uk water shortage!!!

Posted by johnace 
uk water shortage!!!
Date: May 15, 2006 11:40PM
Posted by: johnace
I've just been watching the news and it seems that we in the uk are havin a serious water shortage!! and it is'nt even summer yet!
i can't understand how we can be so short of water,i mean were a small island surrounded by the stuff lol

Re: uk water shortage!!!
Date: May 15, 2006 11:43PM
Posted by: Muks_C
we had an unusually dry winter period, with a lot less rainfall that we should normally have had.

i saw a report about this a couple of months ago, saying some reservoirs are less than half full to the amount they should be after winter.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 15, 2006 11:47PM
Posted by: johnace
I know but it'getting so serious that we might have to stop using are in house taps and such and get our water from a cetral source i.e standpipes,wells etc

Date: May 15, 2006 11:58PM
where are you in the UK? the south usually is hotter and sufferes water shortages more than the north.

we've had hosepipe bans a few years ago, but the only time i remember having to get water from a tank on our street was when the pipes burst on the main road a few years ago, but never for a water shortage (i'm in Preston, Lancashire).

Date: May 16, 2006 12:00AM
Posted by: Covfan
Oh well, the South suffers.
Date: May 16, 2006 12:23AM
Posted by: six degrees
johnace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> i can't understand how we can be so short of
> water,i mean were a small island surrounded by the
> stuff lol
>
>

lmao..

Date: May 16, 2006 12:25AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
johnace Wrote:

> i can't understand how we can be so short of
> water,i mean were a small island surrounded by the
> stuff lol

Date: May 16, 2006 09:00AM
Posted by: fongu
why don't you take some of the rain away from us!

Date: May 16, 2006 09:56AM
Posted by: gav
Bastards pinching all of our water ;)
Date: May 16, 2006 11:08AM
Posted by: Lemming
we're an island..... surrounded by water! how can we have no water?!!?!

really tho, how to hotter countries get away with it? if they can do it, why can't we?

it's the same with snow. as soon as there's a flake of snow in the air, the whole country comes to a standstill, but other places have blizzards like every 2 hours and nobody cares.

Date: May 16, 2006 11:13AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
You guys do realise the difference between fresh (drinkable) water and salt water right? Ever tried drinking Salt water?

Anyway, no shortage up here (again) and not because we've had alot of rain either, its not been any more than normal. Every year Scotland sells fresh water reserves to England. For an extra million, I'll stop pissing in it first.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 16, 2006 01:49PM
other countries get away with it because they know they will be short on water so use it responsibly the whole year. we always complain of having too much rain, so never worry about wasting water throughout the whole year, then if something like this happens, we don't have the backup reserves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2006 05:23PM by Muks_C.
Date: May 16, 2006 03:44PM
Posted by: GLD
Same here in Sunny Wales Dave...water going over the border...hell they even flooded a valley to make a new reservoir to keep liverpool thirst free...

If nothing else, we have plenty of water tho :p

Please click my sig!
Date: May 16, 2006 03:53PM
Posted by: mikef1
A big problem for London is the number of burst water mains and the general incompetence of Thames Water in sorting themselves out. They are going to have big profits again this year apparently but we can't use our garden hoses. Add to that the incredible amount of new homes that have been built recently will only add to our problems.
Date: May 16, 2006 06:13PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Anyway, no shortage up here (again) and not
> because we've had alot of rain either, its not
> been any more than normal. Every year Scotland
> sells fresh water reserves to England. For an
> extra million, I'll stop pissing in it first.

Piss in it all ya like, it'll go through another 7 more before it gets to the end user ;)

Date: May 16, 2006 07:23PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Live in the East of england like me - you get as much rain as the South, but the water company doesnt piss it away in leaky pipes etc.:)

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: May 16, 2006 09:53PM
Posted by: harjinator
thing is, even if you waste loadsa water, it all ends up back in the waterways in the end...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: May 16, 2006 11:44PM
Posted by: gin
its the wrong type of leafes faulT!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy