Router as midpoint??

Posted by DJSKYLINE 
Router as midpoint??
Date: September 28, 2008 06:49PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Need answer to my question please

I am connected to a uni wireless network however the signal is really low (shows 1mb connection speed in network properties) however i get good signal like 10 steps from my desk.

Any chance I can use a router in the middle to help with signal as surely the router's arial will be able to get a better range at connecting to the network than my laptop

Then can i connect my laptop to the router and use the internet as normal?
If so, will any router do this.. as i need to find the cheapest if so...:)

Wireless Uni network >>> Router connected to wireless network >>> Laptop connected to router (wirelessly or cable)

im sure iv read somewhere this can be done..?

Re: Router as midpoint??
Date: September 28, 2008 07:22PM
Posted by: airefresco
I´ve been trying to find out how to do the exact same thing. Let me know if you figure it out.
Date: September 28, 2008 07:28PM
Posted by: MattB
Isnt there an ethernet port you can plug into?

Date: September 28, 2008 07:48PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
nope its wireless here. I can pay to access the 'decent' signal wireless service except i can just about receive signal from the general service that is available in the library. So if i can only increase the connection speed i cont have to pay £180odd for the year.

Date: September 28, 2008 08:02PM
Posted by: sasjag
you'd want a wireless extender/signal booster i would imagine, such as this one

[www.hawkingtech.com]

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy