Great News for my Rugby Team

Posted by Wirah 
Great News for my Rugby Team
Date: December 13, 2006 10:53PM
Posted by: Wirah
We should be guaranteed a result on Sunday against Ipswich, they are short on hookers!

wheyyy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2006 10:58PM by Wirah.
Re: Great News for my Rugby Team
Date: December 13, 2006 11:10PM
Posted by: Muks_C
if there was a smiley for slapping my forehead in a d'oh-style, i'd use it now.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 13, 2006 11:29PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Nope.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 13, 2006 11:33PM
Posted by: gav
That was both bad and almost as distasteful as you can get.

Congratulations, you've sunk to Sheepy's level.
Date: December 14, 2006 01:17AM
Posted by: Covfan
Did you borrow that from Oliver Stone's 'book of inappropriate remarks'?
Date: December 14, 2006 06:38AM
Posted by: Morbid
You mean like this ?

Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if there was a smiley for slapping my forehead in
> a d'oh-style, i'd use it now.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 14, 2006 01:20PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That's real distasteful man. Almost as bad as the pollonium-210 jokes that careened their way to comedy clubs after Litvinienko's death.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 14, 2006 02:54PM
@ Morbid, yes i do, cheers :)

the press are having a field day with this story, they just couldn't wait for more bodies to be found so they could start using the "Mass Murderer" and "Serial Killer" phrases.

Date: December 14, 2006 03:07PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think I should be glad I don't get it.
Date: December 14, 2006 03:08PM
No, I think you're wrong.

If the press really wanted to have a field day with it, I think they'd be comparing it to Jack The Ripper or something. The reputable papers and news agencies are just reporting on what's happened. I can't speak for what the red tops are reporting, or ITV news, because I don't look at either, but the proper papers sure aren't going overboard imo.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 14, 2006 07:00PM
i went to hospital yesterday cos my mum had an appointment, and saw someone reading a red-top, the headline was something like: "Ripper: police find 5 naked bodies", so yes, the tabloids are using "Ripper".

@ Nickv, in a town in England called Ipswich, 5 prostitutes have been murdered in the past few days.

a slang name for them is "hooker", so Wirah made a joke about Ipswich being easy to beat because they are short of hookers, as a "hooker" is also a position in the game of rugby.

Date: December 14, 2006 07:25PM
Posted by: Nickv
Oh, that's the thing. I heard something about that on the news, but at the time there were only two killed and that's about two or three days ago...
Date: December 14, 2006 07:35PM
Fair enough muks, I don't go near the red top tat!

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: December 14, 2006 11:01PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Scary thing is, I'm going back to Suffolk in a couple days, and one of my flatmates lives near Framlingham, which is pretty close to Ipswich. She's s**t scared. Though (in a sorta good way) the b****rd is centralising his victims in Ipswich Town Centre, and she's outta town.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 14, 2006 11:18PM
Posted by: gav
I'm guessing she's also not a "working girl"...

I too am finding the media serialisation annoying. You'd expect it of the tabloid press, but every BBC interview I've seen has been of them trying to push an officer into admitting it's a massacre.
Date: December 14, 2006 11:30PM
@ Turkey, it looks like the attacks are just on ladies of the night, so unless your friend is one, then she should be ok.

on Radio 2 the other day on the Jeremy Vine debate, some callers said it was wrong that they were being referred to as prostitutes in the press, that they should just be referred to as "women".

but the point is that they are prostitutes, so the attacks are on a specific tiny proportion of women in Ipswich, so of course they should make it clear who is being murdered, and make it clear that every woman in Ipswich is not under threat (although should be vigilant nevertheless).

Date: December 15, 2006 03:44AM
The problem is that serial killers can develop, and as this person becomes more confident he/she will try more audacious murders. This could mean that non-prostitutes are targeted by him/her.
Date: December 15, 2006 02:41PM
true, but the media shouldn't be censored from referring to them as prostitutes, when so far, only prostitutes have been murdered, should they?

if 5 male doctors had been murdered, we wouldn't want the media to just say "5 men have been murdered", it would make sense for them to refer to the specific profession of the victims, because it's obvious that they are the ones being targetted (so far).

Date: December 15, 2006 03:04PM
Doesn't stop them being women though, so "5 women have been murdered" is correct also.
Date: December 15, 2006 03:33PM
Posted by: Morbid
The discussion is not if the label "women" is correct or not, but whether or not there is a point in using the term prostitute. Since a general warning has been issued, especially to prostitutes, there is a very valid point.

Being a prositute isn't a profession that is particulary full of honour and glory, granted, but refraining from letting the general public know what is going on, and thus vastly increasing the group of people that are gonna be extra wary or even scared, or letting someone even get killed because of some skewed feminist idea that women cannot be called prostitutes in public, is just @#$%& up.

If it was male convicts that was singled out (which is probably similarly in scope and breadth of its labelling and stigma), no one would even bother discussing the issue.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2006 03:34PM by Morbid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy