Graphics Card problem

Posted by Bernie The Bolt 
Graphics Card problem
Date: January 15, 2007 02:37AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
My ATI x700 has lost it's onboard fan (not the whole heatsink, I think the fan has broken out of it's mounting..), and as usual the things out of warrenty and it's going to cost to get it fixed.

Anyway, does anyone a)know a possible way to fix it ( I can provide some photos later on if that would help), or b) reccommened anything as a possible replacement. If I have to replace (ultimate last resort, but I really need to have it working for school) it, I've got a target of around $AU250 which can get me an ATI x1650Pro 512Mb (Is that any good?). Not really fussed on brand, but I'd prefer 512Mb memory over 256.

If anyone's got any advice, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not really looking forward to having to fork out for a new card, or drop back to one screen running on the on-board graphics chip.

TIA,
Bernie
Re: Graphics Card problem
Date: January 15, 2007 09:55AM
Posted by: gav
This isn't going to help much in Australia, but something like this with universal fittings ought to work [www.scan.co.uk].

I'd imagine the Zalman would do the same ([www.scan.co.uk]), but you're starting to get into the money where it's not really worth it anymore, and you'd be better off getting a new card. Have a look around on ebay - in the UK at the moment you can get ATi 800XTs for £35-50 which is great value. Even 2nd hand it would be a better buy than replacing the fan on the X700 IMO.

The X1650 Pros are OK, but the 800XTs are still much better value. Have a look here for some comparisons using different games [www.tomshardware.co.uk]. Use the drop down boxes at the top to change models if you wish. :)

As for 256mb over 512mb - don't bother unless you get a higher end card than the 1650 Pro - the 800XT should be the minimum you should consider going 512mb - anything else and the card simply doesn't have anything close to the power to use 256smbs worth of textures let alone 512mb and is just a waste of money. :)

Final note - ignore like the plague the words HyperMemory (ATi) and TurboCache (nVIDA) - they're systems on video cards than can enable them to pinch system RAM if they see the need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2007 09:57AM by gav.
Date: January 15, 2007 08:55PM
Thanks Gav.
Date: January 15, 2007 09:54PM
Posted by: NickKK
Just buy a vga silencer, they cost less than 15 quid in the UK last time I looked and mine works pretty well, though a bit noisy in the high mode, but my pc is silent otherwise so can't blame it much.

Date: January 16, 2007 12:19AM
Anyone know how good ATi are at replacing cards that are only just out of warrenty? Or does it depend on which type of card it is...?
Date: January 16, 2007 09:43AM
Posted by: gav
ATi won't deal with the warranty, it'll be whoever's model it is (Sapphire, ASUS, PowerColor etc).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy