Sorted out Currys

Posted by madotter 
Sorted out Currys
Date: November 08, 2005 11:41PM
Posted by: madotter
DAMN!!

This is typical me, rush into things without checking!!

Ok, so the new Plasma I bought was sold to me as a HD Ready set, these words came out of the assistants mouth... but is it? NO

Its HD 'Compatible' which basically means it will get a reduced quality picture from HD. Now ive checked and can take the TV back for a full refund as the sales assistant just lied in my face to make some commission. Turns out the high deff demo instore it just a clip that can be played on any old TV. THANKS CURRYS!

So, what now? Ive looked into another Plasma which you can see here (cost is £1999) it has a high res screen and is fully HDTV Ready, more colours etc...

[reviews.cnet.co.uk]

Please give me some feedback so i dont make the same mistake again!

Cheers
Iain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2005 07:56PM by madotter.
Re: DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!
Date: November 08, 2005 11:44PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
THANKS CURRYS!

Theres you problem, but you have now learnt the lesson. Sales reps in these stores know NOTHING. they get extra pay for seeling more and expensive stuff. If he thinks you'll be belive "READY" then he'll say it. Never trust there opinions. Get your research done first, walk in and say "I want THIS one" and if he tries to change your mind, tell him no.

Unlucky dude, but you'll not make that mistake again

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 09, 2005 12:23AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Surley if it had one of those big "HD Ready" stickers on it, you'd be able to take it back? saying it was false advertising?

Really tho, the only way you can shop for a TV is going into stores and really, Using your eyes! :) Jot down which TV's look good, come home and look for reviews, prices etc... IMO you can't really shop for a HD Ready TV with stats alone.

Also try looking at Samsung, Sharp and Sony's TV's, they were very good when I was shopping for a HDTV :) granted I was shopping for a LCD tho....

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: November 09, 2005 12:34AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
That why you shouldnt throw money away without research Iain ;)
I want to buy a new mp3 player and have finally decided on the Creative Zen Touch 20GB but thats like 2-3 weeks of research and reading other opinions before even contemplating ordering.

And these are words from a 16 year old ;)

But lesson learnt i guess and i doubt you will repeat it again........go get your money back :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 01:31AM by Mini Maestro.
Date: November 09, 2005 12:37AM
Posted by: Karan19
Like Mini said,its all about research research research...! I did like a month of research over a $500 digicamera.
Date: November 09, 2005 12:47AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
Pioneer all the way baby :)

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 09, 2005 01:38AM
So what do u guys think of the TV (on the link)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:43AM
Posted by: Zcott
I think you should research it for longer.

Date: November 09, 2005 01:48AM
well, it says for sure (on official website and the place i wanna buy it) that its a 'New generation screen with more detailed picture' 1024x1024. Its deffo full HD-TV Ready. What more do i need to check?

Heres what the official website says:

106cm Visible Plasma Widescreen Television
PICTURE MASTER Advanced Processor
HDTV Ready
New H4 Panel
Ultra Slim Design
Motorised Swivel Stand
High Quality Screen Resolution - 1024 x 1024 pixels
3 x SCART Sockets (RGB)

Hitachi's PICTURE MASTER Technology, like all the best ideas, is easily explained. But behind the elegant simplicity of our flat panel TVs, there's a lot going on.

Full Digital Signal Processing and Scaling ensures that the signal remains pure and clean, while High Quality Digital Image Pixel Processing Technology analyses every pixel in each image signal. Two hi-tech chips work together to handle the process.

Firstly, the new 1024 Progressive Processing system up-scales incoming signals, adding extra pixels to create unparalleled sharpness and detail to our HDTV ready panels. Then the Super Dynamic Contrast function analyses pictures to enhance picture quality in dark scenes and provide even richer blacks.

In addition, Hitachi Plasma TVs boast 68.6 billion colours thanks to the 12-bit Advanced Digital Colour Management which reproduces 4093 colour graduations. Finally, there's the High Quality Video Motion processing system, with a High Speed Calculation process which controls every on-screen pixel to avoid any blurring.

Hitachi's unique technology gives our 7000 Series state-of-the-art picture quality.

With a palette of up to 68 billion colours, the H4 Plasma Panel provides high contrast levels to bring the most vivid colours to life.

All Hitachi Platara Plasma TV's deliver high resolution pictures, from 852 x 1024 pixels on the 32" (82cmv) model, to 1024 x 1024 pixels on the 37" (95cmV) and 42" (106cmV) models. What these figures mean is that pictures have more detail, more clarity and better definition, to give you a more dynamic, more satisfying and ultimately more enjoyable viewing experience.

From Shop website:

FEATURES
Dvi 1 Digital interface that carries picture only
Hdmi 1 Digital interface that carries both sound and picture signals
Scart 3 Number of Scart sockets included
Analogue Tuner Yes Receives conventional, analogue TV stations
Screen Size 42" Measured diagonally in inches
Includes Tuner Yes
Pc Input Yes Computer can be plugged in
High Resolution Screen Yes New generation screen with more detailed picture
Hd Ready Yes Fully ready for High Definition TV
Remote Control Yes Infra-red remote control included
Speakers Yes Stereo speakers standard
Stand Yes Desktop stand or feet included
Component Yes Analogue input which facilitates Progressive Scan
Svhs Yes S-Video input socket - video only signal

This is the thing, i dont really know 100% what im looking to check, thats where you lot come in :)

Iain

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 01:55AM by madotter.
Date: November 09, 2005 02:04AM
Posted by: Zcott
No, go and do some real research. Don't give me specs, give me user reviews and tech reviews from people who know what they're doing. Come back in a week with some real conclusive evidence: what the strengths are, what the weaknesses are, what other TVs are in the price range and what their pros/cons are.

If you're going to be spending £2923874928374 on a TV, you should at least know what you're getting yourself into.

Date: November 09, 2005 02:08AM
well, im off to see one in the flesh in a couple of days, going to richer sounds. Ill ask the tech people there what the best plasma would be with my price range. Atleast that way i can have a good butchers!
Date: November 09, 2005 02:08AM
Also to get you started, I've had a brief look, and I seem to have Panasonic popping up on everyones good reviews... maybe you should start your reserch there ;)

Date: November 09, 2005 02:20AM
Just been looking at panasonic, dont seem as good, lower res. Checked out loads of reviews from different sites. Only 1 guy had a problem with the screen but it was replaced and he says its great now. All the other reviews are 5*

It also won 'Best What Video Widescreen Tv Buy' in 2005. general website reviews are saying its the best plasma for the money and no apparent faults.

Ill keep looking tho :)
Date: November 09, 2005 04:50AM
wat is it with dam britsh people and their love of scart plugs!!!

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 09, 2005 08:57AM
Im afraid that the 'norm' connection over here. it can be replaced (i.e component leads for PS2/DVD/Cable)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:11AM
it should be replaced :P!

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 09, 2005 09:45AM
Posted by: gav
Do a Googley search for the model number + conclusion.

Usually turns up plenty of reviews, without looking into the often biased comments in shops and price comparison stores. You'll struggle to find many independant results on things such as this, as companies don't often release a £2,000 review sample.

On the subject of your old one, I'll just stay quiet this time ;-)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:50AM
On the subject of your old one, I'll just stay quiet this time

Gav...... quiet....... Thats a first ;)

Date: November 09, 2005 10:54AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
lol!

good advice from zcott though.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Re: Sorted out Currys
Date: November 10, 2005 08:01PM
Ok, things are now sorted with Currys (just dont buy anything from them... EVER) all they do is lie and tell you what you want to hear so that the scabby bastards can get their commission.

Anyway, ordered this baby and collection in a couple of days :)

Heres the specs (ill give you a detailed user opinion when i get it)

106cm Visible Plasma Widescreen Television
HD Ready
Built-in TV Tuner
High Screen Resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels
3 x SCART Sockets (2 x RGB)
HDMI and Component Sockets
15-pin D-Sub PC Socket
Panel Luminance of 1200 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
2 x 10W RMS Output
Headphone Socket for Personal Viewing

Thats a massive improvement over the LG res which was just 852 x 480. its HD Ready not HD Compatible and has better audio.

Obviously you guys cant SEE if its any better but is there anything (on paper) that should worry me?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy