Saddam Hussein Executed

Posted by LS. 
Saddam Hussein Executed
Date: December 30, 2006 02:04PM
Posted by: LS.
Pictures have been released of the final moments of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, who has been hanged for crimes against humanity. [static.sky.com]

His execution took place around 6am local time (3am GMT).

A video released a few hours later showed documents being checked before showing Saddam being led to the gallows by men wearing balaclavas.

The camera is then lowered to show a noose and a small trap door in the floor surrounded by red railings.

Saddam is shown silently looking down at the floor before he says a few words and steps forward to have the noose placed around his neck.

No further footage of the execution was broadcast, though low-quality pictures did emerge later of Saddam's body wrapped in a white shroud.

Following his death, state-run Iraqiya television said: "Criminal Saddam was hanged to death", and played patriotic music, while showing images of national monuments and other landmarks.

The station also reported that Saddam's half-brother Barzan al Tikriti and Awad al Bander, the former chief justice of the Revolutionary Court, were hanged.

However, officials said that only Saddam was hanged and the other two would be executed after this weekend's Islamic religious holiday.

Pictures of Saddam's body were broadcast Saddam's death sentence was carried out in northern Baghdad following hours of confusion over whether he was to be executed or not.

US President George Bush called the execution an "important milestone" for Iraq.

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said Saddam had been held to account for some of his crimes.

She added: "The British Government does not support the use of the death penalty, in Iraq or anywhere else. We advocate an end to the death penalty worldwide, regardless of the individual or the crime.

"We have made our position very clear to the Iraqi authorities, but we respect their decision as that of a sovereign nation."

Saddam was sentenced to death by an Iraqi court on November 5 after a trial lasting more than a year.

He was found guilty of ordering the murder of 148 people in the village of Dujail following a failed assassination attempt against him in 1982.

The Iraqi government had made it clear it wanted the sentence carried out as quickly as possible, even though Saddam faced a series of other charges.

Saddam was captured in December 2003, nine months after a US-led coalition invaded Iraq.

His lawyers made a last-ditch legal bid in Washington DC to prevent him being handed over to Iraqi authorities for execution. However, the judge turned down the request.

Saddam's daughter Raghd, in Jordan, "is asking that his body be buried in Yemen temporarily until Iraq is liberated and it can be reburied in Iraq."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Saddam Hussein Executed
Date: December 30, 2006 02:27PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
that's not the way to get ahead in life.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: December 30, 2006 02:48PM
Posted by: anze89
that's not the way to get ahead in life.

I agree

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 02:49PM by anze89.
Date: December 30, 2006 02:55PM
Posted by: matt3454
Was that a joke?

Date: December 30, 2006 03:22PM
Posted by: Nickv
I hadn't expected Saddam to be executed that fast. But it's good for the Iraqi people, though I don't really agree with the death penalty.
Date: December 30, 2006 03:23PM
Posted by: Covfan
matt3454 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was that a joke?

If it was, heads will roll.
Date: December 30, 2006 03:26PM
Posted by: anze89
Nickv Wrote:
> But it's good for the Iraqi people...

Is it? I expect that Saddam supporters will attack their 'enemies', so it will get even worse than already is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 03:27PM by anze89.
Date: December 30, 2006 03:30PM
anze89 schreef:
> Nickv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But it's good for the Iraqi people...
>
> Is it? I expect that Saddam supporters will attack
> their 'enemies', so it will get even worse than
> already is.

Yes they will. But that's only a small amount of people. For the Iraqi people as total, it's better.
Date: December 30, 2006 03:42PM
Posted by: Muks_C
bloody hell, didn't know it would happen now! thought it would be in a few months or so.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 30, 2006 03:43PM
No, there is a law the criminal should be executed within 30 days.
Date: December 30, 2006 03:46PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Kije Nick said, Irai law dictates that execution must occur within 30 days of the sentencing, and since the trial was through the Irqi justice system, they did it today.

I for one am glad, I'm not usually in favour of capital punishment, but in this case I'm totally behind the decision. Good riddance

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 30, 2006 03:48PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Covfan Wrote:
> matt3454 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Was that a joke?
>
>
> If it was, heads will roll.

ROFLMAO

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: December 30, 2006 05:11PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
i heard on the radio that he believes he will die a martyr.

can anyone explain to me how he can even think this? cos i see no way of this happening.

Date: December 30, 2006 05:12PM
Posted by: danm
HakkF1 is a muslim I believe - I don't intend this to be a joke, but perhaps he could give us an idea or explanation.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: December 30, 2006 05:14PM
Just for the history books :P 'His last words were 'I died a martyr'' :P
Date: December 30, 2006 06:59PM
i read he shouted "God is great" as his last words. he (God) can't be that great if he's about to have his neck broken...

Date: December 30, 2006 07:05PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
good hes dead now.

Date: December 30, 2006 07:06PM
Posted by: Morbid
NeilPearson Wrote:
> i heard on the radio that he believes he will die
> a martyr.
>
> can anyone explain to me how he can even think
> this? cos i see no way of this happening.

Saddam was not a muslim, and if he was, he was terribly ignorant about it. Look at the verses of the Qu'ran he added to the Iraqi flag in blood. That is sure-fire taboo, and brought reactions of shock and disgust. He played on Islamic themes and mentalities, but mostly the sympathy had did hold in the Middle East was due to being arabic.

As to the death penalty, I don't support capital punishment, and I think that doing the exact thing to Saddam, that he was condemned for is contradictory in every way. I totally understand why they feel the need to kill him, although I would have prefered a life sentence instead.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 30, 2006 09:51PM
same here Morbid, letting him live many years in jail and suffer is better as a punishment than killing him in a few seconds.

killing him makes him a martyr in the eyes of his supporters, whatever religion he was.

Date: December 31, 2006 01:14AM
Posted by: IL Dottore
Nickv Wrote:
> I hadn't expected Saddam to be executed that fast.
> But it's good for the Iraqi people, though I don't
> really agree with the death penalty.[i/]

They way of executing him, or execute him at all ??

Magic Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2006 01:15AM by IL Dottore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy