Monitor Choice

Posted by madotter 
Monitor Choice
Date: January 05, 2006 12:33AM
Posted by: madotter
I call upon the techs here again :)

This...

Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-046-VS)
ViewSonic breaks the boundaries of speed time and time again with the XTREME PERFORMANCE, INDUSTRY-LEADING VIDEO RESPONSE TIME. The benchmark 2ms VX922, 19" LCD delivers incredible speed for smooth broadcast-quality, full-motion video. Combined with innovative Dynamic Structure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 12:34AM by madotter.
Re: Monitor Choice
Date: January 05, 2006 12:52AM
Posted by: villarule
Bleh bleh bleh. Upon further consider ration, why not buy a football team or something, make a profit and make an uber computer where you can buy what you like and never ask questions again :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 01:28AM by villarule.
Date: January 05, 2006 01:23AM
Posted by: six degrees
could always just buy both, I guess.
Date: January 05, 2006 01:24AM
Posted by: Zcott
That would certainly save trouble in the long run.

Date: January 05, 2006 01:29AM
Posted by: Incast

With its attractive THINEDGE ULTRA-SLIM BEZEL DESIGN, it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 01:30AM by Incast.
Date: January 05, 2006 01:33AM
Posted by: Karan19
With LCD monitor's, performance stats mean nothing especially the ones that the manufacturer's state on the box. I bet under normal operating settings neither of those will give you 2ms and 8ms response time respectively. Best is to try and check them out in a local store in person. If you cant do that then try and dig up as many reviews online, as you can, which test the monitor in various applications.
Date: January 05, 2006 01:56PM
Posted by: gav
Of the 2 mentioned, get the VP.

VPs are pretty awesome, and you'll never notice the difference in response times (I have a 16ms one, and can't see ghosting).

I've got the VX924 at work, and it's pretty faultless. A gaming grade monitor, but a bloody good all-rounder too. But if it's gaming you're into, the VPs have always been the better choice, looking at what I read when doing the same research you should do.
Date: January 06, 2006 09:54PM
Posted by: Glyn
Been looking at LCD panels myself lately, the Viewsonic ones do look pretty good.

I was just wondering though in terms of real life advantage a 1000:1 contrast ratio has over 650:1, and how a 650:1 would compare to a 550:1?

You see, theres about £100 difference between the models I'm looking at (VX922, VX924 and VP930)

Date: January 07, 2006 03:23AM
It's always best to look get the best you can, if that £100 isn't overly important, as you can easily filter out too much contrast if you think it's a touch overbearing.

If I'm honest, that's the 1 flaw of this monitor. It's got the 1000:1 contrast ratio, and it's probably a little too extreme if anything, though it's all adjustable in the graphics options.

What's with the 19"ness anyway Neil? Thought you were looking at a 2405FPW? There's a shiny new 30" model you know... ;-) [www1.us.dell.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 03:25AM by gav.
Date: January 07, 2006 12:35PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's with the 19"ness anyway Neil? Thought you
> were looking at a 2405FPW? There's a shiny new 30"
> model you know...

It's 3 weeks wages instead of 1 :P (and thats the 24" one not the 30" :-o)

Just had a look on the Dell site and found this -> [accessories.euro.dell.com]

They don't give response times, but they're probably pretty good. Decisions decisions decisions really, are Dell better than Viewsonic... argh!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 12:51PM by Glyn.
Date: January 07, 2006 01:54PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Those Dells are the gogs bollocks. Apart from being uber monitors, they look better than Viewsonics too.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 07, 2006 02:17PM
In all honesty I think the Viewsonics are better. The 20" and under Dells aren't often recommended. The 20" Dell would be very good, but 50% of them have bad backlighting issues.

If you're getting a 19", I think Viewsonic are the best way to go.

For anyone wanting a Dell 2405FPW (just for reference), they're available for £525.00 (inc VAT) here: [www.autdirect.co.uk]. I honestly cannot recommend them enough.
Date: January 07, 2006 05:39PM
Problem with the ex demo models, is the they might of been on for a very long time.

I was passing PC World today, so I popped in there to have a look. Not very conclusive as nobody knew what a contrast ratio was unless it said on the info panel, which was only displayed for the panels that wernt attached to PCs and they were off! (handy!)

One thing I have concluded though, is I think widescreen is the way to go, so time to start research from scratch :)

Date: January 07, 2006 06:25PM
Sorry, hadn't noticed they were ex demo (picked up the link from the Hexus bargains forum).

Dell normally do some silly offers though, as do other stores that stock them, so I'll keep my ear to the ground :)

If you do go widescreen, make sure the monitor allows you to run non-native resolutions without scaling (so for example 1024x768 in a pillarbox-like display). That way games and applications that don't support widescreen don't necessarily have to be horribly stretched. It's the same with any TFT really, but it's especially important with widescreens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 06:35PM by gav.
Date: January 07, 2006 06:29PM
Overclockers UK have an offer on it atm, but even then its still over 600 big ones :(

Date: January 07, 2006 06:36PM
I'd have happily pay £1000 for it. Seriously. Wait until Knockhill, have a look at mine, and you'll be wanting one. Lots.
Date: January 07, 2006 07:03PM
Posted by: skel
My boss has a Dell 2405FPW on his desk - its just not fair!!! I totally agree with Gav, they are very impressive....shame about the dell logo ;) Hmm....650....I do believe my student loan is arriving soon, but i've got that saved for the Speed7 wheel :)

Out of interest, how does GPL look on it Gav, seeing as its already in a squashed format?

SKEL

You can accuse a person of just about anything and get away with it, as long as you don't call them a lousy lover or bad driver. -Jackie Stewart
Date: January 07, 2006 07:49PM
Posted by: Alex@[GP]
i've been looking at this,
[www.ebuyer.com]

any thoughts?

[www.evoracingteam.co.uk]
Date: January 07, 2006 08:35PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I've looked at that to. Surely too good to be true? There must be a catch.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 07, 2006 09:05PM
skel Wrote:
> Out of interest, how does GPL look on it Gav,
> seeing as its already in a squashed format?

It's fine. You just use the widescreen hacked .dll, and select your res. Can't say I noticed it looks out of proportion or anything. It really shows up the marshalls and things though. They're bad in any res, but they it really fires it home how bad at this res.

NR2003 scales really, really well. The cockpit looks nothing short of staggering now (was running 1280x960 on a 19" CRT before). The dials, the little details, all suddenly look stunning. GTP looks even better. You do need a decent graphics card if you intend on running very high levels though - I've got an ATI X800XT, running 2xAA & 4xAF, at 1920x1200, but have to turn textures down to 'high' in game, and lower a few other options, such as turning off shadows, but only in races. In testing with a few other VTR guys, the frame rate is fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy