steering wheels

Posted by torana_05 
Re: steering wheels
Date: July 12, 2006 01:51AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott

if by cute you mean "god awful", then yes.

H E L L O
Date: July 12, 2006 06:13AM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's cute, looks like a small child's toy ;)
Date: July 12, 2006 06:31AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Date: July 12, 2006 11:30AM
Posted by: Muks_C
my 2 wheels arrived today, not tried them yet though, off to the library to do some research!!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 12, 2006 07:03PM
the Jag wheel was clearly used judging by the condition of the box, but the item itself was in good condition and has the wheel, pedals and the 3 suction cups that fit to the bottom.

Jag:
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]

the Williams wheel was brand new though.

Williams:
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]

Comparison:
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]

i tried them both out on GP4, and both were ok, but the pedals weren't good with both as they were both acting digital, i couldn't get them to be analog. but i changed the setup so i could accelerate and brake on the wheel using the buttons, so that was ok.

i then tried them both out on GT4 on my PS2, and they were both good. i liked the feel of the Jag wheel more, as it was wider and just felt more ergonomic and fit nicely in the hands. however it's pedals are almost vertical so it's quite uncomfortable on your feet. also, the Jag pedals were still acting digital, so that wasn't good. also, the base with the pedals is very light and with a smooth bottom, it kept sliding away from my feet.

in contrast, the whole Williams package was heavier than the Jag, the Williams pedals alone are heavier than the whole Jag steering wheel unit! also, they have bigger rubber grips on the underneath, so combined with their weight the pedals don't move away from your feet. also the pedals are quite flat, so it's not uncomfortable for the feet/ankles.

the Williams wheel is heavy and feels of good quality, and can be displayed when not in use using a little attachment that fits into the back of it when it's removed from the unit.

the Jag wheel's base is moulded to fit on your thighs, and feels solid, and also is pretty stable attached to a desktop with the 3 suckers. there is a compact version also, its base is shaped more like the Williams and not moulded to your legs:

[homepage.mac.com]

the Williams base unit is smaller than the Jag because it isn't moulded to fit on your thighs, but it does come with 2 pretty sturdy attachments that easily slide in so it can be rested on your thighs, and the attachments can be pushed in tighter to "clamp" it to your upper legs. on a desktop this wasn't as good though, the suckers just didn't suck as well as the Jag did.

the carbon fibre effect finish on the Williams doesn't look as good as the Jag, it just looks like a black and white checkered pattern. the Jag look quite good from certain angles when the light shines on it.

the Jag wheel just has 1 paddle on each side, while the Williams has 2 on each side (clutch and gear).

the Williams also has a stopwatch on it, and has 4 levels of steering sensitivity (F1, F2, F3 and F4, with F1 being the most sensitive, but with F4 you have to move the wheel a lot to get it to move).

overall, both are good, and i can't really choose which i like best, i like the shape of the Jag wheel and it's base/thigh rest, but I like the extra features of the Williams wheel, and the fact that it's brand new.

but both are not so good for GP4 due to their digital footpedals (unless you want to use the buttons to accelerate/brake), and the Jag pedals were still digital in GT4 also.

but gonna now try them both on NFS:Hot Pursuit2 on the PS2.

if i had to choose 1, then i'd take the Williams just cos it's new and feels of better quality, and the pedals are more comfortable and acted analog in GT4.

not bad for £22 for both of them!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2006 07:10PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 12, 2006 07:34PM
Suction pads, the height of clamping technology.

H E L L O
Date: July 12, 2006 10:09PM
well they work on the Jag wheel!

and forgot to add, the buttons on the Jag wheel are analog so you can accelerate and brake with those quite well, whereas it's pedals are digital, even though it says they are analog on the box.

the vibration on the Jag is weak, and the Williams is even weaker, you can hear something spinning, but only get a very slight sensation.

for the Williams, I used the F1 and F2 sensitivity settings, i start on F1, but i can't even go in a straight line, have to keep turning left to right, so switch to F2 which is slightly less sensitive, and i can go in a straight line, but it takes just that tiny bit longer to react when i turn, so i switch it back to F1, then get the zig-zagging problem again (this is in GT4).

then try the Jag wheel, no sophisticated sensitivity setting, just set at one level, and it's perfect, no zig zagging, but also not as much delay as on F2 on the Williams wheel.

it's weird, the steering on the Jag just feels "right". pity its pedals are crap, but i did use the buttons and it was quite good.

with the Jag wheel after 4 laps of High Speed Ring, i could do a lap with the Honda NSX GT car (the end one in the list) in 1min 7 sec. using the buttons to accelerate and brake, but with the Williams with the buttons, could only get 1min 8sec after about 7 laps (it's pedals are analog, but buttons are digital, opposite to the Jag).

i also tried the Williams pedals with the Jag wheel, but they didn't work at all, the sneaky gits, not allowing you to mix and match wheel and pedals!

and the BMW logo is missing off the centre of the Williams wheel, i thought it looked weird, but didn't realise till i looked at the pic on the box what it was

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2006 10:11PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 13, 2006 12:51AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I gota say, both of those wheels looking shockingly bad...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 13, 2006 12:57AM
Dave, for the price and for their target audience and console, they are ok, not brilliant by a long shot, but certainly not unusable. as a first wheel (or two), i am happy with them. when i get bored in a couple of weeks, i'll put em on ebay again. i intend to get a MS Sidewinder for the PC also.

Date: July 13, 2006 02:59AM
why would you buy two though?

H E L L O
Date: July 13, 2006 05:08AM
Posted by: Guimengo
read the last page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy