Monitor "cracked"

Posted by Wirah 
Monitor "cracked"
Date: September 20, 2006 07:22PM
Posted by: Wirah
I have a problem with my TFT monitor, it seems serious. I was just playing a game when I heard a "popping" noise, the monitor seemed to crack, and several thin lines filled about a fifth of the screen going vertically.

However, when I run my finger along the crack, I feel no abrasion, it has the appearance of a heavy impact, but no such thing has occoured.

Any way I can remove these lines?

I know I am being vague, but its the best I can offer. Obviously, a print screen doesn't show them.

Re: Monitor "cracked"
Date: September 20, 2006 07:46PM
Posted by: danm
photo!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 20, 2006 07:49PM
Posted by: gav
Wirah Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Any way I can remove these lines?

Erm... RMA? They're not exactly gonna come off with a bit of soapy water.
Date: September 20, 2006 07:58PM
I was thinking maybe you could reset the monitor in some way, maybe that could remove them. dan - I dont have a digital camera.

Date: September 20, 2006 08:05PM
OK, I'm not going to beat around the bush. The thing's @#$%&.
Date: September 20, 2006 08:17PM
Posted by: danm
my brothers did something similar, really think lines and it was due to the cables coming loose.

does it stay the same, same place, same size lines after rebooting/switching on and off?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 20, 2006 08:29PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation Gav. What causes this? And how did it "crack"

Date: September 20, 2006 08:29PM
Cheap laptops (think PC World, or their Advent brand) do this all the time - it's essentially a 'dry joint' normally. If it's made a cracking noise prior to this, then it's basically done for.

If it's in warranty, have them RMA it. If it's not, it'll cost more to fix it than to buy a decent new one.

Save for checking the data cable (and it couldn't have been that anyway if the noise was linked), and the power cable (known to make wierd noises sometimes, but if it was the cause, it's definately done for), there's little else you can do. Opening any monitor is a big no-no, especially if the power supply unit is internal.
Date: September 20, 2006 08:38PM
The monitor is of great quality, well obviously, beforehand (Dell, which I belive myself and many others regard their monitors in high regard). I'll try and find the paperwork to look at the warranty.

What does RMA mean?

Date: September 20, 2006 08:53PM
Return Merchandise Authorization - basically you RMA dead products back to have them fixed or replaced - it doesn't make sense language wise, but that's just the phrase used.

I hold Dell in high regard myself - I too have one of their high-end monitors, and didn't hesitate to recommend it to others - as a result 3 others VTs also have one now. It doesn't make them immune to failures though. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 09:15PM by gav.
Date: September 20, 2006 09:12PM
Mine isn't really high-end. Its a 17" that came with my dell.

I've got to say thanks for your help Gav. I appreciate it.

Date: September 21, 2006 10:13PM
Any recommendations for a new monitor? TFT, around £100.

Date: September 22, 2006 01:04PM
Posted by: mortal
could try ebay :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 22, 2006 01:53PM
Posted by: matt3454
[www.ebuyer.com]

Date: September 22, 2006 02:39PM
If you can stretch £20 more, then these Hanns-G monitors are supposed to be awesome value for money: [www.overclockers.co.uk] - the widescreen monitor even better value if you can stretch to £30 extra.

Scroll half-way down the page for the goodies.
Date: September 25, 2006 03:27PM
Posted by: Muks_C
hello guys, just saw an ad for a 19" monitor at PCWorld on tv, was £199, now £149, as seen here: [www.pcworld.co.uk]

is it any good? what about the one on the right, the 17" with built-in tv tuner?

or are those on ebuyer and OCUK better?

i'm a total noob on TFT's, so if anyone can recommend something. transferring my whole computer and everything to the spare room while my room is being decorated made me think about how bulky and heavy my CRT is, then i saw the ad on tv.

are all monitors TFT? what about LCD, is that just tv's?

cheers.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 25, 2006 06:58PM
Muks_C Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> are all monitors TFT? what about LCD, is that just tv's?

Same thing - monitors can be described as TFT or LCD, but they're the same thing, spec wise.

Specs on that 19" HP look alright, but specs mean jack all with TFTs. If specs were anything to go by, my monitor would be @#$%& - it just isn't. Best bet is to pop into PC World and have a look, the advantage you have of a high-street store. Only thing I can say, as above in this thread, is that the Hanns-G monitors at OcUK are meant to be a cracking buy for the money (especially the wide-screen) - I can't vouch for that myself, but there's been some extremely satisfied customers in the Hexus.net forums recently.

No idea about TV-tuners in monitors. Haven't experienced one. I would recommend WinXP Media Centre as a much more controlled alternative though. It rocks. As does the Vista incarnation equally.

Two more things to bear in mind - a 19" monitor gives you no more real-estate than a 17" one, as they use the same resolution (1280x1024). 19" can look stretched to some, as the pixels are bigger, while a 17" can look a touch small to others. I've got a 19" at work, and it's fine for me though - again, best bet is to have a look in person. Only other thing I can think of right now is that make sure that if you're going to be gaming with it, that your PC can cope with 1280x1024 - obviously most will (unless you're Iceman Paul), but keep it in mind, as using lower resolutions on TFTs looks @#$%&.
Date: September 25, 2006 09:03PM
i think a 15" or 17" would do fine for me.

my sister went to PCWorld today to ask about something for her laptop, and also asked about the difference between TFT and LCD monitors. they said that with TFTs the image can be viewed from any angle you view it from, but with LCD, you have to view it from directly in front. is that wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2006 09:04PM by Muks_C.
Date: September 25, 2006 09:25PM
Posted by: villej
TFT is a variant of LCD, and basically all modern LCD monitors and TVs are TFTs.

All LCDs, including TFTs I have seen have a limited view angles. Thats a drawback of LCD technology. But newer LCD panels have been able to fix the most of that, and basically almost all monitors and tvs have a very good viewing angles now.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: September 27, 2006 01:14AM
got an email from Misco.co.uk with details of monitor offers:

HannsG 19" with intergrated speakers for £114 inc VAT:
[www.misco.co.uk]

HannsG 17" with integrated speakers for £100 inc VAT:

[www.misco.co.uk]

plus they have loads more in the monitor section of their site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy