Original songs improved when covered [by another band]

Posted by -Mikey- 
Re: Original songs improved when covered [by another band]
Date: October 13, 2007 11:00PM
Posted by: sk83k
Im a fan of Land of Confusion by Disturbed

and some of the Less Than Jake covers of the grease soundtrack are pretty good as well
The Royal British Legion band cover The Klaxons' "Gravity's Rainbow", it's pretty good:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

the original in case you haven't heard it: :

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

(can't find the original music video though, so you'll have to put up with a fan-made one)

it's the only Klaxons song i can stomach, the rest are a bit pish.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

">

The Rolling Stones and AC/DC covering B.B. King's 'Rock Me Baby'. Awesomeness overload.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
i quite liked thrice's cover of eleanor rigby.

Date: November 10, 2007 04:17PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Blunty doing a parody/cover of his own song on Sesame Street:

">

Date: November 20, 2007 04:31PM
Posted by: Vomit
Savatage - Nothing else matters.
I like Jon Oliva more than James Hetfeld

One last kiss for the wicked

Sinisterly
- T. E. Cadaver
Date: November 20, 2007 11:16PM
Posted by: kizz
johnny cash's cover on nine inch nails' hurt, amazingly powerful song

">
Date: November 24, 2007 06:27AM
Posted by: slicer
not really a cover of a song but this should help clear things up after the crap rap and punk rock we just watched.

please fix up if messed up. I am poor in the skillz trying to place a vid in a message.

Rock On!!!
-teh_$L!cerer
Date: November 24, 2007 08:44AM
Posted by: gary42
Can't believe no-one's mentioned Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah

">

I'd also suggest The Doors' Alabama Song

">

And, not technically a cover, but Miles Davies' take on Rodriguez's Concierto de Aranjuez

">

Try to recognize this early 90s hit!

">
Date: November 26, 2007 06:53PM
Posted by: gav
Corona - The Rhythm Of The Night. Atlantic 252 ftw.
Who's the guy who's recently covered Massive Attack's - Teardrop...?

I'm not saying it's an improvement - But I heard it on Radio 1 the other day - Thought it was quite good - I imagine it's not the easiest song to cover...?

Date: November 29, 2007 04:04PM
funnily enough i was gonna suggest that for the thread where the cover artist destroyed the song, not improved it :)

it's Newton Faulkner.

i'm not a huge fan of the Massive Attack original, but the cover is just awful, IMO.

Each to their own I suppose...!

No accounting for taste eh Muks...?! ;-)

Date: November 29, 2007 05:37PM
you're a prime example of that, Taylor ;-)

it's just that i can't stand it when an artist takes someone else's song and just performs it in a slow acoustic way, and turns it into a whiny, dreary whingebag of a song, sucking the life out if it in other words.

I stumbled across this and I think its legend!

Zebrahead cover of Wannabe by the Spice Girls

Date: December 09, 2007 01:44PM
Posted by: Joeku
the devil went down to georgia, heard this version first but i like it alot more with the guitar,
ps: i <3 guitar hero loll

">

________________________________________________________________________________

Date: December 09, 2007 02:35PM
Posted by: Dahie
I liked "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode and I loved "Personal Jesus" by Johnny Cash. Both great thongs, but Cash brought in a certain depths, Depeche Mode was lacking. But actually I can hear both.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Sorry to dig up this old thread. But I found this horror on youtube today. Take That covering Smells Like Teen Spirit. Kurt will be spinning in his grave.

Well if you want bad covers it's easy: Jessica Simpson - Angels, and a lot of people on American Idol covering You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Angels, and the list goes on. One guy was actually decent covering Hallelujah and Over the Rainbow, which brings me to:

Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah (both covers are good, Rufus' is inspired by Jeff's cover which was inspired by a cover done in 92 by some old guy)

IZ - Over the Rainbow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy