whats wrong with youtube?

Posted by rajahassan 
whats wrong with youtube?
Date: February 24, 2008 02:18PM
Posted by: rajahassan
i cant access youtube.does anyone else have the same problem?

Raja Hassan Bin Naeem.
Re: whats wrong with youtube?
Date: February 24, 2008 02:57PM
Posted by: NickKK
It be working fine 'ere

Date: February 24, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: sasjag
Youtube has been blocked in Pakistan i'm afraid

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 24, 2008 06:12PM
Posted by: rajahassan
where have u heard this?

Raja Hassan Bin Naeem.
Date: February 24, 2008 06:14PM
"Pakistan blocks YouTube website

Turkey and Thailand have in the past also banned access to the site

Pakistan has blocked access to the popular YouTube website because of content deemed offensive to Islam.

Its telecommunications authority ordered internet service providers to block the site until further notice.

Reports said the content included Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad that have outraged many.

But one report said a trailer for a forthcoming film by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, which portrays Islam in a negative light, was behind the ban.

"They asked us to ban it immediately... and the order says the ban will continue until further notice," said Wahaj-us-Siraj, convener of the Association of Pakistan Internet Service Providers.

"Users are quite upset. They're screaming at ISPs which can't do anything.

"The government has valid reason for that, but they have to find a better way of doing it. If we continue blocking popular websites, people will stop using the internet."

Other countries that have temporarily blocked access to YouTube include Turkey and Thailand."

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Sim

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 24, 2008 06:31PM
Posted by: Monza972
you could try to change the ip?
Date: February 24, 2008 06:40PM
Posted by: gav
...?

That's not gonna work. It's blocked by his ISP apparently. Other than going through a proxy (no idea how that will work with Flash) which will be illegal anyway, he's a bit stuffed. All he can do is complain like many others are doing and hope.

Could be worse. You could be a Chinese user.
Date: February 24, 2008 07:31PM
Posted by: matt3454
"But one report said a trailer for a forthcoming film by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, which portrays Islam in a negative light, was behind the ban."

Thats a pathetic excuse.

Date: February 24, 2008 07:34PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Could be worse. You could be a Chinese user.

The Non-So-Great Wooden Fence of Pakistan?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 24, 2008 08:03PM
Maybe it's his Non-So-Great Wooden Fence Firewall?

Touch of amusement I guess, but Youtube has just fallen over for me (was working fine 30min ago) :)
Date: February 24, 2008 08:47PM
Posted by: mika19b
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's his Non-So-Great Wooden Fence
> Firewall?
>
> Touch of amusement I guess, but Youtube has just
> fallen over for me (was working fine 30min ago) :)

Yep, youtube has just stopped working for me too!
Date: February 25, 2008 01:20AM
"Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube has been blamed for an almost global blackout of the video website for more than an hour on Sunday.

BBC News has learned that the outage was almost certainly connected to Pakistan Telecom and Asian internet service provider PCCW.

A leading net professional said the global outage was "probably a mistake".

Pakistan ordered internet service providers to block the site because of content deemed offensive to Islam.

The BBC News website's technology editor, Darren Waters, says that to block Pakistan's citizens from accessing YouTube it is believed Pakistan Telecom "hijacked" the web server address of the popular video site.

Those details were then passed on to the country's internet service providers so that anyone in Pakistan attempting to go to YouTube was instead re-directed to a different address.

But the details of the "hijack" were leaked out into the wider internet from PCCW and as a result YouTube was mistakenly blocked by internet service providers around the world.

The block on the servers was lifted once PCCW had been told of the issue by engineers at YouTube.

A leading net professional told BBC News: "This was probably a simple mistake by an engineer at Pakistan Telecom. There's nothing to suggest this was malicious."

IP hijacking involves taking over a web site's unique address by corrupting the internet's routing tables, which direct the flow of data around the world.

No-one at YouTube or PCCW was immediately available for comment."

[news.bbc.co.uk]

lmao :|

Sim

Date: February 25, 2008 02:05AM
Not being a telecommunications expert I don't know, but how the hell is that possible? What control over DNS do the Pakistani telecommunications networks (which it's probably fair to say isn't the most advanced) have? Unless of course the Youtube servers are located in Pakistan (doubtful saying as half of them are probably on the Google campus now).
Date: February 25, 2008 02:11AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Pakistan Telecom didn't directly cause the outage, but the request to block Youtube was mistakenly passed to other ISPs not part of Pakistan, therefore it was blocked, therefore chaos for people trying to view stupid people online. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 25, 2008 02:28AM
That still sounds like complete horse to me. given it was blocked for a whole range of people in different countries and different ISPs, unless this request was sent to every ISP in the world I don't see how it could have happened.

However your explanation is completely different from the BBCs explanation anyway, so doesn't answer how it could be possible.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 25, 2008 07:05AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
i agree it sounds like BS but turkey machine's summary is what the BBC article says happened - However how something like a 'request to block' youtube could be passed on in the first place and then acted upon internationally is muffed up.

I reckon the Pakistanis couldn't work out how to block the country from seeing it and so they launched some form of DoS attack on it ;)

Changed the word to Pakistanis, I don't think you meant it as an insult but it could still be offensive to some. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 03:13PM by MarcLister.
Date: February 25, 2008 07:50AM
The telecom company that carries most of Pakistan’s traffic, PCCW, has found it necessary to shut Pakistan off from the Internet while they filter out the malicious routes that a Pakistani ISP, PieNet, announced earlier today. Evidently PieNet took this step to enforce a decree from the Pakistani government that ISP’s must block access to YouTube because it was a source of blasphemous content.

I cannot let the irony pass with out commenting. A religious state, Pakistan, identifies a content provider, YouTube, as the source of blasphemous, seditious content and orders, King Canute style, that the Internet tides be stopped. A zealous ISP ignorantly decides the best way to comply with the decree is to re-route all of YouTube’s IP addresses to whatever site they thought was more appropriate. The first repercussion was that YouTube disappeared from the Internet for almost an hour. I suspect the second repercussion was that Pakistan’s Internet access crawled to a halt as all of a sudden they were handling IP requests for one of the busiest sites in the world. As of this writing YouTube has announced more granular routes so that at least in the US they supercede the routes announced by PieNet. The rest of the world is still struggling. So, while working on a fix that will filter out the spurious route announcements, PCCW has found it necessary to shut down Pakistan’s Internet access. The leadership of Pakistan just created a massive Denial of Service on their own country.

I could say: “be careful what you wish for” to those elements that object to free and open access to information and expression of ideas. But to put it in terms they might understand better: Do not anger the Internet gods or you will suffer their wrath!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy