Increase the size of the image in photoshop

Posted by gp3 
Increase the size of the image in photoshop
Date: January 20, 2007 03:18AM
Posted by: gp3
how do you increase the size of the image in Adobe photoshop without losing the picture quality?
And what is vector graphics?Can it be found in photoshop??

SG
Re: Increase the size of the image in photoshop
Date: January 20, 2007 05:24AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
your going to lose picture quality no matter what if you increase the size.

Date: January 20, 2007 05:53AM
Posted by: gp3
yes i know that i am going to lose quality, but how can i improve the quality after increasing the size of the image?

SG
Date: January 20, 2007 06:54AM
Posted by: mortal
You can't make something out of nothing. More pixels are needed to increase the size, so the software compensates by chucking them in where it thinks they belong. No other way of doing it. Vector graphics are used by Corel paint and draw program, you need a university degree just to open the box ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 20, 2007 08:34AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
depending on what your doing, if its a picture your stuffed, if it is say a Logo or something, what i would do is resize the image to what you want, or even bigger, (bigger the better, you can resize it smaller and it dosent lose the quality like you do when you make them bigger) then create a layer and redraw the logo on the new layer using the old one as a base.

Date: January 20, 2007 11:59AM
Posted by: gav
I had a plugin for Photoshop that was supposedly quite good at guessing pixels when resizing an image. Genuine Fractals I believe it was. Personally, I never used it enough to see much difference over the standard resize built into Photoshop, but an evening tutor at work swore by it.

As has already been said, you can't get something out of nothing, but there are plugins that try a little more aggressively than the default tool.
Date: January 20, 2007 03:34PM
Posted by: NickKK
Actually enalrging images with minimum quality loss is not as easy as most think, everyone knows the 10% step rule, that is increase your image in 10% increments using bicubic interpolation, other things that help are good noise removal once in a while as the interpolation introduces weird artefacts from adjascent pixels, so you need to deal with luminence noise, a gaussian blur overlay can also work fairly well, don't sharpen or play around with contrast until the very end. If you need to change saturation and don't happen to have 16Gb of RAM you have to do it early on. There's a lot more to it, but these are the basics things I did to make a 120x80cm (that's one square metre!) poster from a RAW file from a Nikon 8700 and it looks very impressive indeed :)

Date: January 20, 2007 03:42PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
For the record, if you enlarge vector graphics, you don't lose quality as vector images are based on instructions and not pixels.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 20, 2007 04:53PM
Posted by: Glyn
Clearly Nick knows what he's doing :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy