Having problems with my wireless MS mouse

Posted by MarcLister 
Having problems with my wireless MS mouse
Date: November 24, 2005 05:10PM
Posted by: MarcLister
I've got a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 and I've gotten fed up with the jerkiness of the mouse. The pointer just won't move smoothly over the screen. It will move fine for a while and then start getting jerky and really annoying. I've installed Intellipoint and it tells me that the batteries are in good condition and the wireless connection is excellent. The receiver is not even a foot from the mouse.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I can't think what could be wrong. The mouse is being used on a wooden desk but I can't see how that could be causing a problem, especially with the problem being intermittent.
Re: Having problems with my wireless MS mouse
Date: November 24, 2005 05:29PM
Posted by: villej
Hmm... Does the pointer move smoothly if you put a normal A4 paper sheet under the mouse and use it as a 'pad'?

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 05:31PM by villej.
Date: November 24, 2005 05:31PM
It does seem better. I'll try this for a while. What kind of mousemat do you think would work for an optical mouse?
Date: November 24, 2005 05:43PM
Basically it souldn't need any, but if the surface under the mouse is too solid it may cause problems. Optical mouse counts 'interstices' on the surface it's placed on, and if the surface is too solid it can't count them properly. Basically anything that isn't metal or very solid wood should be ok, that's why I also asked you to try with paper sheet.

If placing the A4 sheet under the mouse doesn't help, then we at least know that the problem isn't in optical sensor. But if it does, then your desk is just a little too solid, and you'll need to buy some kind of a mousemat.
I have used my Intellimouse 1 with an A4 sheet under it for ages though. :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 05:47PM by villej.
Date: November 24, 2005 05:47PM
It's just a bog standard desk. Not exactly solid oak or anything. Weird, it seems better but now there is friction between the mouse and paper.
Date: November 24, 2005 05:55PM
Posted by: Lemming
my mouse won't work properly on my desk, i have to have a piece of paper on it. i think it's because of the patterns in the wood that the mouse doesn't like and it's picking it up and getting confused.

it's fine with a piece of paper under it, i'm guessing a plain mousemat will be fine too.

Date: November 24, 2005 05:58PM
Lemming Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my mouse won't work properly on my desk, i have to
> have a piece of paper on it. i think it's because
> of the patterns in the wood that the mouse doesn't
> like and it's picking it up and getting confused.
>
> it's fine with a piece of paper under it, i'm
> guessing a plain mousemat will be fine too.
>
>
> (ha, bet nobody else is)
>
>
Cheers Lemming. I'm probably going to get an MX1000 for my new PC. Might get it sooner and see if that can cope with my desk. My flatmate has a wired MS optical mouse and the same kind of desk but I don't think he has any problems.

Date: November 24, 2005 09:45PM
Posted by: Glyn
If your desk surface is shiny that can cause problems too (try putting the mouse on a mirror :)) especially if the room is well lit.

Date: November 24, 2005 09:57PM
Wouldn't say it was shiny. Just a bit reflective. The paper works a bit but not enough. I plan to buy the Logitech MX 1000 soon. I might buy the Apple wireless keyboard and a bluetooth dongle as well. It should work OK in Windows?
Date: November 24, 2005 10:58PM
Posted by: Karan19
i had the exact same problem Marc. it also was a MS wireless optical mouse. I used it for about a week and returned it. Got tired of the constant jerkiness and it was too heavy. Bit annoying when you go from a superlight (albeit wired) to that thing. Right now i'm using a BenQ wireless mouse and it works pretty good.
Date: November 24, 2005 11:11PM
Really? Glad it isn't just me then. I think it's just gotten worse. It was alright when I first got it. The wired optical mice we have at Uni and that my flatmate has are lovely and light compared to this. I'm getting fed up with wires and so won't bother with a wired mouse again, maybe for a cheap spare though.

Have you got a wireless keyboard? I like the look of the Apple wireless keyboard but I'm not sure what it would be like in Windows.
Date: November 25, 2005 12:08AM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
I seem to have had the exact opposite problem. My MS wireless mouse (can't remeber the exact model off-hand) hated been used with paper and a proper mousepad, but works perfectly just sitting on my desk (unpolised wood). Weird.
Date: November 25, 2005 12:32AM
Posted by: senninho
Anything that reflects enough can cause problems for optical mice. I actually had a bit of smooth card taped to my desk at one point to stop it.

As for the Apple keyboard - it looks good, but Apple keyboards have never really been up there with top-spec PC ones. Their new 'Mighty Mouse' (more than one button!) is thoroughly impressive, though.

Date: November 25, 2005 09:58AM
Posted by: gav
MarcLister Wrote:
> I'm getting fed up with wires and so won't
> bother with a wired mouse again, maybe for a cheap
> spare though.

I've got both. A Logitech MX900 (part of the DiNovo 2.0) and an old USB Logitech cheap thing, which I think came from work at some point or another. Useful when batteries die unexpectidly.
Date: November 25, 2005 10:48AM
Posted by: villarule
Ive got a Creative Labs Optical Wireless 5000 which only cost me around £15. Its 800dpi and seems pretty precise. Its seems that the cursor can move on its own sometimes, but otherwise its very good, and extremly battery efficient. I use it as my main mouse, mainly because I cant afford a more expensive one, but its a great backup as well.

Date: November 25, 2005 10:59AM
Well, I have 6 year old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1. :P I think it's Microsofts first consumer optical mouse. Has served me well since I got it. :) The silver paint on it is very worn though, it's almost white. :|

Date: November 25, 2005 11:13AM
Posted by: b-tone
i got some cordless logitech mouse and it was terrible. like fighting a baboon or something.
i took it away and put my corder logitech one back which is pretty bad too.

but maybe my desk is too smooth and shiny. i actually keep polishing the mouse are becase i thought iwas too rough :p

thanks for the tips - any more on what to do wit the logitech cordless one?

____
Tony

Date: November 25, 2005 11:29AM
Posted by: gav
Get an Icemat :D

Got a blue one. Great glass mouse-mat. I know mouse-mats aren't needed usually with opticals, but they do improve your control a good bit.
Date: November 25, 2005 12:23PM
gav Wrote:
> Get an Icemat :D
>
> Got a blue one. Great glass mouse-mat. I know
> mouse-mats aren't needed usually with opticals,
> but they do improve your control a good bit.
>
> __________
>
> VaderTrophy.com Give Yourself.

Been thinking of getting one. But I have a new conundrum to fathom, what colour! Ooh the choices.

Date: December 06, 2005 10:38PM
Posted by: Dinga
Have the same mouse and it's the biz! However, had the same problems you are describing until I installed the v5.2 Intellipoint drivers.Get them on Microsoft's site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy