Colin McRaes Helicopter has crashed - RIP Colin and Johnny McRae

Posted by DaveEllis 
like there are too many helicopters crashes, there was one at france if im not mistaking where some officials passed away and now....still cant belive it :(....im shocked...trully shocked

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
yeah after the French GP was it some officials from Renault that died?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
I can´t believe it. I heard it yesterday during a F1 program in my house in Argentina. I can´t sleep all the night.

RIP Colin and son

mschumi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> like there are too many helicopters crashes, there
> was one at france if im not mistaking where some
> officials passed away and now....still cant belive
> it :(....im shocked...trully shocked

in 2004 or 2005, i don´t remember when exactly, an Argentinian driver (Nicolás Vuyovich) wons a race in TC2000 (Argentinian stock car championship). After that, he died in a similar accident than the McRae´s...
R I P :(

mschumi Wrote:
> like there are too many helicopters crashes, there
> was one at france if im not mistaking where some
> officials passed away and now....still cant belive
> it :(....im shocked...trully shocked

Starting to be badly OT but its not just about helicopters. Last week in news there was almost everyday something about tecnical problems of multiple SAS planes. Yesterday 88 people did die in plane accident in Thailand.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
[www.planet-f1.com]

Yikes! Dave Richards also in another helicopter accident! Seems he is okay though, fortunately!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
RIP.

I was so shocked when I heard.

Thats both the rally drivers gone now that I followed when I was younger and just a day later David Richards had a scare.
With perhaps the most fitting gesture so far, the Scottish Subaru Impreza Drivers Club formed a parade of Subarus outside of McRae's home in Lanark, Scotland, leaving a makeshift shrine and a note that said, among other sentiments, "May you enjoy going 'flat out' in God's special stage."

Click for larger photo

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
RIP Colin. One of my childhood heroes. Absolute legend. Nothing else to say really

IWE Wrote:
> mschumi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > like there are too many helicopters crashes,
> there
> > was one at france if im not mistaking where
> some
> > officials passed away and now....still cant
> belive
> > it :(....im shocked...trully shocked
>
>
> Starting to be badly OT but its not just about
> helicopters. Last week in news there was almost
> everyday something about tecnical problems of
> multiple SAS planes. Yesterday 88 people did die
> in plane accident in Thailand.

And remember the plane wich fall down in Brazil about 3 or 4 months ago
Frantic Wrote:
> IWE Wrote:
> -----
> > mschumi Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > like there are too many helicopters crashes,
> > there
> > > was one at france if im not mistaking where
> > some
> > > officials passed away and now....still cant
> > belive
> > > it :(....im shocked...trully shocked
> >
> >
> > Starting to be badly OT but its not just about
> > helicopters. Last week in news there was almost
> > everyday something about tecnical problems of
> > multiple SAS planes. Yesterday 88 people did
> die
> > in plane accident in Thailand.
>
> And remember the plane wich fall down in Brazil
> about 3 or 4 months ago

Yep. And few other accidents/disasters.
But I was listing things what did happen inside only 1 week. :(

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
DaveEllis Wrote:
> With perhaps the most fitting gesture so far, the
> Scottish Subaru Impreza Drivers Club formed a
> parade of Subarus outside of McRae's home in
> Lanark, Scotland, leaving a makeshift shrine and a
> note that said, among other sentiments, "May you
> enjoy going 'flat out' in God's special stage."

What a nice tribute.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
wasn't he the fastest rally driver on a formula 1 car!

==============================
No, that was Jim Clark or Stirling Moss....
Seriously though, I think of recent rally drivers to try track racing, he was the fastest and most consistent, and probably the only one that could have succeeded in almost anything he wanted to try.

I dont meen to be rude, but in britain, How highly is he really regarded? i mean was he as great as his name? in australia all ive ever heard about mcrae is that he has a game franchise named after him... even though i never see him on wrc highlight programs. what was he in rally compared to someone in f1, was he a Ayrton Senna, was he a Mika Hakkinen, a Nigel Mansel, or a Alan Jones (also only 1 world championship liek i read colin mcrae had). also what was he compared to richard burns, another gamed name who died recently.
i mean was he as great as his name?

Uh, yes. Anyone who knows anything about Rally knows he is one of the greatest drivers in rally history. You don't judge someone on the amount of championships won (otherwise Gilles Villeneuve and Stirling Moss will be near the bottom of the list of great F1 drivers), you judge them on everything. McRae for example was cost several championships by an unreliable Ford. Later in his career he had several accidents because he was giving 110% at all times. His determination and passion for the sport was unrivalled.

He developed the Colin McRae R4, a low end rally car to help young drivers get into the sport through a cheap car. He was also developing s car nicknamed the Enduro, a low cost car built for Dakar competition.

McRae also increased Rallys popularity. In terms of comparing to other drivers, McRaes death is as important to Rally as Sennas was to F1, or Earnhardts was to NASCAR. Richard Burns is a legend, nobody can deny that, but McRae dwarfs almost any rally driver he can be compared to.

Tributes were paid to McRae in the TV coverage of F1, MotoGP, Rally, NASCAR, and Grand Am the weekend of his death. Series he had nothing to do with, but was still important enough to be talked about in them. Several members of this forum have met him (including me) and can't find a bad word to say about the man.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
he's probably the most famous name in rallying in the UK of the last 10-15 years. he was the first rally driver i was aware of when he won his championship in 1995.

and a lot of people became fans of rallying through playing his games first.

and all the hard boys who drive their souped up Imprezas up and down the UK probably were introduced to Imprezas because Colin won his championship driving one.

he's very much respected and regarded as talented because to win a rallying world championship means you have the natural talent, not anyone or everyone can do what those guys do.

i'm no rally expert or particularly interested in it, but i was introduced to rallying in the mid-to-late-90's because of him and have played his games on consoles, and i also have 2 of his Focus rally car models, because i love the style and look of the cars.

i think the popularity of rallying in the UK has a lot to do with him, which was then continued by Richard Burns who was taken away in his prime.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 06:49PM by Muks_C.
McRae also raced Le Mans, the Paris Dakar, and tested a Formula 1 car (1996, Jordan, done very well too).

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Still, he didn't win as many BRC titles as his old man.... ;)

Seriously though, the guy did hold the record for most WRC wins at one point, and is still 4th on the most rallies won list. 4th youngest WRC rally winner, youngest ever WRC champion. 8th most stage wins, 7th most points. And most of his career spent in what was, as Dave points out, an unreliable Ford.

However, it was for his attitude to rallying that was most impressive. He was like Gilles Villeneuve, arguably the most naturally gifted driver of his generation, and definitely the most flamboyant. He only cared about winning - second place was nothing to him, and he had many offs whilst pushing a car further than it could go to try and win. He was also competitive on both asphalt and gravel - something very few drivers have managed. He may not have had the consistency of a Gronholm, Loeb or Makkinen, but on his day none of them could live with him.

And he was competitive straight out on the Paris-Dakar and at Le Mans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy