Date: October 30, 2005 06:57PM
Posted by: Willb
UM Ill have your old mobo and CPu for £20 :) lol *Hopes*

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Re: Time for an upgrade....
Date: October 30, 2005 07:06PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Hmmm, looking round, people are saying with Opteron 146 vs 3800 X2, they would go for the 3800 X2...

My choice is this... either buy a Opteron 146 now, overclock it to buggery at least to 2.8Ghz and then upgrade to a 4400 X2 later on sometime (That way I could probably sell the Opteron for about £80 on ebay or something and the price of the 4400 may come down by then) or.... buy the 3800 X2 now and get another 7800GT later and run it in SLi

I dunno what to dooooo :';(

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: October 30, 2005 07:09PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Go for the Oppie then get the 4400 or even 4800, could be cheap enough by "sometime". AMD have announced a 5000, rumour is it could be a 5000 X2, would make sense considering the 4800 X2 and the 4000 SD single core. If the 5000 is indeed an X2 the 4800's could drop in price.
Date: October 30, 2005 07:48PM
Posted by: villarule
Just a little q, because im so tight, im looking at just sticking to a 3200+ when I build my next rig, and then going dual core later on. Is there a difference between the venice and winchester core? Also, OC have the opertron 144 for £99 inc. VAT, is that good value to look into, and how far would it over clock?

Date: October 30, 2005 07:58PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
the venice is a newer core than the winchester, its got a better memory controller and has SSE3 tho winchester may have sse3.

The 144, so long as you've got some decent ram, will do around 2.6ghz imo, + the 1mb cache too.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 30, 2005 08:17PM
Posted by: gav
Don't even need decent RAM if you've got a motherboard that has a memory divider, or can lock the memory speed. And decent motherboard can do this. Certainly all nForce 4 and recent ATi based motherboards have the capability, should the motherboard vendor choose to enable it in the BIOS.
Date: October 30, 2005 11:51PM
True enough - though obviously its better perf wise to not have ot use a divider.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: October 31, 2005 12:03AM
Posted by: villarule
Im aiming at 1GB DDR 400 Corsair Value RAM with an Asus A8N-SLI board.

Date: October 31, 2005 12:18AM
-qwerty- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True enough - though obviously its better perf
> wise to not have ot use a divider.

No performance loss at all from using a divider with Athlon 64s.
Date: October 31, 2005 10:47AM
oh really? How does that work then?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: October 31, 2005 12:40PM
Pass... no idea.

The old nForce2s suffered performance loss if you used a memory divider - quite a significant one too, but the NF4 and new ATI chipset doesn't lose anything at all.

Of course you won't gain anything RAM wise as you're not running memory at stupid speeds, but you still get an undiluted CPU and Hypertransport (FSB) speed.
Date: November 01, 2005 06:23PM
I may possibly be getting the Dell this week ;) found somewhere where I can get it for £550, but I'm trying to wangle it down a bit atm hehe! so if I get that, I deffo need a upgrade to get it going at 1920x1200 ;)

Date: November 05, 2005 09:58PM
Well I'm just bought all the parts :D so I'm just about to start backing up info ready for me to rebuild! Hopefully I'll be back at about 11pm with how its gone hehe ^_^

P.S. If I don't report back tonight, you can safely assume that my pc has exploded, or I've died, one of the two! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 09:58PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: November 06, 2005 01:01AM
Posted by: madotter
give us a full spec rundown of your new system!!

if your not dead that is... ;)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:41AM
Well that took alot longer than expected...

Firstly found that my PSU was goddamn incompatible! F'ing 24 pin connector instead of a 20 pin connector, so had to go all the way back down to overclockers to pick up a PSU >_< got back, built it, then ended up it didn't want to boot with a beep code which indicates that the mobo's dead :| so I gave up for the night... was dismantling it the next morning putting my old system back together, when I decided to just try it again for the hell of it and it worked! :o

Seems my RAM is duff, as it has the same problem as on my old board, crashes at DDR400, so just left it at DDR333, still works and now with the added bonus of Dual RAM working! :) No urgency to upgrade that atm, it works, leave it as it is ;)

Now I've finally got it all working, I can safley say this was one of the most annoying PC's I've built, but got there in the end ^_^ It was all worth it when I got Call Of Duty 2 installed and was greeted by these GFX's and running at 40FPS instead of 1FPS :)

So now my PC Spec is -

AMD +3800 X2 Dual Core (Clocked at 2400Mhz atm... Try to go higher tomorrow :D)
DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (Award for the most Useless Manual ;))
TwinMOS 1GB Dual DDR400
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB (Clocked at 475/1140)
TerraTec Aureon 7.1 FireWire
Dual BlackGold DVB-T Tuner
2x 160GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drives 7200RPM
Lite-On DVD Drive and Lite On DVD/RW (16x/16x)
XP MCE

Just like to say thanks for everyones help and opinions ^_^ Everyones help was invaluable ;) Now to install GTP! :P

Date: November 07, 2005 09:51AM
Posted by: madotter
how do you find out what FPS your running on CoD2?
Date: November 07, 2005 10:30AM
Ian: were you using all 4 RAM slots with the new RAM? That's a known problem - the CPU can't cope with the load at the moment.

Piece of advice I always give when things start going wrong for no reason is to always reseat the RAM and graphics card, a little more forcibly. Wouldn't have helped in your case, but does in many others.

Glad you got there in the end. What was the RAM by the way, just out of curiosities sake?

Iain, by using FRAPS or a similar program.
Date: November 07, 2005 01:44PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ian: were you using all 4 RAM slots with the new
> RAM? That's a known problem - the CPU can't cope
> with the load at the moment.
>
> Piece of advice I always give when things start
> going wrong for no reason is to always reseat the
> RAM and graphics card, a little more forcibly.
> Wouldn't have helped in your case, but does in
> many others.
>
> Glad you got there in the end. What was the RAM by
> the way, just out of curiosities sake?
>
> Iain, by using FRAPS or a similar program.
>
> __________
>
> VaderTrophy.com Give Yourself.

Nah just the two slots, I've got 2x512MB TwinMOS PC3200 Ram cards Its always had the problem where it wouldn't work at 200Mhz since day 1, but I couldn't be arsed to try and take it back to overclockers... More trouble than its worth.....

I did try reseating the cards, even tried a old S3 PCI Graphic Card! :) Had no effect.. strangley enough, I tried my RAM in my works PC, just to check it still worked, which it did, so I bought my works PC RAM across to try that and that worked :| so I put the Dual RAM back in, and that decided to work for no reason lol! However I did find out that you have to put the RAM into the DIMM2+4 slots, not DIMM1+3 I had it in originally... If the useless manual had maybe told me that, would have saved alot of trouble.....

@Iain, just put

+set thereisacow 1337 +set developer 1 +set sv_cheats 1 +set monkeytoy 0

in your shortcut.. press the ¬ key ingame and type - cg_drawFPS 1

That'll display your FPS :)

Also a bit of advice here, in COD2, ALWAYS set "Optimise for SLi Mode" even if you only have a single card, it usually gives you a 5%-20% boost in FPS :-o

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 01:55PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: November 13, 2005 02:46AM
Hmmm, just found something interesting... It seems TwinMOS offer a lifetime warranty on all its RAM chips which haven't been discontinued, and my chips are still in production it seems... Maybe worth a try sending them back! ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy