Boy, 7, goes on killing spree in zoo

Posted by n00binio 
Boy, 7, goes on killing spree in zoo
Date: October 04, 2008 01:30PM
Posted by: n00binio
taken from times online...

When keepers arrived for work at the Alice Springs Reptile Centre they thought there had been a mass break-out. Thirteen animals, including a large turtle, bearded dragons and various lizards had apparently escaped from their outdoor pens.

Worse was the scene of carnage in the pen of Terry, an 11ft, 31-stone saltwater crocodile and the zoo’s star attraction. He had been feasting on his fellow reptiles.

CCTV footage revealed the truth: a seven-year-old boy had scaled a fence at the zoo, in Northern Territory, Australia, bludgeoned the giant lizards to death and fed them and others to the crocodile.

The break-in happened just before 8am on Wednesday. Initially, the boy evaded the zoo’s security system because of his size.

In 35 minutes he killed 13 animals, including thorny devils and western blue-tongue lizards, which are rare in captivity. Another victim was a 3ft goanna, a variety of monitor lizard and one of the zoo’s favourites.

Rex Neindorf, the zoo’s director, said that many of the animals were rare or mature and would be difficult to replace.

“It’s absolutely devastating for us - we’re just horrified,” Mr Neindorf told The Times yesterday. “The goanna was 20 years old - she was an absolute doll.”

He said that the boy, whose face was expressionless during the killing spree, had “clammed up” when questioned by police. He had climbed over a second fence to get a closer look at Terry and his victims. “He was lucky because if he got in there with the goanna, she would have torn him to pieces.”

Police questioned the boy but, because of his age, were unable to do anything: children under the age of 10 are not liable for criminal offences. However, the zoo is considering legal action against his parents.

Mr Neindorf said: “I thought for the sheer consequences of what he did that there would have to be some severe punishment, but they can’t do anything. We’re going to see what we can do - maybe try and sue the family in the civil court. We’ll look down that avenue.”

He said that the boy’s brother was part of a group that attacked Terry the crocodile about five years ago. Children often tried to throw rocks at the animal enclosures from a nearby hill, but this was by far the worst incident in the eight-year history of the zoo.

Mr Neindorf said: “We’re horrified that anyone could do this, and saddened by the age of the child. He will just get worse and worse and worse - by the time he’s 10 he will be a hardened criminal.”

The Alice Springs Reptile Centre has 200 animals on display, including perentie goannas, frill-necked lizards, pythons, taipans, death adders and, of course, Terry.

A spokeswoman for the Northern Territory police said that they had identified the boy from the CCTV footage. They had cautioned him and spoken to his mother about the incident.
Re: Boy, 7, goes on killing spree in zoo
Date: October 07, 2008 02:03AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Read about it last week and I was very upset. I hope that boy gets a beating and his parents pay a hefty fine and the boy is forced to see a psychologist for the next 5 years and worse stuff that I won't write.
Date: October 07, 2008 11:27AM
Posted by: Sapo
Shame about those animals, but indeed more frightning is that boy, doing all that in cold blood as it seems.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: October 07, 2008 12:22PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
terrible :( hope his punishment is truley something scarring that'll stick with him for the rest of his life.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 07, 2008 12:24PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think putting him in the same cage as his crocodile friend will scar him enough.

I hope the parents get punished. They are the ones who are responsible for the kid.
Date: October 07, 2008 01:00PM
Posted by: Sapo
Nickv schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think putting him in the same cage as his
> crocodile friend will scar him enough.
>
> I hope the parents get punished. They are the ones
> who are responsible for the kid.

In this case I even have the idea that kid is so psychologically deranged, his parents could not do anything about that.

Like that kid in The Omen ;)

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: October 08, 2008 09:48PM
Posted by: anze89
I bet it's Zoo Tycoon's and Wolf3D's fault :p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy