good 19" TFT offer (page 12)

Posted by Muks_C 
Plus the great thing about that case is if you do use the onboard graphics, you can have 3 hard drives! Amazing really given its the size of a shuttle pc!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus the great thing about that case is if you do
> use the onboard graphics, you can have 3 hard
> drives! Amazing really given its the size of a
> shuttle pc!

Oooh like the sound of that. If the case isn't too heavy I could bring it home at Easter and Christmas to play FM on. Either that or make one at home using the old old monitor I have and use that as a file store from Uni.
Its not too heavy - I mean its not light, its vdry very solidly built, but easy to carry.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Re: Computer keeps resetting/ TFT Monitor advice (page 8)
Date: January 02, 2007 06:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
ordered the 19" HannsG height adjustable tft from Ebuyer today, £121 delivered (for free with the super saver option), have to wait till next tuesday to get it though, but no worries, my current monitor works fine, so i can wait.

didn't find any better deals at Currys/PC World, so decided just to go for it. PCWorld had a 17" AOC one for £130, and an Advent 17" for £127, so there's no way they could beat the Ebuyer deal for a 19". on those price checking/comparison sites, ebuyer was the lowest price for this particular model, so i'm happy.

reading the reviews of that and other monitors, people always mention that there are no dead pixels with their monitor. if one is dead, is there anything you can do, short of asking for a replacement? once it's dead, is it like that forever, or can the professionals at their factory fix it?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
There is a standard for monitors and faulty pixels. I think monitors can have up to 6 faulty pixels before you can have them exchanged. Aria.co.uk have a paid service where they check a monitor for faulty pixels and only send monitors to you with no faulty pixels.

As far as I know only Aria.co.uk offer this service.
Re: Computer keeps resetting/ TFT Ordered (page 10)
Date: January 02, 2007 07:32PM
so say mine has 3 dead pixels, i can't complain?

and will a dead pixel just look like a black dot?

do they die through over-use and over a long period of time, or just randomly at any time?

Date: January 02, 2007 07:35PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so say mine has 3 dead pixels, i can't complain?
>
> and will a dead pixel just look like a black dot?
>
> do they die through over-use and over a long
> period of time, or just randomly at any time?

Well you could read the manual or contact Ebuyer and ask what the policy is. The 6 pixels is a figure I got from the Monitors page on Aria. I think the pixels can be any colour when broken.

I don't know how/why they break. Perhaps it just a small percentage allowed under the manufacturing process?
Date: January 02, 2007 07:44PM
Posted by: pankykapus
for instance I have one dead pixel. It's pink when the screen is white and black when the screen is darker. You might have sub pixel which is only recognizeable at a certain coulour (like it turns pink at black colour)

You can make a dead pixel live I think there's a method written at Wikipedia but you can ruin a lot more if you're not careful.

It might happen that you have no dead pixels but after a few months you'll have that's not extraordinary. A lot of store have guarantee for dead pixels (like if you discover one they change your monitor)
Date: January 02, 2007 08:51PM
i've read that it comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty, so hopefully that will cover any problems, but should i expect a few dead pixels after say a year of use?

Date: January 02, 2007 09:04PM
Posted by: villej
Erm, do the pixels really die in the use? I have always thought that the transistors controlling the pixels can't became faulty after the manufacturing.

And regarding the dead pixel policies, they may vary a little depending on manufactorer and the price of the screen. Some manufactures already use zero dead pixel policy on their more expensive panels.

MarcLister wrote:
"I don't know how/why they break. Perhaps it just a small percentage allowed under the manufacturing process?"

The pixels in TFT panels are controlled by transistors. Sometimes transistors may be faulty when manufactured, and one TFT panel has millions of transistors.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2007 09:12PM by villej.
Date: January 02, 2007 09:25PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Samsung has a warranty for zero dead pixels, and you can return your screen in 10 days if you find any. Pixels can go and die after a period of time.
Date: January 03, 2007 12:13AM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, it all depends on the manufacturers. Some manufacturers have a system where if certain number of pixels in a certain area (say 25 pixels square) are dead, then you can claim.

Dead pixels aren't really much of a feature now anyway - it's more manu's covering their backs now. Of all the (very cheap) monitors we've got at work and all I've set up and use over time, I to this day still only know of 1 dead pixel.

Dell for instance did (not sure if they still do) replace most monitors with dead pixels even when they didn't have to. Even during the summer, when the main issue was corn flies getting down the back of some TFTs and dying right in the middle of it, Dell offered to replace them. Personally I just preferred them to decompose...
Date: January 03, 2007 12:23AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Manufacturing has improved a lot, you don't tend to see them anymore.

On another note, I just want to say that villej, your english is extraordinary! Amazing :)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: January 04, 2007 10:33AM
Posted by: villej
Thank you. :) Well, I can write english decently, but speaking english is an another matter. I still haven't learnt to pronounce english words properly.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: January 08, 2007 06:49PM
i removed the grill from the bottom-front of my case to have a look at how a fan would fit in:

where exactly would the fan go? in the gap in the metal part of the case, or does it just sit inside the beige plastic grill i removed?

the circle in the metal bit is 60mm diameter, the inside of the grill is 85x85mm, so do i just get an 80mm fan to sit in the grill, or a 60mm fan to slide into the metal area?

i can't see anywhere to screw the fan in though.

Date: January 08, 2007 06:51PM
Posted by: MarcLister
I'm not entirely sure but I reckon the fan would sit in the beige grill you took out. Have you got your fan? Put the fan into the beige grill and see how comfortably it fits.
Date: January 08, 2007 07:10PM
no i haven't bought one yet, didn't know what size, but have now measured it. the space inside the grill is 85x85mm, so an 80mm fan would fit there. if it's meant to go in the metal area, it'll need to be a 60mm i think.

If the metal "casing" blocking the fan is removable (and it looks it from the shots you've taken), see whether it can be taken out. Otherwise, the only way I can see that working is to take the front fascia (the plastic thing that makes the front of the case look nice [ish]) off, slide the fan in through the gap, and (only if there's screw holes) screw it in place.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 08, 2007 08:08PM
i tried pulling the casing, it seemes to be riveted in, so i think the only way to put the fan in, is to do as you say Turkey, from the front after taking the plastic case off the tower.

so it definitely doesn't go in the grill then?

what is the purpose for the grill in the first place?

My guess is, it's a grill for the fan. An open fan isn't a good thing around that area, so there's a grill there to stop wires being sucked into it and causing havoc. Consider it a good thing. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy