Date: November 04, 2008 04:59PM
Posted by: gav
You want to remove your anti-spyware util? Tried Add/Remove Programs? ;)

I just stick with SpyBot Search and Destroy, which has a nice little tool which should help you keep spyware off your PC in the first place. I'm sure some will manage to get around it, but it's a nice barrier to start off with.

It too is free.

Best defence: don't visit dodgy sites. ;-)

Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Urm i know i'll be killed for this :p, but AOL
> Spyware?

You say that, but their free AntiVirus software was Kaspersky, which is awesome. I say was as I don't think it's Kaspersky any more.

Not saying that AOL Spyware Protection isn't made from Norton AntiSpyware (hideous) but don't take it for granted that it's a lemon that you'll be flamed for recommending. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 05:02PM by gav.
Date: November 04, 2008 05:29PM
Posted by: LS.
Gav its to do with trying to fix this annoying problem :)

[www.grandprixgames.org]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 04, 2008 06:33PM
Posted by: Dinga
[www.malwarebytes.org]

Worth a shot. One of the few programs that gets rid of the dreaded XP AntiVirus 2008, which is a crappy bit of malware in itself. Just download the free version, run it, let it update and do a quick scan. Good luck!

Date: November 04, 2008 07:01PM
There's a Vista AntiVirus 2008 too now (which I presume is the same malware which just detects the OS). It's easy to remove though - just kill the task (under a different username or in safemode if Task Manager is disabled) and delete the .exes.

Speaking of Safe Mode, you often find you get better results running the programs in that rather than standard mode.
Date: November 04, 2008 07:03PM
Posted by: Nickv
I didn't know about getting better results in the safe mod, Gav. Thanks for the tip! :)
Date: November 04, 2008 09:37PM
Posted by: mortal
Try pandasecurity.com, You download an app, hook in for an online scan, then you get a text which shows you the addresses of whatever it finds, they want you to register and pay of course, there's really no need, when I used it I just kept the results window open till I had manually deleted what it found.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 05, 2008 07:23PM
Posted by: NickKK
Superantispyware has worked really well for me, got me out of a uber horrible predicament where my windows would have no internet access, disabled AV, disabled FW and would restart every 5 minutes or so...took a mere 3 days of scanning and rescanning to save myself ;)

Date: November 05, 2008 09:35PM
Posted by: msater
AVG 8 free

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: November 05, 2008 10:10PM
Posted by: Vader
A combination of AdAware, SpyBot Search & Destroy plus the regular HiJackThis scan does it for me.

Apart from that I got Sygate Firewall and NOD32 running all the time.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 06, 2008 06:53PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
Avg is pretty good, and free.

I have a question, sometimes when I leave the computer alone a long time it will go to sleep mode thats normal I know, problem is, it turns itself back on and I didn't leave any program running. Do I have some hacker or virus in my computer or is that normal? My scans dont show anything thought.

I am pretty unlucky with viruses, I got that damn Sasser just a few days after it spreaded.
Date: November 08, 2008 02:00PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
av: NOD32 (imo no av can touch nod for ease of use, "lightweighted-ness" and "actually" dealing with viruses)

spyware: adaware and spybot.

and if your behind a nat router, you have no need for a firewall/

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2008 02:01PM by rapid_f1.
Date: November 08, 2008 02:28PM
ROBITUSSIN JR. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> problem is, it turns
> itself back on and I didn't leave any program
> running. Do I have some hacker or virus in my
> computer or is that normal? My scans dont show
> anything thought.

Put it this way, if a computer is in sleep mode, how can a program run? ;-)

In all seriousness, it's probably something really small and you'll never find out what it is.

If you want it to go into a sleep-like mode, try 'Hibenate' mode, which will write everything in the memory to the hard drive, then turn the PC off. When you turn it back on again, instead of Vista loading normally, it'll read that memory state back off the hard drive, and you'll have your PC back to pretty much exactly as it was when you turned it off.
Date: November 08, 2008 04:52PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
if you are still having troubles, try this site below (or otther similar ones), where you can post a hijackthis log file and mods will help you out to fix it. it has worked for me in the past.

[www.bleepingcomputer.com]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 08, 2008 06:49PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
Thanks gav, I though I had a hacker or something so thats a relief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy