Forum software update "Wishlist."

Posted by mortal 
Re: Forum software update "Wishlist."
Date: September 02, 2008 02:11PM
Posted by: gav
It's nice in other threads too, such as a Top Gear discussion one or if discussing football.
Date: September 02, 2008 06:21PM
Posted by: SilverBlaze
Ed's suggestion seems cool.. [warning bars]

But what we really miss is the option to disable smileys, so that you will only see the text versions.

HD SUZUKA - MENU ADDONS - ONBOARD CAMERAS - VIDS
Date: September 02, 2008 06:37PM
Posted by: chet
Monil, i think ive got the clock issue sorted out now ;)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 02, 2008 08:44PM
Posted by: Sapo
I want the temporarily layout we had the 1st of April back.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: September 02, 2008 09:04PM
Posted by: Monza972
Sapo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want the temporarily layout we had the 1st of
> April back.

NOOOOOO!

@Chet: Glad to hear it ;)
Date: September 02, 2008 10:01PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Maybe something, that we could vote for posts to be negative or positive, similar to the stuff at youtube. (and the very low ones would only show when clicking on it)
Other than that a view counter would be nice for threads :)
Date: September 02, 2008 10:07PM
Posted by: sasjag
possibly polls as well, and a decent quote function!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 02, 2008 10:56PM
Posted by: BAR#10
When is the update going to come into effect, mortal?

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: September 02, 2008 11:03PM
Oh and on the suggestions, the IP is seen by admins and mods only, and I think it should stay that way.
About rep system, warnings, youtube esque +1, -1:
I don't think it's the best idea, it could promote flamefests ... ah, what the hell, I kind of wanna see what happens;)
*note to myself; buy lots of popcorn;)*

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: September 02, 2008 11:10PM
To be fair, any rep system would be no worse than what we have at the moment, which is pretty much based on reputation. Bruninho posts, and most discounts opinion, or worse, bites and replies. Dave posts and he's seen as knowledgeable but forthright. Anze posts and everyone wishes he could type more than 4 characters.

Everyone knows everyone else's reputation, so it's only the (very limited number of) newcomers who are at a loss.

For the rest, that rep system would show just how valued their opinions are.

It is open to abuse, but that doesn't stop the majority (myself included) from abusing the existing system anyway.
Date: September 02, 2008 11:25PM
But why is important to have it though, gav?
It can easily transform into a highschool popularity contest which serves what purpose exactly?
I don't want to see people being afraid expressing their oppinion which wouldn't fit the norm once they'd see -8 on the side of their post.
(and no, not thinking about anyone particular at all, neither am I including hate speech and such as an example)

Self censoring was mentioned lots in the neutrality thread as an argument, and while I know there could be different context with that word is placed in, I find it one of the ugliest words in vocabulary (that comes from being a journalist, I guess:).

GPGSL career;
Date: September 02, 2008 11:56PM
Posted by: sasjag
well i, and I'd hope most people here, are tolerant and wouldn't think any less of someone who posted an opinion/thought out of the norm, as long as it was put forth correctly and didn't insult anyone

a rep system would work as long as it was anonymous.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 03, 2008 01:15AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Just found that in a vbulletin software:

User cp

check user cp diversification between it's options, the forumer has control over many variated things, even own blog, that would be good for ppl who like to write heavy essays or give a critic about some kind of event:

Quick reply box

box with many visible tools, saves many ppl who dont have total knowledge in the script itself, and also there are some nice other ones in this pic as you can see:

Advanced reply option:

tbh there's fun for whole family in this part, you can disable smileys or choose between alot of them also check the number of utilities , many ways to format the texts, spoiler tag , youtube ,etc...also the user can give a title for the post only itself and each one gets a link for it so a person can link an other straight to it's post not necessarily the need to look for it in whole thread.

Smileys

for the part of the forumers who likes smileys this would be very sweet just check the number of options when click "more" in advanced reply , there's really alot *notice the roll bar is still in top, everything til the very bottom is filled with all kinds of smileys

well thats pretty much it guys, hope it contributes for some ideas here!
Date: September 03, 2008 01:26AM
Posted by: mortal
I can't say when it will be upgraded, right now we are just collecting members views on it ok. They'll all be looked at, and you'll get some notice of when the site will go down for the upgrade.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 03, 2008 01:28AM
mortal Wrote:
> I can't say when it will be upgraded, right now we
> are just collecting members views on it ok.
> They'll all be looked at, and you'll get some
> notice of when the site will go down for the
> upgrade.

Sure, no probs, was just wondering.

GPGSL career;
Date: September 03, 2008 01:32AM
BAR#10 Wrote:
> But why is important to have it though, gav?

I didn't say it was important...

I was just pointing out that the negatives on this particular forum aren't as pronounced as they would perhaps ordinarily be.

Perhaps a rep system which aids helpful members would be more suitable. How it would be regulated I've no idea, but if it could be managed then it may give more impetus to some members to be more beneficial to the community, if they've anything to offer.
Date: September 03, 2008 01:41AM
Posted by: Guimengo
There was an user at the GP4 section who was very helpful to the GP4 community but got into constant arguments and apparently stirred others. As useful as he was, it was the case he ended up being banned. It's all very touchy.
Date: September 03, 2008 01:48AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
generally in the forums where it exists repwhorism is considered a bannable offense, and as time goes by the forumer increase the rep points he can give to someone (also involving an equation depending the points the user already has etc..), so intially a new account cannot give rep points to other, also the system can be set to only start make ppl able to spread a descent amount after few months; so this all makes hard for the nerds to start creating 50+ accounts to rep themselves, having good monitoration it's really a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 01:52AM by Rodrigo007.
Date: September 03, 2008 01:55AM
Posted by: chet
Am I the only who likes the forum as it is and thinks it's fine as it is?

I agree there are a few posts here and there which you really dont want to read and which are just the biggest waste of time ever. But thats just a common problem on a forum like this which has many many members with alot of new posts alot of the time.

Unless ive not fully understood I dont really see what a rep system can do for us which would make this place more of a worthwhile site to visit. I guess I dont really fully understand from what ive read but can someone just explain it simply what it does and why.

Also this is probably far less relavent but I like the look of this forum, everything is where I want it to be and how I want it to be. It's quite simple, easy to use, when you search you dont have to type those stupid letter things like on some sites. The colours are nice and neutral, nothing too glaring but easy to see.

if you dont mind me asking, why are we looking to upgrade something which imo does not need it? Im going to guess thats not the opinion of many others though :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 03, 2008 02:15AM
Gav, I see.

GPGSL career;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy