DDR2 Memory + mobo

Posted by madotter 
DDR2 Memory + mobo
Date: October 30, 2005 10:56PM
Posted by: madotter
Is there a massive benifit over DDR and what mobos support/dont support DDR2?

Also, are there any mobos out there that support dual channel in all 4 slots yet?

Cheers
Iain
Re: DDR2 Memory + mobo
Date: October 30, 2005 11:50PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
what are you talking about, I mean you need to specify a couple things.

Only intel are using ddr2 for their lga775 motherboards / cpus. AMD will use it for M2 socket (replaces 939 next year) but you can't use it for present 939 boards.

Plus the timings are a little poo still, but its getting better all the time, coming on leaps and bounds.

Why do you ask? Once we know that we can give a more specific answer.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 31, 2005 12:50AM
Posted by: madotter
I asked if ddr2 was supported on all mobos, u answered no just on lga775
If you remember, you (or someone else) told me that only the 1st 2 slots can be dual channel and the other two had to be single sided or something, i just wondered it that was down to the socket type or mobo
Date: October 31, 2005 10:12AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
The other issue of number of modules is an am64 problem. With san diego (ie FX, Opterons and 3700 / 4000) and venice (3000, 3200) cores, which are the newest ones, you are limited to EITHER 2 sticks of ram at full ddr400 1T speeds, or 4 sticks at ddr400 2T. Its just a limit on the meory controller, since the p4s don't have onboard controllers it isnt an issue for them.

If you could find 4 sticks of SINGLE sided ram (most are double, in fact pretty much all) then 4 sticks would work at 1T.

btw I didnt mean "what are you talking about" as if you are crazy, rather that if there was a specific reason (ie you wanted a new pc, or switching to intel) then I could give a more specific reply see.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy