What do I have to do!!!!

Posted by Willb 
Re: What do I have to do!!!!
Date: June 01, 2008 12:03PM
Posted by: gav
//edit: bugger, 2nd post goes onto page 2.

OK, let's dissect this.

1) GT and FM are "pure racing sims"? Would this guy actually die if I sent him GPL (just for the shear hard work and realism at the time), NR2003 and various rF mods? Anyone have an address?

2) Tell me this is an easter egg they planted and was accidentally activated in a press version... not even Flat Out can do that... oh dear... although I suppose that is a sim....

3) There we go... the reason to get this is to crash. Hands up who never deliberately drove the wrong way in GP2, GP3 or GP4 to see how far apart you could get the 2 halves of the car? Did it more than 5-10 times (when drunk doesn't count)? Thought not.

4) Right... so GTA hasn't been released yet? Not exactly a racing game, but it's certainly a motoring one. I don't have it yet (just as I don't own a 360 or PS3) but I'd much rather shoot an American cop in the face than I would haplessly turn left and right occasionally with just the occasional tap of a button to slow down.

5 stars? Seriously, how? What he's just described is a game with the longevity and interest of a dead moth. How could even the biggest petrol-headed arcade fan be interested in this for more than a week? It requires no skill, its best feature is one which allows those with less than no skill to try again, it has a good damage model, but so did Carmageddon in the late 90's (which I'd still much rather play)... £50?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 12:05PM by gav.
Date: June 01, 2008 01:28PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
This is ripe for Game's 3 for £10 / £4.99 each or £3 for £20 / £9.99 each, much like Race Driver 2 and probably 3 (haven't got 3, still working up the courage to finish 2 yet, using the steering wheel was a big mistake, so I went back to the keyboard's < > ^ v keys). 1 was really the only one I enjoyed, and that was years ago. I just hope Codey gets it right for the Formula 1 2009 game.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 01, 2008 02:19PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I was in a discussion with the Executive Producer of GRiD on the Codemasters forum over the poor qualify of physics and tracks in the game - something he denied and then later changed to "We put the emphasis on fun!" and called Sim racers "snobs". After backing him into a corner we got the discussion down to if I posted about it again, posts would be deleted.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2008 05:52PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
woah, take a look at this topic:

[community.codemasters.com]

"Quote:
3: GPL. Mayble the most realistic sim ever, especially good when new graphics patch released. many people still race this in leauges

You forgot "probably responsible, along with GP3, for killing the all-out racing sim as a mainstream product" :-)"

Much arrogance from developers there ;) I can see how gpl would put off the "average gamer" but gp3 is very accessible, and the driving aids are really well done, even if the game is a bore to play now. For someone that is just getting into "sims" it is a good product. And gp3 did really well from what I remember? So I dunno where he got that from :S

H E L L O
Date: June 01, 2008 05:52PM
Posted by: sasjag
wait...hub caps?

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 01, 2008 06:12PM
Daniel Knott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Much arrogance from developers there ;) I can see
> how gpl would put off the "average gamer" but gp3
> is very accessible, and the driving aids are
> really well done, even if the game is a bore to
> play now. For someone that is just getting into
> "sims" it is a good product. And gp3 did really
> well from what I remember? So I dunno where he got
> that from :S

GPL might have changed the course of the sim-racing market had it actually succeeded as a product. The fact is it never delivered enough sales for Sierra or Papyrus for them to even consider a sequel. I feel it was more the era it was based on more than anything else which caused it to fail. It became notoriously difficult to solve problems on, but on and near release it was fine, with support for more graphics solutions than most other titles, and 2 further being added (and they've just been updated to support newer cards and drivers too).

How realistic it is is a bone of contention. By 1998 standards it was realistic. Yes it is too difficult to drive fast with a fast, standard or default setup, but it's also very easy with a stable setup, so I've never really seen all the logic in people saying it's too hard. I always found NR2003 much more difficult to drive fast in on the ovals - I'd always swap ends entering a turn. I was right up to a decent pace in GPL (with a joystick) where as NR2003 with a wheel I pretty much gave up on after a couple of months. The AI in GPL is dire though. GPx always had it nailed for that, and there's no speed control for the AI (like GPx had), only how far apart the AI were speed wise, and how many aids you had on your own car.

Agreed on the GP3 thing (and the same applies to GP2 and GP4). Even with keys it was piss simple if you had just a couple of aids on. If you turn them all off (steering help totally off too) it became a little more difficult, but it was still too easy.

TOCA was a massive hit in it's early days with the BTCC series. I never liked it, but it was easy enough to appeal to a mass market while still maintaining a degree of realism. I fully expect Grid is just ludicrous as anything more than laugh for a week or so.
Date: June 01, 2008 06:42PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It's funny looking back at GPL and calling the AI dire. Are they really though? NR2003s ignore you are there, but never crash into each other. rFactors...lmao. GTR2/RACE Can't pass each other. nkPros doesn;t even exist. GPL never had good AI, but looking back, especailly for its time, it wasn't too bad at all.

Yes it is too difficult to drive fast with a fast, standard or default setup, but it's also very easy with a stable setup, so I've never really seen all the logic in people saying it's too hard.

It's not the setups that are too hard though, it's the overall physics. Obviously being too hard doesn't make it unrealistic. That's like saying NR2003s camber exploits make it unrealistic. Of coruse not, its still a sim and both are still important mile stones in sim racings history. But its well documented that GPL is far too twichy and fast, despite the strange front end tyre physics.

I guess its sad that we may never get another full dedicate sim for PCs like this. rFactor 2 will almost certainly be unlicensed. nKBike? Please. Simbin and Blimey! have both taken the arcade route. iRacing will without a doubt be 100% simulation, but its a bit extreme for most and its yet to be seen if it will be the next big thing, or a flop. And in terms of licenses, sim racing is at the lowest point ever. :-\

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2008 07:37PM
I didn't realise the new blimey things were going to be arcade too? is the ferrari one? I mean gtr2 felt a bit grippy but it was still a reasonable compromise.

Whether or not gpl is completely realistic (which it is not but it does a good estimation of it) doesn't really matter. It is certainly a lot of fun and has the best "feel" of a game like that. I can't say I've even tried really racing against the ai in it. Unless you turn of the ai scaling there is no point anyway, as the leaders are always scaled to be faster than any times you are doing.

I think maybe people tried to play gpl with keyboard if that put them off. I also heard that spec requirements were staggeringly high at the time or something.

They were planning to implement trainer cars and a proper little "guiding you through until you get to the proper big 67 f1 cars" kind of tutorial, driver apprenticeship system but they ran out of time. I think that would have helped things quite a bit, although still I doubt it would have made it "mainstream" as such. It would have certainly helped though.

Mind you it wasn't heavily advertised either - I had never even heard of the game until i came here. I don't remember it being hyped by the media and such. But then no magazines really reviewed rbr either - they just kind of ignored it or said it was "too frustrating".

Yer gpx series has by far the best ai. It's just a shame they didn't really change much through each iteration of it. It's a bit boring to drive, but then gp4s default setups make it even more dull.

netbike hmm... I don't see how you can really do a bike game though - there is not the controller for it unless you want to rob one of those ride on bikes from the old arcade machines :p What would be best for controlling it though? i really don't know :S Analogue pad maybe - but then still if you have leaning and turning as seperate controls it's like you end up running out of fingers after a while hah.

I can't see iracing helping matters to be honest. I've no doubt it will be great but the costs will be astronomical. It's also heavily focused on ovals and almost all the tracks are american - you can see where their interests lie. I mean the only big european track I can see (admittedly at a glance) is silverstone - and that is such a boring track. I was very shocked to play it in gpl to find that it's old layout actually transformed it from being quite dull to actually being fun. The lack of grip for the cars help no doubt but still.

There are some good tracks there from the american ones but still, I dunno, it's the old layout classic tracks that tend to be the most fun and you ain't ever going to find a game like gpl released ever again unfortunately i fear. Glen is almost the same - although again I still prefer the old layout with the mental fast sweeper into "oh @#$%& brake while turning the corner" bend and then the "much sharper than you think it is" final corner.

If they hadn't of priced it monthly I would give it a go. But not only is it monthly, it's also going to have downloadable content that you have to pay extra for. I mean surely it should be one or the other.
Okay, maybe pay monthly if you want to have to use their servers, but let other people buy the thing stand alone and the community run their own servers.

I just can't see how this is going to get people to move on from gpl - particularly as it doesn't offer a lot of what that does. I can't see gpl dying out any time soon.

H E L L O
Date: June 01, 2008 07:58PM
Daniel Knott Wrote:
> I just can't see how this is going to get people
> to move on from gpl - particularly as it doesn't
> offer a lot of what that does. I can't see gpl
> dying out any time soon.

I could until a few weeks ago. Neither the latest ATi (XP only) nor NV cards worked with it until Nigel Pattinson updated the old 3D rasterisers.
Date: June 01, 2008 08:53PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
@ Daniel Knott

you can adjust the GPL ai times greatly by changing the ai file for each track.
In the track.ini file go to

[ GP ]
dlong_speed_adj_coeff = 1.032000 ; value modifies dlong velocities (i.e.RELS)

dlong_speed_maximum = 2.370000 ; max. dlong speed (meters/tick)

Editing the top one is best I find, as it reduces/increases both cornering and straight line speeds.

If you use GEM+ you can click ai speed to create a new track specific ai file, which lets you modify the existing one too.
I do it through GEM+2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 08:55PM by salvasirignano.
Date: June 01, 2008 09:18PM
salvasirignano Wrote:
> @ Daniel Knott
>
> you can adjust the GPL ai times greatly by
> changing the ai file for each track.

He meant that unless you turn off the AI's dynamic speed, the top drivers will always be around or above your speed, as when you go slower or faster, so do they.

To be honest, I never found the option did too much - if you're very slow of very fast, they can never vary enough to adjust to your pace.

I used to do a lot of offline running before I started in VaderTrophy, and damn I'm pleased I stopped - with the low latencies of most ISPs now (in most countries anyway) online running is so, so much better (sounds obvious I know, but many still haven't driven a race online). There's always someone around your pace online. Unless you're Gui of course. ;)
Date: June 01, 2008 09:23PM
Yes I know that :D That's why I said:

"Unless you turn of the ai scaling" (although I meant to type "off" oops :P)

Thanks though.

For me though, the enjoyment in gpl is racing against other people online and also constantly trying to improve laptimes. That and it's just a really fun game to drive.

I either don't know what gem is or I have forgotten. I don't think I've ever used it though.

Hmm yes gav, that's why I am nervous about upgrading from me old 9600 pro. It's safest to stay at dx9 cars, so if I want no (or not many) problems with old games, the highest I can go is x1950. I guess I'll get round to it eventually but for an agp version of those you pay a premium at the moment - almost makes me want to get a pci-e board :p but then I might as well get a whole knew pc which I can't be arsed to do at the moment ;)

H E L L O
Date: June 01, 2008 10:01PM
Oops, sorry, I should learn to read perhaps? ;)
I've never played any game online, I realise it is probably much better than racing AI.
I'm still more Andrea de Cesaris than Schumacher in all racing games I play, even the 65 mod, so it may be best if I continue to refrain from online racing, unless I learn to drive properly sometime.
Date: June 01, 2008 11:01PM
Hmm I didn't even know how to install the 65 mod so i've never tried it :P Plus it used some funny thing for online rather than winvroc

H E L L O
Date: June 01, 2008 11:05PM
Posted by: sasjag
salvasirignano Wrote:
> Oops, sorry, I should learn to read perhaps? ;)
> I've never played any game online, I realise it is
> probably much better than racing AI.
> I'm still more Andrea de Cesaris than Schumacher
> in all racing games I play, even the 65 mod, so it
> may be best if I continue to refrain from online
> racing, unless I learn to drive properly sometime.

go online now - seriously

you will progress MUCH faster, and you'll learn from other people on how to improve. most of teh GPL community are quite friendly and willing to offer advice.

Unless your Gui

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 01, 2008 11:10PM
Daniel Knott Wrote:
> Hmm I didn't even know how to install the 65 mod
> so i've never tried it :P Plus it used some funny
> thing for online rather than winvroc

iGOR, which is bundled with GEM+ (which lets you edit some options through a GUI, but mainly it lets you control the mods and mix engines in different chassis and so on. If you install GEM+, then you don't need to use iGOR instead of WinVROC - they happily coexist.

Fair to say that GEM+ is required for the mods - I believe a version of it is bundled with all of the ones I know of. 65, 66 and 69 mods are all too easy in my opinion, particularly 65 (as in they went to far to correct the perceived GPL difficulty), but they still add a bit more to GPL overall. The Thundercar mod (supposedly loosely based on 70's Indycars) is just damn good fun.
Date: June 01, 2008 11:18PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hahahahahaha Gav :P. Yes I am off the pace, but I am a consistent 2-3s slower driver (yes I do keep it on the road now!). I've actually managed to lap in the same hundredth of a second in GPL, my last tries (where I took down my rank, if you check GPL Rank), I promised Daniel I'd race with him sometime soon but with work + moving to an apartment on my own soon I don't know when I will do it. I haven't played ANY games in 6 weeks, but I hope to get back to GPL soon as the last time I was running it I played it about 3-4 days in a row, a couple of hours total and was supreme fun :). Just had the embarrassment of retiring early in a VT race thanks to physical issues (my chairs are broken, my butt and thighs hurt like hell ;).

I still gotta try the 65 and 69 mods...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 03:43AM by Guimengo.
Date: June 02, 2008 09:44AM
If you think a VT race is a long time to be racing before you get arse ache, you should sign you up for a VTR endurance race. Le Mans in a couple of weeks. I fancy a laugh. ;)

How my ribs would hurt if the first person to beat my 10hr non-stop stint would be Gui with his chair.
Date: June 02, 2008 11:17AM
sasjag Wrote:
> salvasirignano Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oops, sorry, I should learn to read perhaps? ;)
> > I've never played any game online, I realise it
> is
> > probably much better than racing AI.
> > I'm still more Andrea de Cesaris than
> Schumacher
> > in all racing games I play, even the 65 mod, so
> it
> > may be best if I continue to refrain from
> online
> > racing, unless I learn to drive properly
> sometime.
>
>
> go online now - seriously
>
> you will progress MUCH faster, and you'll learn
> from other people on how to improve. most of teh
> GPL community are quite friendly and willing to
> offer advice.
>
>
> Unless your Gui

Right, I think i'll practice really quite a lot at the '67s this summer, and then in September when I'm back at uni with internet, I'll give it a go.
The throttle pedal on my old wingman wheel is quite jumpy though, so it may have to go first.
To be fair I do sometimes have the same as Gui, all the chairs I have are horrendously bad for playing racing games, I feel more comfortable being thrown around in a kart for an hour non stop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 11:49AM by salvasirignano.
Date: June 02, 2008 01:02PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
[www.metacritic.com]

I never understand Reviewers sometimes, I mean the demo of Grid was awful, even for an arcade game as Grid is trying to take on the PGR Series, and tbh, PGR is much much more fun to drive... The only thing Grid has going for it is the graphics (Then again what isn't beautiful graphics these days?) and its damage model (Burnout Paradise already covered that and then some, and its alot more fun to play!) Sound as you could see from that vid LS posted is AWFUL, Physics are just plain weird and drift part of the game is just a waste of time. Yet for some reason it gets a rating of 88 on metacritic ahead of PGR4 and equalling PGR3?!

This imo is one of many reasons I've started ignoring reviews of games except maybe Yahtzee's reviews, only reason for that is because he's the only person I've seen who has actually reviewed Halo 3 for what it is, and not going on its hype! But thats a different story :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 01:06PM by Ianwoollam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy