DVD Drive problems 2

Posted by harjinator 
DVD Drive problems 2
Date: February 12, 2008 08:50PM
Posted by: harjinator
Resurrected thread-see below for new issue

Hi all. My CD/DVD rewriter has just packed up (just makes grinding noises whatever disc i put in) and so i'm in the market for a new one...

I'm after a quiet one, for as little money as possible (i realise silence isn't gonna be available, but quiet when watching a DVD is surely not much to ask?!)

I've so far seen a samsung one for around 25 quid, which is supposed to be quiet (on QuietPC.com). anyone else any ideas?

Edit: not a worry if it's SATA or IDE-i have space for either, and also not bothered about lightscribe

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 11:32PM by harjinator.
Re: CD drive dead-reccommendations please?
Date: February 13, 2008 06:21AM
Posted by: gav
Samsung S203 and S203Ds are very popular at the moment. Bought a LG 18x GSA-H66NBAL last week and it seems very quiet in the very limited use it's had so far. No idea how well it writes, but LG are normally solid.
Date: February 13, 2008 11:53AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
my pioneer is nice.

Date: February 13, 2008 12:10PM
Posted by: richardd
DVD-RW drives are all pretty much a muchness nowadays. Not had any trouble with any brand i've ever come across, they just work! :)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:27PM
Optiarc's aren't much of a muchness. They work fine, but man are they loud when reading.
Date: February 13, 2008 12:30PM
Posted by: richardd
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Optiarc's aren't much of a muchness. They work
> fine, but man are they loud when reading.

Opti whooooo?

Evidently i've never had the misfortune of coming across them :D
Date: February 13, 2008 02:04PM
Posted by: NickKK
All the major brands make very decent and close matched drives, some come with Lighscribe and others with advanced CD surface scanning but underneath it all they're very close. My LG (GSA-H12N or something like that) works fine and 4 of my friends have it and it works great for them. As for silence you may consider an external drive that you can stick in a cabinet or something to keep it quiet.

Date: February 13, 2008 02:31PM
richardd Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Optiarc's aren't much of a muchness. They work
> > fine, but man are they loud when reading.
>
>
> Opti whooooo?

NEC company by the looks of it. Whether they're owned by NEC or just collaberating I've no idea and don't care anyway.

richardd Wrote:
> Evidently i've never had the misfortune of coming
> across them :D

They're good drives, they're just not quiet.
Date: February 13, 2008 05:11PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
For the record, AOpen and LG drives seem to cop it more often than not. My house has had 3 in the past 4 years!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 13, 2008 06:45PM
well, just for the records, i saw a random DVD-RW on offer in Maplin, and got it. It is brilliant! so so quiet, and seemingly quick (just reinstalling windows XP at the mo, so can't test v much!) No idea on the brand, but i thought i'd give it a go and take it back if it was rubbish (needed it quickly as i need to install Matlab for uni, which is on a DVD...

thanks for the advice guys-you're all stars as usual

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 06:45PM by harjinator.
Date: February 13, 2008 07:22PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
If memory serves, AOpen and LG drives are made by the same manufacturer. I've taken apart both drives and they are exactly equal, both internally and externally, only the labelling's different. I first noticed with the fascias..... clean white vs light-tainted beige!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: DVD Drive problems 2
Date: March 02, 2008 11:35PM
well my nwe drive has an interesting issue-it won't read FACT copy protected DVDs. Other commercial DVDs are fine, CDs are fine, DVD-Rs are fine, just anything with the FACT logo is completely unrecognised. The drive is an Emprex thing, with latest firmware etc

Any advice?

Have tried using AnyDVD, but to no avail :( DVD isn't even recognised in 'Computer'

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy