Techy question...complete with pictures!

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Techy question...complete with pictures!
Date: May 21, 2006 08:59AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Hey guys....For my birthday, I was given a DVD player with surround speakers, 5.1 ...It's all been easy enough to set it up and everything and it all works great, but i was wondering if there's any way I can set it up so when i watch TV normally, it uses the speakers? As it is, it's only when I watch DVD's. I assume I'd need to buy some sort of connection cords or something, I dunno, thus the help request :)

Here are the promised pictures -

Back of the TV

Back of the DVD Player

Sooo yeah, can I do it, what do I need to buy, and where do I put it? ;) Cheers
Re: Techy question...complete with pictures!
Date: May 21, 2006 09:32AM
Posted by: NeilPearson

the speakers get pluged into the dvd player?

Date: May 21, 2006 09:43AM
yup, sorry that was my bad, just out of that second pic is where each speaker gets plugged into, there's nothing really special about it though.
Date: May 21, 2006 10:09AM
Posted by: Lemming
how do you watch tv? is it through an arial plugged straight into the tv, or through something else, like a digibox or a video.

it'd be easy to make it happen if it comes from something else, but if it goes straight into the tv i wouldn't know how to do it.

Date: May 21, 2006 10:34AM
Posted by: zeppelin101
We have a setup like this at home, my dad's just spent loads of money on a completely new setup.

I'll check the wiring (our's goes through Sky though) and get back to you later ;-)
Date: May 21, 2006 10:45AM

final question what does the L1 and L2 mean on the DVD player? Is that like an AV channel but for audio?

I know on my old tv i had an audio out on it and i could just plug the Red/white sound cables straight into that and then into my stereo. thats what im thinking with this.

BUT on your tv what does the out mean? because it has a video on it thats whats confusing me, with your tv what options do you have? like AV1 AV2 AV0ut or something along those lines?

Date: May 21, 2006 11:06AM
The TV has AV1 and AV2 etc. I get the signal just through an arial plugged into the TV, although alternatively I can get it through the VCR, which has an antenna slot on it as well. That's how I record shows. Soooo following that logic, if the DVD player had a spot for an antenna to plug into, it'd be simple....but it doesn't, that's why I'm a bit lost.
Date: May 21, 2006 11:14AM
right

you'll need 1 or 2 of these (i'll call it (1) ):
[www.amazon.co.uk]

and one of these (call it (2) ):
[www.amazon.co.uk]

run your tv through your video, plug (1) into the video, and plug (2) into (1), using the yellow, red and white cables. then plug the red and white cables from the video into your DVD player in one of the two audio in sets of plugs.

that should get your sound working. to get the video working, plug the yellow cable that should be left over from (2), into your TV. you might need another (1) to make this happen, if your tv doesn't have an input for it already.

good luck! get back if you need any more help. :)

Date: May 21, 2006 11:19AM
or, easier way i just noticed..... have you just tried this, using the red and white phono cables?

EDIT: ignore, i'm being daft..... my post above should work tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 11:38AM by Lemming.
Date: May 21, 2006 11:27AM

lemming you got it going the wrong way!

it has to go OUT from the TV and IN to the DVD player

Date: May 21, 2006 11:31AM
Posted by: gareth
L1 and L2 is for Left 1 and Left 2, you'll see that your red RCA plugs are labelled R1 and R2. each stereo pair (eg L1 + R1 or L2 + R2) forms an audio channel.

see if this works:

From your DVD 'video out' plug your RCA cord's yellow into the corresponding 'IN' bits of your TV. Plug the red and white from the 'OUT' of your TV and into either L1 + R1 or L2 + R2 on the DVD. You might need to play around with a menu setting or something, but hopefully that will send at least a mono feed through all of your speakers.

normal TV i believe only has a stereo feed, so it won't be able to take full advantage of the 5.1 setup- eg it isn't mixed to send specific tracks to each speaker, but at least you might be able to make it LOUDER..... :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 11:35AM by gareth.
Date: May 21, 2006 11:38AM
NeilPearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > lemming you got it going the wrong way!
>
> it has to go OUT from the TV and IN to the DVD
> player
>
>

duh! ah yeah. so my post above it would be the simplest way then.

Date: May 21, 2006 11:41AM

From your DVD 'video out' plug your RCA cord's yellow into the corresponding 'IN' bits of your TV. Plug the red and white from the 'OUT' of your TV and into either L1 + R1 or L2 + R2 on the DVD. You might need to play around with a menu setting or something, but hopefully that will send at least a mono feed through all of your speakers.

But the problem is, the DVD player won't be picking up TV signals...so video out from the DVD to video in to the TV will be useless for anything but DVD's

Lemming's idea (the right way around ;)) was the first thing I tried, because it's the most logical, but that doesn't work either. When that didn't work I figured I had to change things in the TV menu but there was no option for anything relevant. So....I'm stumped.

btw lemming thanks for the pic, I like the effort ;)
Date: May 21, 2006 12:42PM
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > From your DVD 'video out' plug your RCA cord's
> yellow into the corresponding 'IN' bits of your
> TV. Plug the red and white from the 'OUT' of your
> TV and into either L1 + R1 or L2 + R2 on the DVD.
> You might need to play around with a menu setting
> or something, but hopefully that will send at
> least a mono feed through all of your speakers.
>
> But the problem is, the DVD player won't be
> picking up TV signals...so video out from the DVD
> to video in to the TV will be useless for anything
> but DVD's
>
> Lemming's idea (the right way around ) was the
> first thing I tried, because it's the most
> logical, but that doesn't work either. When that
> didn't work I figured I had to change things in
> the TV menu but there was no option for anything
> relevant. So....I'm stumped.
>
> btw lemming thanks for the pic, I like the effort
>
>

have you tried my other method i suggested? that should do it, but you might have to buy some parts for it to work....

Date: May 21, 2006 02:36PM
I got it working, your first idea was right lemming, it's just I had to delve into the DVD player's settings (not the TV's) and get it so its sound output was through the "audio out" as opposed to whatever it was.

Seems simple in hindsight eh ;) cheers for the help guys
I'd have said this: see what ports are on the subwoofer, and there may be something like "TV Audio In" or something similar. You can get a 2-phono-to-3.5-jack lead, that may be able to give you the sound.

But if you already have it working, why do I continue to complicate things?????

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 28, 2006 03:58AM
Posted by: matt3454
that looks like my dads old hifi, before it got robbed.. you didnt get it off the back of a van did you by any chance?;P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy