Should i buy a gamepad to play rc games

Posted by skyline86 
Should i buy a gamepad to play rc games
Date: October 28, 2008 05:21PM
Posted by: skyline86
Hi! I’m a racing games fan. I have Logitech Momo Racing to play all racing games, but I feel very hard to play with it. I have GTR2,F1C and GP4 games. A wheel has many setting and I complicated with it, I don’t know how to set it good. So I intend buy a gamepad to play racing games, do you think play racing games with gamepad is easier than play by wheel? I had play racing games on PS2 or Xbox, it easy to play with gamepad. Should I buy a gamepad to play? Please help me! Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 05:22PM by skyline86.
Re: Should i buy a gamepad to play rc games
Date: October 28, 2008 05:26PM
Posted by: Nickv
Should I buy a gamepad to play

One simple answer: no. Never, ever trade a wheel for a gamepad, and certainly not your wheel.

What is the problem you are encountering? What is the hard part about playing with it? How long do you have the wheel?

Most of the time, the default setting does the job quite good. But as you say, there are many available options. Force Feedback, for instance, can be adjusted to your liking. I remember you can change the FFB in GP4s options menu.
Date: October 28, 2008 05:45PM
Posted by: skyline86
I have my momo about 1 year. And i can't play good racing simulation with it.I don't know set Brake and Throttle sensitivity, Force Feedback. Can i using default setup to play with AI?
Date: October 28, 2008 06:35PM
Posted by: Nickv
Brake and throttle sensitivity can be set in GP4. I don't know the exact menus. You need to ask someone else. Those are advanced settings. Be sure to set the throttle and brake rate to analog. If you set it to digital, the pedals will function as buttons, knowing only full throttle or no throttle at all. When using analog you can use full, half, a quarter etc. Just like in a real car.
Date: October 29, 2008 06:51AM
Posted by: Morbid
Most likely, the reason you can play well with a gamepad on the PS2 and Xbox, and play poorly with a wheel on the pc, is that the PS2 and Xbox are arcade games, and the pc games are simulations. You cannot play them the same way. GTR2 and rFactor try to simulate real racing cars as they are... they do not dumb it down for you, as the arcade games do.

There are many guides for stetting up your wheel for GTR2 and rFactor on the internet. Why don't you search for some of those, and try again with proper settings? If that doesn't help, then the problem isn't with the wheel, but with your approach.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 29, 2008 01:03PM
Posted by: Vader
If cars were easier to control with gamepads don't you think manufacturers would have replaced steering wheels long since?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 29, 2008 02:38PM
Posted by: Monza972
Vader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If cars were easier to control with gamepads don't
> you think manufacturers would have replaced
> steering wheels long since?

It'll be like Men In Black 2 lol
Date: October 29, 2008 03:18PM
Posted by: BeamingSauber07
Use a gamepad if that is most comfortable for you and realism is not your main concern.

It's about what gives you the most satisfaction when you're racing. I'm sure most people here will tell you that you get that satisfaction from using a wheel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy