Israeli Prime Minister suffers "serious" stroke

Posted by Red Sam 
Israeli Prime Minister suffers "serious" stroke
Date: January 04, 2006 11:44PM
Posted by: Red Sam
From BBC:

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has suffered a "significant" stroke and is unconscious, doctors at Jerusalem's Hadassah hospital say.

Officials said the 77-year-old leader was on a respirator and had experienced "massive" cerebral bleeding.

The Israeli leader's powers have been transferred to his deputy Ehud Olmert.

Mr Sharon, 77, felt ill at his ranch in south Israel weeks after having a mild stroke and the night before he was due to undergo a minor heart operation.

He suffered a minor stroke on 18 December which doctors said could have been the result of a blood clot caused by the hole in the heart.

His doctors said he recovered fully then but required minor surgery for the heart problem.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon holds his weekly cabinet meeting, 1 January 2006
Sharon resumed his full workload after a stroke in December

Dr Shlomo Mor-Yosef told reporters at the hospital on Wednesday night that Mr Sharon had "massive bleeding and was being transferred to an operating theatre."

An Israeli TV station reported that Mr Sharon was suffering from paralysis in his lower body and had been taken into the hospital on a stretcher.

Mr Sharon, who has been prime minister since 2001, is severely overweight.

He had been planning to run for a third term in office under his newly-formed centrist party, Kadima, after quitting the ruling Likud party in November.

Polls suggest his new party is in the lead ahead of the election.

ANyone familar with Israeli politics will know that Sharon recently left his party and formed a new party, Kadima. He was very much the figurehead. If he cannot lead it for whatever reason, it loses its reason for existence. Very turbulant times indeed for Israeli politics.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: Israeli Prime Minister suffers "serious" stroke
Date: January 05, 2006 09:53AM
Posted by: mortal
Yeah this is very interesting Sam, I'm wondering what if any effect this will have on the current peace process, and will Tehran try to take advantage of the current situation. The current Iranian PM is a hardliner who wants Israel wiped off the map so they would try to use what's happening to their advantage. These are dark days for the Middle eastern peace process for sure. Sharon wont be back in any adminastrative capacity for sure and his absense will leave a big hole in Israeli politics. Only time will tell. I wonder if the acting PM will take the same stand and make the promised pre-emptive strike on Iranian nuclear enrichment sites in March or is it May, have to have a look at that again.
Even if he was to win the upcoming election, most likely anyway, he would have been taking office at 78 years of age which is a huge ask, just goes to show the mans folkloric popularity in Israel. This is a very interesting development in world affairs.
On a different subject I see Condoleeza Rice looks like a good runner for US Presidency in 08, I think she has what it takes, very telegenic too.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 05, 2006 10:41AM
Posted by: b-tone
it doesnt sound like he'll back in politics soon, if at all.
bound to be a bit of a shake up, but probably not enough to start WWIII

On a different subject I see Condoleeza Rice looks like a good runner for US Presidency in 08, I think she has what it takes, very telegenic too.

if that happens i can only hope bush's 'fly to mars' plan happens soon as it sounds nice..

____
Tony

Rumour also has it that the Democrats might want Hilary Clinton to run in '08 as well. Could be an interesting election.
Date: January 05, 2006 01:09PM
Posted by: Vader
Rumours also have it that certain Republicans would rather drop Arnie as govenor of California and support an election compaign of Aussie actor Mel Gibson instead.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 05, 2006 06:50PM
The Sharon situation leaves Israel in a weird situation. Israeli law states that if a PM is incapicated, the Deputy can take over for 100 days. Then, the President must discuss with the parties in the Israeli parliament who will form the next government. But as elections are due within 100 days, what is of more interest is what will happen to the Kadima party, and will Netinyahu (sp?), the hardline former PM, take power once more?

And in America, can Hilary Clinton appeal to the southern states enough to win? I dont think so...

RedSam

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: January 05, 2006 06:55PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
ppl tend to forget quite easily what happened in beirut

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: January 05, 2006 07:11PM
Not forget at all what happened in Beirut, but Sharon, for all his faults, is the centre ground in Israel right now..

RedSam

Date: January 05, 2006 09:44PM
Yes I have to agree, and what happened back in the 80's or in Beirut has no relevance right now. We are discussing what is happening today.
Mel Gibson? who would have thought it? Seems US politics is full of actors, now why does the word puppet spring to mind lol ;-/

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 05, 2006 09:57PM
Posted by: MarcA
I don't know a thing about him, and I don't have a clue about politics/

Nice name though ;)
Date: January 05, 2006 10:09PM
Maybe you should learn, it's your world after all, or maybe as you duck the incoming nuclear weapon you might want to know who it was that lobbed it in your direction lol ;-)

Date: January 06, 2006 08:43AM
i see the point about what happened in the past and what now but he ordered the murder of ppl back then. that cannot be forgotten imo.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: January 06, 2006 08:46AM
Yeah we know but for some reaon he is a national hero and the Yanks just love him.

Date: January 06, 2006 08:50AM
yes thats true.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: January 06, 2006 06:56PM
Don't forget that many of the Palestinian leadership have ordered killings over the years - many more than Sharon has.

I'm not saying its right, but noones hands are clean in this one.

RedSam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy