Disk Imaging Programs

Posted by Glyn 
Disk Imaging Programs
Date: May 15, 2008 04:57PM
Posted by: Glyn
Does anyone have any recommendations for disk imaging software for use on servers? The last time I tried Ghost 8 on a primary schools server it point blank refused to restore the files. A quick Google concluded I hit the limit for the number of files you can have. I need to take an image of another server now with which has roughly 500,000 files and 60,000 folders spread across about 100 GB.

Any suggestions from anyone whos attempted more than your usual desktop PC for imaging?

Cheers

Re: Disk Imaging Programs
Date: May 15, 2008 07:03PM
Posted by: _tux_
what about using a winpe2 boot disk with imagex added to it to create the image?
Date: May 15, 2008 08:42PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
My first suggestion would have been Ghost, but that seems to have been discounted already.

Assuming the school's paying, what about HDClone? Another quick Google on their limits (if any) show it doesn't appear to have any, but it would be worth calling them before purchasing.

EDIT: [www.ronmar.netfirms.com]. This is the PDF manual I found. It could help decide whether it's worth it or not.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 08:46PM by turkey_machine.
Date: May 15, 2008 09:24PM
Posted by: Glyn
That HDClone looks a pretty good program actually, and it's free!!! May well start using that for imagining workstations. The only problem for the server is it doesn't support RAID which is one thing Ghost does well, if horrifically slowly).

Good find :)

Date: May 15, 2008 10:13PM
Posted by: gav
Acronis True Image & a BartPE disk (you can add whatever Windows mass storage drivers you like, so RAID works) sounds ideal for you. The Enterprise Server edition can mount images as virtual drives (with read or write mode - write mode adding to the existing image rather than overwriting), etc.

Only 250,000 files and 24,000 folders here though. :P

//edit: You're not the first to complain about Ghost's refusal to restore images - not seen a report of it for a while, but it seemed very common a couple of year back.

//edit2: Missed a rather critical word last night. Oops :D

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2008 09:23AM by gav.
Date: May 16, 2008 03:25AM
Posted by: Ryoji
drive snapshot seems to be ok. not freeware though, 30-day trial, which means it just does restore your images after the trial period.

[www.drivesnapshot.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy