help buying a new new monitor...

Posted by ralv585 
Re: help buying a new new monitor...
Date: May 25, 2008 10:54PM
Posted by: ralv585
Cheers mate, so what i was thinking was that with dual screen, i could drag the tv feed, (i.e minimize the window) on to the second monitor and still mess about with normal pc stuff on the new monitor, but it looks like i can't do that

i ordered the monitor a couple of week ago from scan, slightly more expensive, but they are my retailer of choice, but they don't have it in stock. In fact no one has, i do really hope to get it before MGS4 comes out.

Regarding the card, i've got an 8800gt, i do not expect to play games dual screen, but it would be nice to try :)

@paco, the monitor i've currently got is very nice, its the samsung 2232bw, 22inch and 1680x1050, you can get it cheaper now, so that's one i would definitely recomend

Date: May 26, 2008 10:47AM
Posted by: gav
Paco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks :)
>
> Anyone else? Gav maybe? I'd like to know what you
> can say about these, you've recommended Dell
> monitors in the past, is any of these worth it?

Worth it? Oh yeah, but I wouldn't recommend any 22" screen (as far as I know they're all TN panels, and TN=bad). Either go with the 2009W or move up to the 2408WFP. The Dell E monitors are all value models, so ignore them too.

Keep in mind that 20" and 22" widescreen monitors all have the same resolution (1680x1050), so a good 20" is much better value than a cheapish (TN ;-)) 22".

To consider if you move up to 24" panels:

Regarding the 2408WFP, I've got one (upgraded from the 2405FPW) and while it's very, very good, it's not without issues. It has a lot more input lag (double over most LCDs - check out Youtube for some examples of what input lag is), which isn't a big issue 99% of the time, and some are still suffering from backlight bleed that blighted the 2005 series and 2407WFP-HCs. Not a concern of mine, as I only ever see it when turned on and with a fully black screen. To be honest, I don't notice it until I look for it. Not ideal though.

Best 24" out there at the moment by quite a distance is the BenQ FP241W - it's just missing DisplayPort and 1 DVI socket over the 2408WFP (which has 2 DVI ports). I'd get the FP241W if you only need 1xDVI, 1xHDMI, 1xVGA and/or 1xS-Video.
Date: May 26, 2008 01:20PM
Posted by: Willb
I brough a Samsunc SyncMaster 206BW last august, and its been amazing :) got it from john lewis, bit more than from the online retailers but i know i wouldnt have any issues if it were faulty. (Incidently the first panel i had developed aa pink 1px wide band from top to bottom on the 2nd day of owning it, but it was replaced there and then without a quibble and this ones been brilliant since.
I believe it also won the "Premium grade" award in Custom PC :)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: July 29, 2008 02:31PM
Posted by: fongu
I'm looking to get a new monitor, about 24" or bigger, but I'm kind of drawn to the idea of getting a HD TV and using that as a monitor (which is bigger then!) I've read that you've gotta be careful getting the right TV, at least 1020p and all that... so I'm a bit hesitant to go that route, because I want something flexible that will last at least 5 years.

Getting a HDTV would probably save me getting a TV Tuner box thing so I can hook up the VCR (yes i know its old!) and consoles up to it, whilst using it primarily as a monitor for the PC.

So what do you guys think, HDTV or monitor is the way to go?

Date: July 29, 2008 02:55PM
Posted by: gav
Don't get a TV as a monitor. They work, but are fairly hopeless. Monitors work much better as TVs than the other way around. Any 24" screen with the standard resolution of 1920x1200 or greater can show any HD content - the half-decent ones directly through HDMI.

VCRs can be hooked up to most good monitors through S-Video, composite or component.

My 2408WFP has all the above.

- Two DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue (VGA) Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- One HDMI Input
- One DisplayPort Input
Date: July 30, 2008 03:47AM
Posted by: Paco
I never thanked you for your answer Gav, so thanks for that, I finally ordered the 2009W, should be with me in a few weeks :)

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 30, 2008 09:47AM
Posted by: fongu
yeah that's helpful thanks :)

Looks like a real nice monitor, I think I might go for it, as its getting within my price bracket now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2008 10:31AM by fongu.
Date: August 03, 2008 02:47PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
I have my 1080p tv setup as a 2nd monitor just so i can lay in bed and watch errrr movies.... Its no where near as good as my 24inch dell, but good enough ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy