DVD Ripper

Posted by torana_05 
DVD Ripper
Date: May 12, 2007 06:08AM
Posted by: torana_05
gday i got the new triple j dvd and want to put the filmclips speartely on to my hard drive to play in windows media player or quicktime. whats the best freeware dvd ripper?
cheers

Re: DVD Ripper
Date: May 12, 2007 08:14AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
Firstly - I'm fairly sure that's against the license agreement on the DVD, and thus we can't help you here.

Secondly - Quicktime? WTF? Uninstall it now and I may just help you live.

Thirdly - try putting 'DVD' 'AVI' and 'conversion' into Google and see what happens.
Date: May 12, 2007 09:19AM
Posted by: gav
Bernie The Bolt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firstly - I'm fairly sure that's against the
> license agreement on the DVD, and thus we can't
> help you here.

I'm not sure whether ripping comes under this, but it depends on the country you're in. I think, off the top of my head, you're allowed to make a single copy of a DVD or CD for your personal use only in the US, but not in the UK - I think that's the right way around. I've no idea about other countries.

Like I said, whether ripping to an AVI comes under making a copy or not is open to debate.

Anyway, it's not like we're breaking these rules most of the times we post clips from Youtube or whatever, so I'll give some very basic directions and leave it at your discretion whether or not you want to follow them.

Get DVDShrink. Get DivX. Get Dr DivX OSS. If Dr DivX can't split the files sufficiently (I haven't used it for about 4 years) then grab VirtualDub too, and use the Direct Stream Copy function for both audio and video.
Date: May 12, 2007 03:48PM
Posted by: Covfan
Yeah it's illegal to use programs such as DVD DECRYPTOR to rip DVD's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 03:48PM by Covfan.
Date: May 13, 2007 03:32AM
Posted by: torana_05
i didnt know that was illegal i thought u could do that as long as you dont make money because i dont think its illegal to do it with music cds?, dunno.

Covfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah it's illegal to use programs such as DVD
> DECRYPTOR to rip DVD's.

subtle hint?

Date: May 13, 2007 07:35AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
Currently, Australian copyright law does not, at any stretch of the imagination, provide a clear 'Do's and Don'ts' with regards to digital media. Unlike the United States we don't have a "Fair Use" provision that allows them to copy bought CDs for use in their car, make MP3s to put on iPods and the like.

Up until the middle of last year, it was still, stricly speaking, illegal to video record shows off the TV to watch later.

>>i didnt know that was illegal i thought u could do that as long as you dont make money because i dont think its illegal to do it with music cds?, dunno.

It's still illegal. There was a proposal last year to allow you to make 1 backup copy of your media (IE: Copy a CD to your PC was OK, copying then to your iPod was illegal), but I am unaware of how that's progressing through the parliament.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy