Posted by: MikaHalpinen
went forward for me :D
Re: Clocks go back an hour?
Date: October 29, 2006 04:37AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> went forward for me :D

Stupid daylight saving pussies who cant take less sunlight! If it concerns you so much, YOU wake up earlier! And what about my curtains!

Date: October 29, 2006 05:17AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
I never understood the principle of daylight savings. For mine, the amount of sunlight available each day does not change whether your clocks an hour faster, slower, or something altogether different. All daylight savings does it screw-up my body clock and make sure the sun's still up at 8pm. Feel sorry for all those young kids with an early bedtime. Must be hard trying to sleep in the middle of the afternoon.
Date: October 29, 2006 06:03AM
being able to have a summer bbq or something like that outside is a lot nicer when it's getting dark at about 8:30pm instead of 7:30pm...

what's not to get about it? ;)

and red_bull, i have no idea what you're trying to say, so i'll just ignore it
Date: October 29, 2006 06:07AM
Posted by: danm
yeh, but for some of us the change means we can drive to and from work in the morning/evening in where lighting conditions are safer/easier for us to use.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 29, 2006 07:11AM
Posted by: Karan
i think it mainly helps with energy costs around the world huh? brighter earlier so dont have to use lights as much in the morning. but then again it gets darker earlier too. so actually atleast those kids with an early bed time, wont have to goto bed with daylight outside anymore ;)

Date: October 29, 2006 11:41AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
like mike said, what's not to get?

It just makes sense!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 29, 2006 01:27PM
Posted by: LS.
The idea of summer time, or daylight saving time, was first suggested in a whimsical article by Benjamin Franklin in 1784. In 1907 an Englishman, William Willett campaigned to advance clocks by 80 minutes, by 4 moves of 20 minutes at the beginning of the spring and summer months and to return to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in a similar manner in the autumn. In 1908 the House of Commons rejected a Bill to advance the clocks by one hour during the spring and summer months.

Summer time was first defined in an Act of 1916 that ordained that for a certain period during the year legal time should be one hour in advance of GMT. The Summer Time Acts of 1922 to 1925 extended the period during which summer time was in force and so, from 1916 up to the Second World War, clocks were put in advance of GMT by one hour from the spring to the autumn.

During the Second World War, double summer time (2 hours in advance of GMT) was introduced and was used for the period when, normally ordinary summer time would have been in force. During the winter clocks were kept one hour in advance of GMT. After the war, summer time was invoked each year from 1948 to 1967. In 1968 clocks were advanced one hour ahead of GMT on 18 February and remained so until British Standard Time, during which clocks were kept in advance of GMT all year, came into force between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971.

The Summer Time Act 1972 defined the period of British Summer Time to start at 02.00 GMT on the morning of the day after the third Saturday in March or, if that was Easter Day, the day after the second Saturday. It was to end at 02.00 GMT on the day after the fourth Saturday in October. The duration of British Summer Time can be varied by Order of Council and in recent years has been changed so as to bring the date of the start of Summer Time into line with that used in Europe.

The rule for 1981–1994 defined the start of summer time in the UK as the last Sunday in March and the end as the day following the fourth Saturday in October. The time of change was altered to 01.00 GMT.

There was no rule for the dates of summer time for the years 1995, 1996 and 1997, but the ad-hoc dates were:

1995 26 March to 22 October
1996 31 March to 27 October
1997 30 March to 26 Ocotber
all changes taking place at 01.00 GMT

Summer time dates, 1998–2007

The European Union has now adopted The Ninth European Parliament and Council Directive on Summer Time Arrangements in which it states that summer (or daylight saving) time will be kept between the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. The changes will take place at 01.00 GMT. The dates are:

29 March to 25 October

28 March to 31 October

26 March to 29 October

25 March to 28 October

31 March to 27 October

30 March to 26 October

28 March to 31 October

27 March to 30 October

26 March to 29 October

25 March to 28 October

These dates have since been confirmed by the UK Parliament for the UK and Northern Ireland.

Summer time all year round?

Some people advocate that summer time is kept all year round but this is opposed by other groups on the grounds that in the north this would have social disadvantages including, for instance, the problem that in the far north-west of Scotland sunrise would occur at about 10.00 in the middle of winter and over much of the north small children would have to travel to/from school in darkness.

Many countries around the world use daylight saving time, including the USA, Russia, most of Europe and the Commonwealth.

The main reasons given for the use of summer time are the saving in power given by the longer hours of daylight in the evenings and the increased useful daylight leisure time available to those who work

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 30, 2006 09:31AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Thanks for clearing that up LS. MikaHalpinen, I wasn't addressing you or anyone personally either.

Date: October 30, 2006 10:01AM
Posted by: Willb
so i smell wikipedia ;-) .

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: October 30, 2006 04:02PM
Posted by: LS.
you need to clean your nose out then ;-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 31, 2006 05:08PM
Posted by: brunoboi
the british invented time and so we should have the power to change it to sort us - Sounds good to me ;) Personally I welcome the extra hours sleep

Date: October 31, 2006 05:39PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i think it should all go metric, but i don't know how it would work. 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in an hour, 20 hours in a day?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 31, 2006 06:04PM
Posted by: DC
Muks_C Wrote:
> i think it should all go metric, but i don't know
> how it would work. 100 seconds in a minute, 100
> minutes in an hour, 20 hours in a day?

Hope your 'metric' seconds are going to be shorter, because we'd have 200,000 seconds in a day, instead of the 86,400 we have at the moment...
Date: October 31, 2006 06:58PM
Posted by: count.bazley
@Muks_C: I think Swatch's 'Internet Time' may interest you in conversion to metric time. ;)

[www.swatch.com]

Basically the day is seperated into 1000 so-called 'beats', which can then be further divided if needs be.
Date: November 01, 2006 12:09AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Why should it go metric?

Doesn't it work pretty well as it is??

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 01, 2006 12:15AM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ DC, why should 1 day be the regular day-night we use now? who says 1 "day" can't be 2 days and 2 nights?

of course our bodies are used to running with approx 8 hours sleep and being awake the remaining 16 hours, but what if there were some way we could be awake for say 30 hours and sleep for say, 18 hours?

then you could go to work for 25 hours, relax for 5 hours, sleep for 18 hours, which would take up 2 of our conventonal 24 hour days. and the working week could be only 3 days, with 2 day weekends.

@ Count Bazley, thanks for the link.

@ Qwerty, yes it works well as it is, but i'm just thinking about how things could be in the future. they already talk of making pills to keep you awake longer, so you can work through the night, say a full 20 hours, then take an extra day off. they ask why should everything stop or slow down because of "night", the day night divide could be removed in the future so you can do anything at any time.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2006 12:17AM by Muks_C.
Date: November 01, 2006 01:52AM
Muks_C Wrote:
> why should 1 day be the regular day-night we
> use now? who says 1 "day" can't be 2 days and 2
> nights?

Dude lay off the crack
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy