Jobs/Occupations

Posted by GLD 
Re: Jobs/Occupations
Date: January 05, 2006 12:56AM
Posted by: villarule
Im doing a BTEC National Diploma for ICT Practioners at college atm, then thinking of moving to the Higher National Diploma.

I have a 'part time' job at the local Currys store in the warehouse. I normally do around 20 Hours a week with that.

Date: January 05, 2006 03:32AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Bernie The Bolt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same here....It's painfully slow at my work as
> well...10:20 and I've got one job on my desk, then
> nothing..might take tomorrow off.

heh wish i could take tommorrow off, that would just rock.

Date: January 05, 2006 04:18AM
Posted by: ZaZ
after being a software engineer, i'm now manager of the same company which writes software for hospitals.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: January 05, 2006 09:53AM
Posted by: Glyn
IT technician here. Good job to start off in IT as you get the chance to do a bit of everything. General computer knowledge, lots of networking, and if you can, a bit of programming too. If you go down this route though, networking is where you should look at as thats where the higher paid jobs are if you really know your stuff.

Date: January 05, 2006 01:21PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
How did you get into IT glyn?

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 05, 2006 02:37PM
Posted by: gav
Glyn Wrote:
> IT technician here.

Same for me, though less network orientated - more of a general do-it-all - small school, so it's not too much to keep on top of the network, hardware, software, and some admin bits and pieces too. Unfortunately this place (as well as every Middle school) is closing in 2007-2009 (haven't had a definitive date as of yet) as County look to go 2-tier in Northumberland.

Got bored going up the education ladder of GNVQs, so went a different route myself - started an NVQ with job placement, so as well as the qualification, you get a real chance of being kept in the job, and at worst a reference and some real work experience. I got kept on.
Date: January 05, 2006 07:07PM
Posted by: bazza
I'm a systems analyst/programmer for a dairy company. I won't go into details, cos I don't understand most of them anyway =D
Date: January 05, 2006 08:50PM
Posted by: Glyn
-qwerty- Wrote:
> How did you get into IT glyn?

I did an AVCE after I left college, and then converted that into a HND in Computing. Sadly, it's much easier to get a job in IT if you have a degree, but it doesn't mean you're any better, in fact, at work, only 2 people on IT support team have degrees, and none are in IT!

What did it for me though was doing some voluntary work at my mums primary school. Doing odd IT related things like installing software and the like, really looks good on the CV, and I'm pretty sure thats what got me the job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy