The time is now! [maybe not quite now]

Posted by madotteя 
The time is now! [maybe not quite now]
Date: December 01, 2006 11:46PM
Posted by: madotteя
OK, I've been putting money away for the last year or so ready to get a new PC. I was going to wait until January but seeing as my old PC went bang (for the last time, beyond repair) I will be ordering within the next few hours. Heres the system I have put together:

I was going for the E6600 but countless reviews give the awards and best buy to the E6700. The price difference is quite hefty, £150 between the two. Both are Conroe with 4MB L2 Cache but the 6600 is 2.4GHz and the 6700 is 2.66GHz. What would the PC people here recommend? Any other things I should look at before I order or does the rest seem OK? I have gone for the 8800 card as it says its DX10/WGF compatible,

Many Thanks for all relevent advice
Iain

EDIT// I'm not getting the mouse or keyboard now, got a good one from Work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:12AM by madotteя.
Re: The time is now!
Date: December 02, 2006 12:02AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
In all honesty, we are on the verge of a major new operating system, thus are heading into a new DirectX version which means big changes in the world of graphics card manufacturers and we also on the verge of pretty soon going to fully working quad-cores (not just two glued together as it were) and 65nm to 45nm CPUs (not quite as fast coming as Quad-cores but close enough), both of which are no small steps.

Also, the component that goes out of date the quickest is easily a graphics card; I just find it utterly ludicrous, especially the timing of this, to spend close to half a grand on one. With new territory comes the unknown and because the 8800 series (which will very soon be followed by more series once Vista is out in January) is the first ever DX10 capable card on the market, it by no means will make the most out of the new dependencies available to it.

In my honest opinion, wait. But its completely upto you.

Date: December 02, 2006 12:07AM
I'm currently on my dads very old and slow PC but it works "fine" for the internet so i'll be OK for now. So you're saying wait for the new graphics cards (in Feb after Vista) and for the new "real" quadcore CPUs? Anything else I need to watch or are these just the parts that matter right now?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 11:32AM by madotteя.
Date: December 02, 2006 01:05AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I have to say the 8800 hits the sweet spot for DX9 and DX10 games, so ATI will have to pull something rather special next time. As for quadcore: if you don't do video encoding, stick with Core 2 Duo. Most games are only 2 thread optimised at the moment, so hold out for quadcore for a year or so if you can.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: The time is now! [maybe not quite now]
Date: December 02, 2006 01:23AM
Posted by: gav
Frankly, you're mental.

You're about to buy a motherboard that's totally untested on a platform absolutely ridden with bugs, and a graphics card with no opposition until 2007 (which will better it on DX9 form). We've absolutely no idea how well the 8800GTX will perform in Vista (and therefore DX10), and currently drivers are simply atrocious. You're going for a CPU that is no better than the model beneath it, but in fairness it does cost 150OddMatters more.

As major upgrades go, your timing couldn't be any worse.

If you've any sense in the slightest, and aren't simply after an epenis, you'd wait until at least Q2 2007.

As for what Turkey says above, nothing is optimised for dual-core. It's all about multi-cores. If you apps can support 2 cores, they can support 16 - there'll be some poor exceptions (/me looks in Symantec's direction), but that's the way it is and will be.
Date: December 02, 2006 02:21AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Definately bad timing. But if you can afford it you wont need to upgrade for a long time. I dont think we will be seeing any DX10 only games for awhile.
Date: December 02, 2006 02:21AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I wasnt quite as forthcoming as Gav but, yeah, I agree 100% :P

Date: December 02, 2006 11:29AM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frankly, you're mental.
>
> You're about to buy a motherboard that's totally
> untested on a platform absolutely ridden with
> bugs, and a graphics card with no opposition until
> 2007 (which will better it on DX9 form). We've
> absolutely no idea how well the 8800GTX will
> perform in Vista (and therefore DX10), and
> currently drivers are simply atrocious. You're
> going for a CPU that is no better than the model
> beneath it, but in fairness it does cost
> 150OddMatters more.
>
> As major upgrades go, your timing couldn't be any
> worse.
>
> If you've any sense in the slightest, and aren't
> simply after an epenis, you'd wait until at least
> Q2 2007.
>
> As for what Turkey says above, nothing is
> optimised for dual-core. It's all about
> multi-cores. If you apps can support 2 cores, they
> can support 16 - there'll be some poor exceptions
> (/me looks in Symantec's direction), but that's
> the way it is and will be.

OK, for one I don't know what crawled up you arse and died but just back the @#$%& up. This is why I ask you about this. I have read MANY reviews and all say the 6700 is the best value cpu out there. IF YOU READ, i asked if its worth the extra 150. The answer is obviously no. That's all you had to put. Again, as stated above, I went for the 8800GTX as it was dx10 "supported" but AGAIN, I don't know much about it so i post here to find out. What the @#$%& is wrong with your attitude!? Simple questions need simple answers, not some jumped up little twat trying to be a smartass. epenis!? I dont care what system I have as long as it works and doesnt need upgrading anytime soon, If i spend 50 million "oddmatters" on a system its my business (not that it matters but over the last year or so I have just under £2k put away) I need a new pc soon. I am on a 500mhz system that can barely handle the internet, it keeps cutting off. what do YOU recommend I go for, part wise.
Date: December 02, 2006 11:59AM
:D

OK, saying as you've apparently done your research (and then come to a gaming forum centred around an arcaic sim for confirmation of it, rather than a dedicated hardware forum...), why are you getting the Striker? Have you just picked out the most expensive, or is there a specific reason for getting it?

Unless you're intending to go SLi (totally pointless, and currently unsupported in Vista), then get an P5B Deluxe and a 6600. All it needs to get to 6700 speeds is a very, very minor tweak in the BIOS. Even then it'll soar past the 3.0GHz mark without blinking. Of course, the 6700 would also do that (as would the 6300), but they'll all cut off at a similar point (probably around 3.4-3.6GHz on half decent air cooling).

I'm all for getting an 8800GTX - by all accounts they're great compared - but ATi haven't answered nV yet, and in the recent past ATi have outdone nV with all but the 1800XT.

In short, unless you've no problem paying a similar fee in 12 months time, wait until Vista has at the very least gone public (currently slated for Jan 30th), and ATi has countered nV (worst case, nV have a product refresh scheduled for the same time just incase the ATi is awesome).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:00PM by gav.
Date: December 02, 2006 12:06PM
Posted by: Morbid
I've been making my own computers for over 10 years now, and on average, I have upgraded every 12-18 months. I used to get all sorts of extra whistles and bells for later "expansion" options, but I never used close to a 1/4 of them. The talk has always been about getting a rig that could handle "tomorrow", especially if you are getting a gaming rig.

IMHO, that is a truckload of bull. You can't do that! There is always a "new standard" or "new OS" on the horizon. The pace of development on the market is just too fast, and the guy that waits for the best rig, never gets one. Ever heard of Moores Law? Moore's Law is the empirical observation made in 1965 that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit for minimum component cost doubles every 24 months.

Translated into common english, every two years, your memory, CPU, GPU and storage mediums will be a pile of @#$%&. The best you can do, is buy good quality and enjoy it while it lasts. If you are willing to pay for cutting edge to extend the life of your rig by some 6 months, that is your choice.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:08PM by Morbid.
Date: December 02, 2006 12:12PM
OK, thanks to both of you :) I have managed to borrow another PC which runs the internet and all programs fine. I'll never see a game on this but I can use it for as long as I need. I think i'll take the advice and wait a couple of months after Vista is out to see the new components.

Cheers
Iain
Date: December 02, 2006 12:17PM
Posted by: skel
gav Wrote:
> Frankly, you're mental.
>
> You're about to buy a motherboard that's totally
> untested on a platform absolutely ridden with
> bugs, and a graphics card with no opposition until
> 2007 (which will better it on DX9 form). We've
> absolutely no idea how well the 8800GTX will
> perform in Vista (and therefore DX10), and
> currently drivers are simply atrocious. You're
> going for a CPU that is no better than the model
> beneath it, but in fairness it does cost
> 150OddMatters more.
>
> As major upgrades go, your timing couldn't be any
> worse.
>
> If you've any sense in the slightest, and aren't
> simply after an epenis, you'd wait until at least
> Q2 2007.
>
> As for what Turkey says above, nothing is
> optimised for dual-core. It's all about
> multi-cores. If you apps can support 2 cores, they
> can support 16 - there'll be some poor exceptions
> (/me looks in Symantec's direction), but that's
> the way it is and will be.

Go with the 8800 my friend ;) I will concede that the drivers are immature, however I've yet to find a game that I can't run (although HL2 didn't run with the latest drivers, and so I reverted to the ones that were shipped with the card) There haven't been any new drivers recently but I hear rumours, from the Inquirer and other sites, that they are to show up in quite soon.

I went with the EVGA 690i motherboard, and it was 210 when I bought it (not sure what it is now) and it's worked flawlessly. The Asus board is just out, but I have no reason to think it'd have any major issues.

Personally, i'd go for the 6600 (in fact, I did go for it) as it is a fraction slower in terms of clock speed, but it such a fast processor in the first place that I doubt you'd notice the difference (however £150 is a lot of beer, and that you WILL notice) Plus, that heatsink will almost certainly let you clock it >3GHz anyway.

You'd also be wise to make sure that the 8800 will fit inside your case! I didn't expect it to be a problem however it came very close to the hard drive bays at the front. There are a few threads on forums with lists of compatible cases.

SKEL

You can accuse a person of just about anything and get away with it, as long as you don't call them a lousy lover or bad driver. -Jackie Stewart
Date: December 02, 2006 12:31PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Its a bad time, like gav said.

I take Morbid's point about the next big thing always around the corner, but in this case, Vista is something you must wait for.

I'm gonna step out of this thread, since I long ago gave up buying cutting edge and spending big money for negligible gains. Got myself a mc mini, osx rocks, so I'm out :p

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 02, 2006 12:39PM
huh!?!

Give me one single reason why you must be ready for Vista? I have always waited 6-12 months before adopting the latest and greatest OS, which saved me all the trouble of the zillions of bugs there will be in the OS, apps and drivers, plus everybody else had spent their money beta-testing the hardware transition for me.

The right thing to do, is buy a transition rig, that will run DX9 and last until Vista and all the support structure has been ironed out. Unless you want to be a tech-savvy betatester for your own money, that is...

Date: December 02, 2006 12:48PM
Morbid Wrote:
> Give me one single reason why you must be ready
> for Vista? I have always waited 6-12 months before
> adopting the latest and greatest OS, which saved
> me all the trouble of the zillions of bugs there
> will be in the OS, apps and drivers, plus
> everybody else had spent their money beta-testing
> the hardware transition for me.

Because like it or loathe it, programs and more critically drivers are going under a major change with Vista. The way the drivers hook into the kernal will dictate how XP's backward-compatability is shaped. Vista's different enough to be sure that new approaches are necessary (particularly in video, sound and network devices), yet close enough that many companies won't be making XP-specific drivers - they'll be a Vista spin-off.

How that'll affect people I've no idea, but major programs such as anti-virus and games have already started suffering.
Date: December 02, 2006 12:54PM
skel, whats your full specs mate? and the only EVGA mobo I could see is the 680i, not 690i

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:56PM by madotteя.
Date: December 02, 2006 01:19PM
gav Wrote:
> How that'll affect people I've no idea, but major
> programs such as anti-virus and games have already
> started suffering.

Yeah, just like it would with the Y2K bug, 64-bit CPU's and all the other "major things" right? I think that is a very subjective point of view. Don't believe the hype.

Who is forcing you to upgrade drivers if they are working properly? Who is forcing you to run an anti-virus program, that suddenly abandons XP. Millions of systems in business and governments will still be running XP 3 years from now, mark my words, and there will be companies that will be catering for their interests.

Of course you can build and buy a rig now, install XP and drivers, and all the games and apps around and run merrily for 12-18 months. This is a new OS, not armaggedon.

Date: December 02, 2006 01:42PM
I don't do hype. Had the Y2K bug hooked into the kernel's API and not some 15 yr old BIOS, we would have had a problem ;)

I've no intention of upgrading to Vista at work. It would be suicidal there. However, if you can get FS:X running adequately on a modest Athlon64 with, say an X800 Pro, then you let me know. Same will apply to Crysis too. 2 of the most anticipated games of 2006 and 2007, and neither will do anything other than struggle to run on XP. It's going to be the same story all the time until you do go Vista.

Anti-virus is less of an issue. It won't just stop working. It's is however having to attach itself to the system in a different way. If you've got it set up to update itself (and most will update both definitions and engine), then you're going to leave yourself a little more susceptible to attacks. Not an issue for most of us, but 'hackers' if you like will exploit it (indeed, already are), and the kids and less wary of us who participate in, lets say the less legal activities will get hit. The current fashion of the MSN virus will be next.

It's all good and well saying "I can do this and it'll last until I'm ready", but there will inevitably be something you want that just won't fit in.

As for 64bit CPUs, you'd better believe it. It is happening, and for one very, very important reason. RAM. Both XP and Vista 32-bit can support a max of 3.7Gb of RAM, and for many applications in the not too distant future, that's just not enough.
Date: December 02, 2006 01:42PM
It's true, our tills at work (Game) only got XP installed 3 weeks ago. I don't think we will be getting rid of it anytime soon.
Date: December 02, 2006 01:44PM
Just out of curiosity, do the 775 boards support 2 lots of Dual Channel memory? I know that the original AMD 754/939 didn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy