good 19" TFT offer (page 12)

Posted by Muks_C 
Re: Computer keeps resetting/ TFT Monitor advice (page 8)
Date: December 30, 2006 01:52AM
Posted by: gav
[accessories.euro.dell.com]

Dell monitors are just in a totally different league for value. Totally.

//edit: mid-high end value I should have said... this isn't something Muks will be after, but the 20"+ Dells are simply staggeringly good value for money. They do do a cheaper version, but I believe it lacks most of the inputs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 01:56AM by gav.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [accessories.euro.dell.com]
> .aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=59233
>
> Dell monitors are just in a totally different
> league for value. Totally.
>
> //edit: mid-high end value I should have said...
> this isn't something Muks will be after, but the
> 20"+ Dells are simply staggeringly good value for
> money. They do do a cheaper version, but I believe
> it lacks most of the inputs.

That in response to my post Gav? Was thinking about Dell I have to say. The composite input on that you've linked to allows me to hook up an Xbox 360 should I get one? Will it run in 1080p HD or any other HD resolution?

Now I'm not au fait with this 16ms stuff. Is 16ms fast enough? I've seen other monitors with 8ms/5ms etc. Am I needing to be concerned with this? As you yourself say, get a good monitor, it'll outlast everything else so I'd like to get as good a monitor as I can.
Date: December 30, 2006 12:28PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> That in response to my post Gav? Was thinking
> about Dell I have to say. The composite input on
> that you've linked to allows me to hook up an Xbox
> 360 should I get one? Will it run in 1080p HD or
> any other HD resolution?

Yeah, it was a response to your post. I've no idea about the composite setup mind. I've only ever once hooked up a VCR to my monitor (I normally go through the TV card as I'm usually ripping something to DVD).

Consider PMing or emailing Ian Woollam - he's got the same monitor I have (a 2405FPW) which is a slightly larger but older model and a 360.

Also perhaps make a post on the AVForums for the more technical details. I believe 1080p HD is a 1920xsomething resolution though, in which case you'd be needing the 24" monitor - I'll probably be wrong about that though, as I don't know much at all about HD technologies.

MarcLister Wrote:
> Now I'm not au fait with this 16ms stuff. Is 16ms
> fast enough? I've seen other monitors with 8ms/5ms
> etc. Am I needing to be concerned with this? As
> you yourself say, get a good monitor, it'll
> outlast everything else so I'd like to get as good
> a monitor as I can.

Yes, 16ms is fast enough. It's all down to how companies grade the timings anyway, so you can't even directly compare. All you can do is take peoples word for it. I've noticed once a slight ghost, and I've had this monitor for over a year now. Half of VaderTrophy now own one too - you'll struggle to see anything but praise for the high-end Dell widescreens. Some of the earlier revisions of the new 24" (the 2407WFP IIRC) had some black light bleeding issues, but they've long-since disappeared.

In short, I couldn't recommend them enough, but do make further inquiries on the finer details you're concerned about.
Cheers Gav, your advice is much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll PM Ian now.
Date: December 30, 2006 04:46PM
Posted by: Muks_C
just going back to my resetting problem, i reconnected the reset switch to the mobo and left it on for 45 mins, came back, and it hadn't reset, so it might just have been loose or something, so i've left it attached. but if it resets just once, then i'll disconnect it again.

edit: just pressed the reset button, it didn't reset the pc, so it might be dead now anyway, so i'll just disconnect it from the mobo.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 04:50PM by Muks_C.
Date: December 30, 2006 05:34PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> That in response to my post Gav? Was thinking
> about Dell I have to say. The composite input on
> that you've linked to allows me to hook up an Xbox
> 360 should I get one? Will it run in 1080p HD or
> any other HD resolution?

Coincidently, from a post I've just read on another forum:

After a bit of digging around I've seen that the dell can't take 1080p over component but it can using a 360 vga cable, so looks like I'll have to invest in one of those

That was in reference to the 2407, so it's fair to assume the 20" wouldn't be able to either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 05:35PM by gav.
gav Wrote:
> MarcLister Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That in response to my post Gav? Was thinking
> > about Dell I have to say. The composite input
> on
> > that you've linked to allows me to hook up an
> Xbox
> > 360 should I get one? Will it run in 1080p HD
> or
> > any other HD resolution?
>
> Coincidently, from a post I've just read on
> another forum:
>
> After a bit of digging around I've seen that the
> dell can't take 1080p over component but it can
> using a 360 vga cable, so looks like I'll have to
> invest in one of those
>
> That was in reference to the 2407, so it's fair to
> assume the 20" wouldn't be able to either.

That from Overclockers Gav? [forums.overclockers.co.uk]. I saw that. So I'm thinking I'd could use the DVI socket to hook my monitor to my PC and the VGA socket to hook up the monitor to the Xbox? I checked out the Dell Support pages and one of the buttons on the front of the monitors is a Input source select button. So if I'm right I can have the PC connected via DVI and the Xbox connected via VGA and just use the button to switch between them.
Date: December 30, 2006 08:05PM
Yeah, from OcUK - forgot you were a member :) - that's how I use my systems - one for my main rig, and one for my HTPC.

If it's the same as my 2405FPW, then you won't be able to use both VGA and DVI with picture-in-picture, but I doubt that's a concern to you.
gav Wrote:
> Yeah, from OcUK - forgot you were a member :) -
> that's how I use my systems - one for my main rig,
> and one for my HTPC.
>
> If it's the same as my 2405FPW, then you won't be
> able to use both VGA and DVI with
> picture-in-picture, but I doubt that's a concern
> to you.

Nah I'd be OK with that. I'd like to be able to watch TV/play FM07 and be able to have MSN on without any overlapping. If I did get this monitor and an Xbox360 I'd most likely run only the PC or the Xbox on the screen at any one time.

I've been thinking about building a cheapo Linux box with perhaps Ubuntu and Fedora on just to gain experience of the OS. I was going to keep my current monitor for this but I could have the Linux box VGA'd up and use just one monitor? Then I could bring the current monitor home and setup another cheap box to act as a decent PC for when I'm home from Uni.

Either that or get a MacBook. Oh the choices.
Date: December 30, 2006 08:58PM
You could only hook up 1 DVI and 1 VGA to the one monitor, unless you used a splitter on the VGA I guess. You've still got Svideo and Composite though. if you can connect one of them up via that.
Date: December 30, 2006 10:56PM
Marc, this is kinda important.

The 2007WFP is going for £258 from Dell themselves until midnight tonight! Read this thread at Hexus for the info: [forums.hexus.net]

That's a staggering saving, so if you've got the cash at all right now, DO IT!

//edit: reading on, it's apparently until Jan 10th, but read up anyway...

//edit2: I'm actually tempted myself... a second for me at home (a dedicated one for my HTPC) and one for work... dammit that's a good offer :\

//edit3: erm... spelling mistake corrections in my relative excitement...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 10:59PM by gav.
Cheers Gav, I will look at that. Will have to sign up first though. Just need to decide if I'll be happy with the 20 inch model or not.
I've a 19", and its pretty awesome. 20" is a big screeen mate! DO IT!!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Right I've pretty much decided I will take the offer up. That is an amazing offer, I mean OcUK sell that for £335 so to get it for £258 is one heck of a bargain. Going by Overclocker prices, the only site I've found with both the 2007WFP and the 2407WFP the 2007WFP is £205.63 cheaper than the 2407WFP which is a whacking great premium to pay for an extra 4 inches of desktop estate. However the Dell offer for the 2007WFP makes the premium rocket to £282.41 which frankly is ridiculous. I could get 2 x 2007WFPs for the price of a 2407WFP and still have £24.33 left over. So Gav, you getting one then?

OK I'll only be able to get 720p HD should I get an Xbox but I'm still not sure if I would realistically get an Xbox 360. I just wanted to know if I could for kind of planning reasons. I'm back at Uni on the 6th of Jan so I might make the order on the 4th/5th so I'm well within the deadline but late enough to my return that I'm at Uni when the monitor turns up.

I think I'll make my Linux box soon then. Got a processor, some RAM from my old PC and a hard disk so I just need some other stuff and I'm laughing.

Looking on OcUK and I've found two nice Antec cases which I found on Ebuyer a while ago. They're not there anymore so I've to decide between [www.overclockers.co.uk] or [www.overclockers.co.uk].

Will 300W be OK? I'd like a case I can just pick up and carry easily. My main PC is in an Akasa Eclipse 62 you see. So I can either have a really small Antec and place it on the edge of my desk or get the 380W case and plonk my new monitor on top of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2006 02:06AM by MarcLister.
> OK I'll only be able to get 720p HD should I get
> an Xbox but I'm still not sure if I would
> realistically get an Xbox 360.

Not true actually! :) The VGA dosn't work in just 480,720 and 1080, it accepts alot of resolutions including 1680x1050 :) Haven't heard any problems with Color Washout on them monitors, but if you do decide to go for the 360 I'd check other people's experiences....

At that price too, I'd go for the 20"! sounds like a great offer, I'd get one too but I don't really need another monitor atm :) and I'm trying my hardest to save money :/ But it dosn't surprise me Gav's interested in getting one ;) Sometimes I wonder how many hours his paychecks actually last ;-) come to think of it I think hours is been generous :D

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Ianwoollam Wrote:
>
> Not true actually! :) The VGA dosn't work in just
> 480,720 and 1080, it accepts alot of resolutions
> including 1680x1050 :) Haven't heard any problems
> with Color Washout on them monitors, but if you do
> decide to go for the 360 I'd check other people's
> experiences....

Oh right, so its possible I could get it to show my 360 at 1680x1050 then? Ace.
Date: December 31, 2006 11:48AM
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> At that price too, I'd go for the 20"! sounds like
> a great offer, I'd get one too but I don't really
> need another monitor atm :) and I'm trying my
> hardest to save money :/ But it dosn't surprise me
> Gav's interested in getting one ;) Sometimes I
> wonder how many hours his paychecks actually last
> ;-) come to think of it I think hours is been
> generous :D

You be quiet! I've not spent anything of my money since I last got paid! ;)

MarcLister Wrote:
> So Gav, you getting one then?

In the cold hard light of the morning, I just don't have the room for it atm. When I redo my room (planned for Qsomething 2007), then I'd be fine, but it's not really practical at the moment. I think given the popularity of large monitors now, the prices will only fall, and this sort of price might become a bit more normal. Think I'll hold off for the moment.

As for the Antec's - they're generally good and solid cases. 300W for an equally solid Antec would probably be fine, but it depends on what you're intending to run really. A P4 Prescott with 2 hard drives and an X1900XT or something would likely mean fire ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2006 11:50AM by gav.
I had that first cube case, except it was the preceeding model - the antec aria.

Loved that case, great design, accepts all micro atx boards. Only thing is, the PSU does impeed the cpu heatsink fan slightly - my socket A had about 2 mm clearance, weith 1/3 of the fan under the psu.

It ran hot because of that, but never problematically hot. If you search the OCuk small form factor forum for antec aria you'll read my trials and tribulations! Did a lot of stuff to that case - psu modded it, and was gonna cut blowholes too, but couldn't be arsed.

PSU is excellent too. Ran 2 HDDs, a 9700 Pro, xp2000 etc.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
gav Wrote:
> As for the Antec's - they're generally good and
> solid cases. 300W for an equally solid Antec would
> probably be fine, but it depends on what you're
> intending to run really. A P4 Prescott with 2 hard
> drives and an X1900XT or something would likely
> mean fire ;)

It's going to be an AMD 3000 64, 2x512Mb DDR RAM, a hard disk, optical drive (not sure which yet, DVD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD-RW?!). I've not decided whether I'd need seperate sound and graphics cards. The motherboard I looked up had onboard gfx and sound. Now sound I think I could get away with using an onboard but gfx? Think I found a cheap AGP gfx somewhere. So with all that I doubt I'll be pushing the 300W PSU?
Date: December 31, 2006 02:51PM
Nah, it'll be fine :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy