Marko Martin plans to end rally career

Posted by Peat 
Marko Martin plans to end rally career
Date: January 07, 2006 10:19PM
Posted by: Peat
Estonian Markko Martin has revealed he plans to quit driving in the World Rally Championship.
The former Peugeot driver has not competed since his co-pilot Michael Park was killed in an accident during the Wales Rally GB in September.

"I will probably not enter the World Championship carousel any more," the 30-year-old Martin was quoted as saying in the Estonian press.

"Never say never, but I don't see myself doing it in the near future."

Martin was clearly shaken by Park's death but says the tragedy is not behind his decision to quit the sport.

"My career ended on a very bad note," said Martin.

"I feel terribly sorry for what happened but I know full well the chances were 50:50 that the same fate could have befallen me.

"I have always thought people should grow up at around the age of 30."

Martin has now set up his own junior squad in Estonia and is training two young drivers for the national rally championship.

He entered the WRC with a small Toyota team in 1998 before he was snapped up by Subaru.

Martin notched up five wins during his career and finished third in the drivers' standings in 2004.

BBC.CO.UK

Cant say i blame him for not wanting to go back but i really will miss him as a competitor.

Re: Marko Martin plans to end rally career
Date: January 08, 2006 12:38AM
Posted by: Red Sam
Strange.

That contrasts an interview in this weeks Autosport where he says he intends to be back...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: Marko Martin plans to end rally career
Date: January 08, 2006 12:47AM
Posted by: six degrees
hmm.

autosport wrong? what a shocker :p

shame he's left but it's definately an understandable decision, must be a massive weight on his conscience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy