VT Racing - OATAS 10 hrs Watkins Glen Championship Decider

Posted by Glyn 
VT Racing - OATAS 10 hrs Watkins Glen Championship Decider
Date: September 15, 2007 11:45AM
Posted by: Glyn
In a season of "what the hell is happening next?" where the championship looked safe in the hands of SSCA until things took a turn for the worse, and then OATAS took over for the remaining races, we now go down to the wire for the championship decider. VT Racing Vs OATAS, and 10 hours of Watkins Glen to decide everything.

We’re not quite sure what will happen after this race, so it could be VT Racing’s final fling, but let’s hope not. We’ve not done it for a while, but for this race we’ll be broadcasting the pit radio from 5pm UK time right up until after 3am UK time when the race finishes :o If last night has anything to go by it’ll be rather random, and maybe a touch silly :P Goto -> [racing.vadertrophy.com] to listen to the broadcast (you may need to hit the play button when the page has loaded).

Wish us luck!!

have fun guys, and good luck. i know you can whoop oatas :)

Best of luck guys.:)

Re: VT Racing - OATAS 10 hrs Watkins Glen Championship Decider
Date: September 15, 2007 04:23PM
Posted by: gav
Just for the record I may well be dead by the end of the day... if I post between 5pm and 3am either my car has failed or I have.
i expect a post from gav soon ;)

good luck guys :)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
We whooped them, alright. We totally PWNED them by sweeping the top-4 :D

FORZA VTR!

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Date: September 16, 2007 04:29AM
NeilPearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i expect a post from gav soon ;)

10hrs 13min later, and here I am. :D
Date: September 16, 2007 04:29AM
and Gav is officially not human (rumors are true ;)) as he drove the entire 10 hours by himself :-o

And a note for Ian to who went on a mega charge at the end to get 4th :D

wow nice!

Congrats guys.

and congrats Gav. thats a truly amazing effort.

congrats guys!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Awesome effort guys and well done to Gav (fuelled by Red Bull?)

Date: September 16, 2007 04:25PM
cynic Wrote:
> (fuelled by Red Bull?)
Of course. And Twixes.
gav Wrote:
> cynic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > (fuelled by Red Bull?)
> Of course. And Twixes.

The combination tasting like baby sick, according to gav...

8)

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Well done :D
Excellent job guys! Mighty impressive by Gav! 10 hours? Can you feel your hands yet? ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: September 17, 2007 03:25PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Mighty impressive by Gav! 10 hours? Can you feel your hands yet? ;)

Hands were fine to be honest. It wasn't unbearable by any means. At every single pit-stop (~15 seconds) I stood up and shook all my limbs madly. I was doing exercises down the main straight, continually sitting up straight and stretching my back, shrugging my shoulders up and down and loosening up my arms and bit and making sure I always had the blood getting to my fingers, but they were fine. In the last couple of hours my right knee started to ache a little, so going down the straight I was pushing it further along the throttle pedal, just making it stretch a bit, but that, other than my ears hurting from the headphones, was only pain I suffered.

Made sure I turned my room's light on quite quickly when it started getting even a little dark so as not to stress my eyes. Put in a lot of effort to keep my head fresh, as I knew before the race that general tiredness and a lack of concentration would be what stopped me rather than physical pain. Had a fan sat ready which I didn't want to use until I needed it, which was a very pleasant relief over the final couple of hours, again just to keep me fresh.

I had a stock of 6 Red Bulls and about 10 Twixes, unwrapping a Twix at every pitstop. The Red Bulls I could open down the straight. I was bursting for a piss before the race, not daring to go until right after qualifying (in case he skipped the 15min warm up).

I only had 3 spins in those 10 hours (382 laps). 1 on turn 1 of lap 1 (oops... I just caught the grass on turn in, and around I went), another spin just glancing the wall on the exit of the final corner, and one in the Boot (we were running the full Watkins Glen circuit) when I grabbed 4th gear rather than 2nd (I use a stick shifter in GTP). Pace was good throughout the race too, a full 1.5 seconds faster than the next Mazda and still good enough for a 4th place finish if all the cars had finished (as it was I got 3rd when the OATAS #19 retired). That surprised - I expected my pace to increase through the first 1/3 of the race, and then tail off over the final 2/3s, but it was pretty constant all the way through.

Sunday wasn't as much fun though. I got to sleep around 5am, quite quickly, but woke at 9am-ish with the sound of Neil (Glyn) saying "Jan, hows the car?" going round and round in my head for some reason. I'd only had 4hrs sleep, so my body was tired, but my head was still full of stimulant. It was really surreal. When I eventually got up (~10am) it almost felt like I'd been drinking heavily the night before and not had any water before I fell asleep, kinda like a hangover, but not quite. But it lasted all day. Had a sore-throat too, which I can't put my finger on.

It's not an experience I would recommend, but I wanted to prove to myself I could do it, as it might well be the final endurance race we do. Rich came up with a cover-plan in the strategy, where he had 2 opportunities to take my car over for 45mins during the race, but each time he asked if I wanted relieved I refused.

Glad I made it, but I'm still a bit tired from a lack of sleep now, even after 10hrs sleep last night.
Date: September 17, 2007 08:24PM
gav Wrote:
> At every single pit-stop (~15
> seconds) I stood up and shook all my limbs madly.

...it was only at the next pit stop the blubber had stopped shaking too ;)

amazing stuff!

"but each time he asked if I wanted relieved I refused."

there's a joke there about what answer you'd have given if it was your wife/gf that asked you, but i won't go there :)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy