New Computer : New Specs

Posted by SpaceAce 
New Computer : New Specs
Date: February 18, 2008 11:30AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
Ok its now my turn for one of these threads.
Im down in australia...

So heres what i can get in a relatively cheap deal, just want to know what you guys think..

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz
ASUS P5k Deluxe 1394 WIFI Motherboard
250gb 7200rpm Enhanced cached ide dual channel hdd
8gb DDR2 800 ( 2 lots of 2x2gb)
512Mb Nvidia GF 8600GT PCI-E
Shaw 550W Deluxe Full Depth Size ATX Medium Tower with thermal fan speed controller

and other stuff like a monitor, speaker system, keybaord mouse blah blah

For $1800

Will be running Windows XP on it...

Thoughts and ideas?

GPGSL WDC Season 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 07:08AM by SpaceAce.
Re: New Computer
Date: February 18, 2008 11:39AM
Posted by: mortal
Will be running Windows XP on it...
That's got to be the best part :)
Have you tried one of those Town Hall Sunday computer markets and sourcing the bits from there, playing one trader off against the other :-) and paying a dude there $50-00 to put it together. Otherwise it looks ok.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 18, 2008 11:50AM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will be running Windows XP on it...
> That's got to be the best part :)
> Have you tried one of those Town Hall Sunday
> computer markets and sourcing the bits from there,
> playing one trader off against the other :-) and
> paying a dude there $50-00 to put it together.
> Otherwise it looks ok.

getting it from MSY
which are just as cheap as the swap meets or close enough too...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 18, 2008 12:08PM
Posted by: gav
Strongly advise against XP if you're going to be using 8gb. 32-bit XP (or Vista, or any 32-bit OS) can only address around 3.2gb max and any single process (we'll call it program for simplicity) can only use a max of 2gb. The system would work fine, but obviously you'd be missing more than half your RAM. Really you'll need a 64-bit operating system to use more than 3.2gb, and WinXP x64 isn't really that good for home use, unless the devices are very common and have regular driver updates. Your only realistic choice is Vista x64 (dual-booting with 32-bit XP for compatibility if you must) and it is rapidly becoming the norm, so just get that instead.

I know the temptation with buying 8gb RAM while it's so cheap. You'll want it eventually, and prices are starting to edge back up again, and I can't see them being this cheap for a while. Got 8gb sitting in my system I'm waiting to finish off.

If it's a gaming machine dump the 8600. It's utter @#$%& for the money. Get a HD3850 (512mb ones are great and easily the sweet spot for value at the moment), HD3870 or a 8800GT (256mb one is a bit crap) if you're somewhat bemusedly determined to stick to NVIDIA.

Dump that PSU. It won't last 5 months with that system, and will probably take out the rest of it when it does go. Get something from Seasonic, FSP the Corsair 520W or maybe Enermax if you're really pushed for choice.

Don't go "blah blah blah" with the monitor, keyboard and mouse. They're the most important part of your system so do some research. You don't need to spend a fortune to get best for your use, so just have a look around, test some in person if you can, and make a reasoned choice rather than just getting the cheapest.
Date: February 18, 2008 12:15PM
yeah i think i will have to dual boot Vista 64 and WinXP because ProTools (audio software) isnt vista compatible as yet...
i think i might order the parts individually instead of the package ive got infront of me here...

thanks for ur help gav, appreaciate it... thats why i posted here cos i not to sure what im looking at..

let me know if u think of anything else

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 18, 2008 12:31PM
Definitely better ordering and building yourself (or getting someone to help you) high-end systems. It's generally cheaper at the low-end to buy pre-built, but not the high-end. And you never really know what's in any pre-built, which is rather worrying when you're spending that much.

Just noticed the HDD which is IDE, which presumably is a PATA drive rather than SATA (IDE applies to both and is wrongly used to describe PATA drives). Sounds like someone wants to clear some stock. :P

Can't fault the rest though. CPU, motherboard are fine and RAM just generally works no matter who makes it.

If you're going to be overclocking you'll need a really good CPU cooler, as those Q6600s run pretty damn hot under full load.
Date: February 18, 2008 12:42PM
so a friend of mine builds high end pc's for a living, so he's going to give me a quote for one tomorrow... if i could ill post it here again and see what you guys think... he said all the same things as you...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 18, 2008 05:07PM
Posted by: Willb
To be honest I'd wait for the new 45nm Core 2's to arrive in a few weeks/months or so, they look amazing. I think Toms hardware has some reviews on them.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: February 18, 2008 06:13PM
The Core2Quads look really nice, but not if you're overclocking - you'll need a motherboard needs to be able to get a really high FSB to overclock one of the 45nm quads. That said, I'd have still got one when I ordered mine if they were out by then.

The 45nm Core2Duos (the 8000s) are a mixed bag. They generally overclock very well, but are apparently full of bugs and have a few little niggles. If anyone is considering one of those I'd wait a few weeks (not least because the prices are rising like hell in the places that do have them in stock - OcUK have the £140 8400 selling for £200 just because of supply and demand).
Date: February 19, 2008 12:23PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
the few reviews i read of the 8000 series say there all awesome little things. Id get one if i didnt have an E6600 anyway

Date: February 19, 2008 02:15PM
Quick Google: [www.techpowerup.com]

I've not got one, or seen one in the flesh, and I'd buy one over a E6600 now, but they're certainly not without their problems. Intel CPUs have massively more calculating bugs than AMD's newish Phenoms too, which I was rather surprised to hear.
Date: February 19, 2008 10:05PM
Posted by: ThunderDesign
8gb and a 8600 ?! dude 4 gb and a 8800 gts ( new version ) or a GT.

Raymond Buijs - Thunder Design

Burn Rubber, Not your soul !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2008 11:39PM by ThunderDesign.
Re: New Computer : New Specs
Date: February 20, 2008 07:08AM
Motherboard: Asus P5KC
CPU: Intel Q6600
RAM: 8gb A-Data PC6400/800 DDR2
Graphics Card: XFX 512mb 8800GT
Hard-Drive: Western Digital 500gb (7,200RPM)
DVD-Burner: Pioneer DVR-215BK
Case: Antec Sonata III
Monitor: 19" Acer X193WB

WITH: 8gb RAM - $1945 + $100 labour
WITH: 4gb RAM - $1790 + $100 labour

Let me know what you think.

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 20, 2008 07:52AM
Posted by: chrislewis
I just recently bought a similar PC to yours except I got a 22 inch wide screen monitor which wasn't too expensive & definately don't regret getting. It's not too much more expensive either.

Date: February 20, 2008 08:06AM
chrislewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just recently bought a similar PC to yours
> except I got a 22 inch wide screen monitor which
> wasn't too expensive & definately don't regret
> getting. It's not too much more expensive either.

the monitors for another computer...
ill be running 2x 19" monitors on this rig =)

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 20, 2008 08:25AM
Posted by: Robert
I'd get 4gb ram if I were you, as I don't think you'd really notice much difference thanks to vista's memory management :)
The rest is probably fine, though make sure you ask gav :)
Maybe think about the new 8800GTS 512 (not the old versions - 320 and 640)

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: February 20, 2008 10:23AM
No complaints from me on that. As has been said, a decent monitor will be a good upgrade at some point, but other than that, it's a great spec.

What's the PSU though? It's the most important internal component... you don't want some elcheapo random PSU to blow (it will with that system) and take all your new components with it.

Regarding RAM, with Vista I'd go 8gb. Vista's fine with 2gb and even usable with 512mb on 32-bit, but with 8gb I can just imagine how much will be superfetched! Everything's just going to load instantly! Still, I can imagine it'll take a while to superfetch things and learn, so it'll be slower initially.

Overclocking my similar system at the moment, and not having too much luck - stuck around 3GHz at the moment, which is rather disappointing, though I am going for (near) silence over speed.
Date: February 20, 2008 12:47PM